Most people say disabled people SHOULD have to pay to park - what do you think?

Banned 250 replies
Found 20th Jan
Plans to charge blue badge holders for parking in Plymouth council car parks has provoked strong reaction on social media.

It comes after we published a story revealing how disabled drivers who currently park for free in all of Plymouth's council-run car parks could be charged the same as able-bodied motorists from April.

Plymouth City Council said the change would raise an extra £270,000, and is offering an optional £40 yearly permit for city residents.

A pair of disabled campaigners say a plan to charge blue badge holders in council car parks is "unacceptable discrimination" and could spark a rise in social isolation.

https://s23.postimg.org/wyfal80az/Screenshot_2017_01_20_at_3_53_21_PM.png

https://s28.postimg.org/rfqkwymkt/Screenshot_2017_01_20_at_3_54_05_PM.png

https://s27.postimg.org/5lscncs3n/Screenshot_2017_01_20_at_3_55_22_PM.png

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
250 Comments

I never understood why they never had to pay, all the blue badge holders Ive ever seen have modern sometimes luxury cars . So why does having a blue badge mean you cant afford a ticket like the rest of the world.
Mind you if they do start paying we will probably see more parked on double yellow lines on blind bends and street corners.

I accept that they need accessible parking, and that should be a given, however as you find out when you lose your license driving is a privilidge. Free parking is not part of that, what next free fuel?

pay using the benefits that they receive, what's the point.

I think it's "unacceptable discrimination" that Blue Badge holders don't have to pay for parking. I fully appreciate the location of parking bays in a car park but never understand why they're able to park for free.

Surely if running the car is affordable, then so should be the parking of the car. If it's the being on disability benefit that justifies the free parking, then surely that should apply to anyone on benefits?

Glad you amended that Peeej1978

browneyone

pay using the benefits that they receive, what's the point.

There's lots of people on benefits, not just disability benefits. They don't get feee parking, so why should one strand of benefits get the perk but not others? The point is that if you can afford to run a car, you should be able to afford to park that car.

rhinopaul

Glad you amended that Peeej1978

Apologies, my comment wasn't supposed to be a direct reply to you. Although I agree with you.

Not in favour.

peeej1978

Apologies, my comment wasn't supposed to be a direct reply to you. … Apologies, my comment wasn't supposed to be a direct reply to you. Although I agree with you.

No worries, I realised who it was a reply to.

Original Poster Banned

davewave

Not in favour.

How long have you had your blue badge, dave? X)

MrScotchBonnet

How long have you had your blue badge, dave? X)

never had one, but I do feel disabled people get a rough deal in life and free parking isnt a high price.

I am on a basic state pension (£538 per month & no private pension) & I have to pay for parking.
Edited by: "landros1" 20th Jan

Some blue badge holders are entitled to a free car so parking fees surely can be afforded.

peeej1978

Surely if running the car is affordable, then so should be the parking of … Surely if running the car is affordable, then so should be the parking of the car. If it's the being on disability benefit that justifies the free parking, then surely that should apply to anyone on benefits?

It's free because many disabled people don't have a choice. If you're able bodied you have the option of cycling or walking which are free, that isn't generally an option for the disabled, depending on the disability even using public transport can be problematic.

Original Poster Banned

davewave

never had one, but I do feel disabled people get a rough deal in life and … never had one, but I do feel disabled people get a rough deal in life and free parking isnt a high price.

I think you would need to judge it on a case by case basis to assume they get a rough deal, i'm sure some of them live very comfortable lives and a lot of them are happy to lend their badge out to family.

MrScotchBonnet

I think you would need to judge it on a case by case basis to assume they … I think you would need to judge it on a case by case basis to assume they get a rough deal, i'm sure some of them live very comfortable lives and a lot of them are happy to lend their badge out to family.

maybe, but all in all, being disabled is not something I would wish for anyone in my family and I wouldn't see free parking as much of a perk.

landros1

I am on a basic state pension (£538 per month & no private pension) & I … I am on a basic state pension (£538 per month & no private pension) & I have to pay for parking.

do you get free travel?

Do you think you should get free parking?

Edited by: "davewave" 20th Jan

What a nasty small minded society we've become. My god, getting all nose disjointed over a few parking spaces for people who got dealt a rough hand in life.

spoo

It's free because many disabled people don't have a choice. If you're … It's free because many disabled people don't have a choice. If you're able bodied you have the option of cycling or walking which are free, that isn't generally an option for the disabled, depending on the disability even using public transport can be problematic.

since wen is cycling free. are you giving out cycles and maintenance equipment and extra hygiene perks for free. council car parks should be free for everyone we already pay the council for the services maybe er should get a choice how much we pay or at least how much toward certain things. ​

MrScotchBonnet

I think you would need to judge it on a case by case basis to assume they … I think you would need to judge it on a case by case basis to assume they get a rough deal, i'm sure some of them live very comfortable lives.....

I'm sure some disabled people do whereas others are really struggling, but it's case of giving free parking across the board of abolishing it entirely. It's a similar situation to the winter fuel allowance which can be claimed by all pensioners even if they're millionaires, but as the cost of means testing exceeds the amount that would be saved it's just more cost effective to give it to everyone.

MrScotchBonnet

..... and a lot of them are happy to lend their badge out to family.

More like a tiny minority imo. If you get caught lending out you badge you lose it, just not worth the risk for the sake of a few quid.

cowsindahouse

What a nasty small minded society we've become. My god, getting all nose … What a nasty small minded society we've become. My god, getting all nose disjointed over a few parking spaces for people who got dealt a rough hand in life.

So whats your argument that they should get free parking. A lot of people get dealt a bad hand.

muddassarsardar

since wen is cycling free. are you giving out cycles and maintenance … since wen is cycling free. are you giving out cycles and maintenance equipment and extra hygiene perks for free. council car parks should be free for everyone we already pay the council for the services maybe er should get a choice how much we pay or at least how much toward certain things. ​

muddassarsardar

since wen is cycling free. are you giving out cycles and maintenance … since wen is cycling free. are you giving out cycles and maintenance equipment and extra hygiene perks for free. council car parks should be free for everyone we already pay the council for the services maybe er should get a choice how much we pay or at least how much toward certain things. ​

Fair enough it's not free but still cheaper than any mode of transport other than walking and my point still stands that the disabled don't have this as an option.

The whole point of the blue badge system is to help people with mobility problems, you will only get a blue badge if you qualify for the mobility component of the disability allowance, having such mobility problems can prevent you from using more affordable means of transport, like walking, cycling, public transport and therefore a car can be an essential tool that allows a disabled person to live a life with a bit of normality,the cost of parking charges and running a car can therefore be a massive expenditure to make from their benefits that an abled-bodied person does not have to make.

Would any of you deny an amputee a prosthetic because of the costs involved?

They should pay half price only because maybe they take longer to do their shopping due to their disability. But they should pay as the country is broke and as David Cameron said "we are all in this together".

chuckiedoll

Some blue badge holders are entitled to a free car so parking fees surely … Some blue badge holders are entitled to a free car so parking fees surely can be afforded.

​free cars doesn't make sense maybe they should get them mobility scooters for free and then say free travel transport for any far away hospital appointments etc.that way they can help 10x more disabled people than know and free public transport for everyone

coys67

The whole point of the blue badge system is to help people with mobility … The whole point of the blue badge system is to help people with mobility problems, you will only get a blue badge if you qualify for the mobility component of the disability allowance, having such mobility problems can prevent you from using more affordable means of transport, like walking, cycling, public transport and therefore a car can be an essential tool that allows a disabled person to live a life with a bit of normality,the cost of parking charges and running a car can therefore be a massive expenditure to make from their benefits that an abled-bodied person does not have to make.Would any of you deny an amputee a prosthetic because of the costs involved?

No but if an amputee wanted a gold plated prosthetic and expect the rest of us to subsidise it then it should be questioned.Of course there are poor blue badge holders as there are poor non blue badge holders but those that I have seen drive around in expensive cars and they dont shop at Aldi or iceland.

davewave

do you get free travel?Do you think you should get free parking?

I do not get anything that I have not paid in for for for 53 years for (retired at 68 due to accident) and yes I get a bus pass which many get after paying in very little for it.

No, I do not feel I should get free parking.
Edited by: "landros1" 20th Jan

I think it depends on certain factors ie are they working or not. if they're working then yes they should pay the same as everyone else. but it's not as simple as making a disabled person simply just pay. just my opinion

landros1

I do not get anything that I have not paid in for for for 53 years for … I do not get anything that I have not paid in for for for 53 years for (retired at 68 due to accident) and yes I get a bus pass which many get after paying in very little for it.

Good for you, lets not squeeze cash out of the disabled, very mean.

rhinopaul

So whats your argument that they should get free parking. A lot of people … So whats your argument that they should get free parking. A lot of people get dealt a bad hand.

Why not, a few free parking spaces is hardly a lot is it. I think a vein is too far protruding from your head, maybe cut down on the steroids.

Disabled parking should be free. Helping the vulnerable members of society is a sign of civility.

well there's some people really passionate about getting free parking one guy broke his leg to get the blue badge

I'm disabled and have a blue badge, in some council car parks where I live charge blue badge holders to park I don't mind paying but don't think I should, I don't drive a brand new car as I get the money instead, others choose to get a car instead of the money that's how they drive round in new flash cars, the money helps me maintain my car so I can get around, I've worked all my life and had to give up work 3 years ago, I don't think blue badge holders should have to pay, I'm not a lazy benefit scrounger and would give anything just to have 1 day not being in pain and run around with my kids, if any of you was disabled I bet you would be glad not having to pay to park !!

Banned

Am I the only one here who is mad about Spurs and actually thinks if you're disabled, your parking SHOULD be free?

coys67

The whole point of the blue badge system is to help people with mobility … The whole point of the blue badge system is to help people with mobility problems, you will only get a blue badge if you qualify for the mobility component of the disability allowance, having such mobility problems can prevent you from using more affordable means of transport, like walking, cycling, public transport and therefore a car can be an essential tool that allows a disabled person to live a life with a bit of normality,the cost of parking charges and running a car can therefore be a massive expenditure to make from their benefits that an abled-bodied person does not have to make.Would any of you deny an amputee a prosthetic because of the costs involved?

​I have a blue badge for my severely disabled daughter who loves going out and we wouldn't be able to go to half the places we do if it weren't for the badge because we have to have enough clearance for her wheelchair and that requires a bigger than average car and parking space...I wish my daughter could run or walk to the park like other people's kids. we also have to pay for a whole lot of equipment and therapies for her which we do Not get on the NHS which is where most of our earnings are directed. also only my other half can work as I am her Full time carer therefore automatically we have been reduced to one income household... please think before you assume that all disabled badge holders are living a life of luxury due to the meagre benefits they get.and weigh that against having a disability.

cowsindahouse

Why not, a few free parking spaces is hardly a lot is it. I think a vein … Why not, a few free parking spaces is hardly a lot is it. I think a vein is too far protruding from your head, maybe cut down on the steroids.

Thats not an argument, when you can think of a good reason then come back with something more substantial than insults.

I'm not so much for or against it. What would help make a decent decision is why is it free in the first place?
As mentioned above it takes longer to get about. So why not make 1st 2 hours free then charge.

No not at all

woohoo1234

I think it's "unacceptable discrimination" that Blue Badge holders don't … I think it's "unacceptable discrimination" that Blue Badge holders don't have to pay for parking. I fully appreciate the location of parking bays in a car park but never understand why they're able to park for free.

Maybe a lot of them are unfit to work and as a result have no choice but to live on nothing they can't just go out and earn more money. Let alone being unable to get out much due to their disability.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA1886
    2. Anyone else bored of video gaming1220
    3. Orionid meteor shower over the weekend34
    4. Tickets on Sky VIP app44

See more discussions