Most underrated TV shows

Found 24th Apr 2009
(on air or cancelled/ended)

I say Jericho. So ****ed when it got cancelled. It was great. And also recently, Prison Break. I know they broke out of prison in Series 1, but I just wish the writers would've found a way to hold the viewers.

Also I call for a spinoff show titled 'Mahone'

1. Misc
  2. Movie
  3. TV
59 Comments

Firefly... thought that was brilliant .. Futurama & also the 4400

Only series one and 3 of Prison Break was any good.

I'm voting for American Gothic. lol

Banned

Peep Show really doesn't get the audience it deserves considering the amount of people who watch stuff like My Family.

Someone will say Studio 60 and they'll be half right - it was well written but felt too much like Sorkin venting his spleen.

South Park is the smartest show on tv and people still think it's all about the puerile gags.

Charlie Brooker's stuff.

Original Poster

kassy2005;5018305

Firefly... thought that was brilliant

I agree. Serenity was great too.

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;5018333

Someone will say Studio 60 and they'll be half right - it was well … Someone will say Studio 60 and they'll be half right - it was well written but felt too much like Sorkin venting his spleen.

Yeah true. 30 Rock is much better though.

Banned

Bhav007;5018343

Yeah true. 30 Rock is much better though.

Different beasts, but 30 Rock is underrated too.

Basically, anything vaguely intelligent is underrated by the majority of the tv audience because they're thick.

Stupid people watch rubbish tv.

Jericho had a good plot idea, but ultimatley was too slow dragged out and quite boring.

I loved Prison Break but it is a now a chore to watch. Only watching for closure really.

The best show ever cancelled, without question is Arrested Development. Probably the best TV series I have ever seen

Original Poster

matt3454;5018360

Jericho had a good plot idea, but ultimatley was too slow dragged out and … Jericho had a good plot idea, but ultimatley was too slow dragged out and quite boring.I loved Prison Break but it is a now a chore to watch. Only watching for closure really.The best show ever cancelled, without question is Arrested Development. Probably the best TV series I have ever seen

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL the funniest show i've ever seen

Banned

matt3454;5018360

Jericho had a good plot idea, but ultimatley was too slow dragged out and … Jericho had a good plot idea, but ultimatley was too slow dragged out and quite boring.I loved Prison Break but it is a now a chore to watch. Only watching for closure really.The best show ever cancelled, without question is Arrested Development. Probably the best TV series I have ever seen

I only just got round to watching Arrested Development - extremely funny and again, stupid people won't get it.

Freaks and Geeks, cancelled after one season.

Banned

chester123;5018401

Freaks and Geeks, cancelled after one season.

Never seen it but wanted to because James Franco and Seth Rogen are in it. Good call.

FilthAndFurry;5018415

Never seen it but wanted to because James Franco and Seth Rogen are in … Never seen it but wanted to because James Franco and Seth Rogen are in it. Good call.

Don't forget Jason Segel and it was produced by Apatow.

I loved Miss Match ... But I'm a gril lol!!

Pushing daises was good and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Eerie Indiana

Red Dwarf

Bear Grylls

Nightmare

Original Poster

A series that most people might not know of called 'Vanished'. It was great, but something happened near to the end of it that doesn't regularly happen on TV shows or even movies, that made me a bit disinterested in it, but it was great nonetheless.

News Radio
Dave Foley, Maura Tierney, Phil Hartman, Stephen Root, Andy Dick, Joe Rogan & Jon Lovitz with guest stars like John Ritter, Dennis Miller, Janeane Garofalo, Bebe Neuwirth, Lauren Graham, Ben Stiller, French Stewart, Scott Adams, Jon Stewart, Tiffani Amber Thiessen, Patton Oswalt and, in a non-speaking cameo, Ron Jeremy. Celebrities appearing as themselves included Chuck D, Al Roker, Bob Costas, Jerry Seinfeld, James Caan, Adam West, George "Goober" Lindsey and heavy metal band Anthrax. easily one of the best casts ever assembled for a sit-com

The Larry Sanders Show
Starred stand-up comedian Garry Shandling as vain, neurotic talk show host Larry Sanders, and centered on the running of his TV show, and the many people behind the scenes. It is notable for featuring celebrities as themselves (often parodying themselves, by being themselves) and its character-based humor.

The U.S. version of Life On Mars
by the end of the series is was equally as good as the BBC version, Harvey Keitel takes a bit to get to grips with his character but once he does its just a great show.

Undeclared
The half-hour comedy-drama/sitcom was Judd Apatow's follow-up to the TV cult classic Freaks and Geeks, which also lasted for one season. Undeclared centered on a group of college freshmen at the fictional University of North Eastern California. Unlike Freaks, it was set in the current time of the early 2000s rather than the 1980s. It gave a humorous look at the highs and lows of college life, from young adult relationships to the dreaded freshman fifteen. It takes its name from the status of an undergraduate who has not yet decided, or "declared", a specific major of study they wish to take.

Freaks & Geeks
The show centered on a teenage girl, Lindsay Weir (Linda Cardellini), and her brother, Sam (John Francis Daley), both attending McKinley High School during the 1980–1981 school year in the town of Chippewa, Michigan, a fictional suburb of Detroit.
Their friends, respectively, constituted the "freaks" — Daniel Desario (James Franco), Ken Miller (Seth Rogen), Nick Andopolis (Jason Segel), Kim Kelly (Busy Philipps) — and the "geeks" — Neal Schweiber (Samm Levine) and Bill Haverchuck (Martin Starr) — of the title. The Weirs' parents, Harold (Joe Flaherty) and Jean (Becky Ann Baker), were featured in every episode. Millie Kentner (Sarah Hagan), Lindsay's nerdy, highly religious former best friend, was a recurring character, as was Cindy Sanders (Natasha Melnick), the pretty, popular cheerleader on whom Sam had a crush.

My So Called Life
a realistic mid-nineties teen drama series that takes a look at a 15 year-old girl and her trials and tribulations with being a teenager and dealing with friends, guys, parents and school. Claire Danes is hot.

Party Of Five
The show launched the careers of cast members Neve Campbell and Jennifer Love Hewitt, who both starred in their own box office hit slasher films, Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer, respectively, while also appearing on the series. The show also helped launch the career of Lacey Chabert, who later starred in the hit movie Mean Girls and voiced Eliza Thornberry from Nickelodeon's The Wild Thornberrys and Princess Elise from Sega video game Sonic the Hedgehog. In addition, the show was the launching pad for the career of actor Matthew Fox, who would later go on to star in the ABC hit Lost.

Varonica Mars
Rob Thomas originally wrote Veronica Mars as a young adult novel, featuring a male as the protagonist. Episodes have a distinct structure: Veronica solves a different case of the week while continually trying to solve a season-long mystery. The first two seasons of the series had a season-long mystery arc, introduced in the first episode of the season and solved in the season finale. The third season took on a different format, focusing on smaller mystery arcs that would last the course of several episodes.

Boy Meets World
I always had a thing for Topanga

Cupid
Trevor Hale is attractive, witty, uncommonly intelligent - and he may be Cupid, the Greco-Roman god of erotic love. Probably not, but he thinks so. Trevor's insistence that he is Cupid lands him in a mental hospital, where he meets psychologist Claire Allen, a renowned authority on romance. Trevor tells Claire that he has been stripped of his godly powers by Zeus, and exiled from Mount Olympus as a punishment for arrogance. To win his way back among the gods, Trevor must unite 100 couples in everlasting love, without his bow and arrows. Starred Jeremy Piven and was written by Rob Thomas.

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr
a short-lived western television series with science fiction elements set in the 1890s, starring Bruce Campbell as Brisco County, Jr. It could be considered a thematic descendant of the 1960s show The Wild Wild West, since it combined elements of the science fiction and Western, and Steampunk genres. It was one of the few western shows aired in the 1990s

Jack of All Trades
Also starring Bruce Campbell. The program is set at the turn of the 19th Century on the fictional French-controlled island of Palau-Palau. Jack Stiles is an American secret agent sent there by President Jefferson. While there, he meets his British contact and love interest, English spy Emilia Rothschild. Together, the two work to stop Napoleon and various other threats to the United States. To the public, Jack is seen as Emilia's servant (she sometimes serves as his), but when the need arises, he transforms into a masked hero: the Daring Dragoon.

Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe / Newswipe
Burried in the schedules (weds 10:30 BBC3) but one of the funniest programs on British telly

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
The series' premise is that some time in the 1980s, best-selling horror author Garth Marenghi and his publisher/publicist, Dean Learner, made their own low-budget television series with a single intent: "to change the evolutionary course of Man over a series of half-hour episodes."[5][6] Set in Darkplace Hospital, "over the very gates of Hell," in Romford, East London,[3] Garth Marenghi's Darkplace shows the adventures of Dr. Rick Dagless, M.D., as he fights the forces of darkness while simultaneously coping with the pressures of day to day admin.

Time Trumpet
Time Trumpet is the satirical series that looked back on events of the first 30 years of the 21st century from the perspective of a nostalgia show in the year 2031. Actors and actresses played the parts of 'today's stars' thirty years on, as they looked back into the past (our near future), in Armando Iannucci's usual surreal yet sensible style. (will be released on DVD 27/04/09)

Gunslinger Girls
Set in modern-day Italy, Gunslinger Girl follows the exploits of the Social Welfare Agency (often referred to as simply "the Agency"), ostensibly a charitable institution sponsored by the Italian government. While the Agency professes to aid the rehabilitation of the physically injured, it is actually a military organization specializing in counter-intelligence and counter-terrorism. It comprises two independent branches, Public Safety (公安部 ,kōan-bu?) and Special Ops (作戦部 ,sakusen-bu?), with Public Safety being its surveillance and intelligence-gathering arm and Special Ops its anti-terrorist division.[1] Special Ops is itself divided into Sections 1 and 2,[2] the latter of which employs young girls fitted with cybernetic implants as agents. The implants, which consist of synthesized muscles and carbon fiber frames, result in heightened strength and reflexes as well as high resilience to damage and pain. Each girl is paired with a male trainer, or "handler", and together they are referred to as a fratello (Italian for "brother"). The handler is responsible for the training, welfare and field performance of his charge, and is free to use whatever methods he considers suitable. While these methods vary according to the handler, a common part of each girl's regimen is brainwashing called "conditioning", which produces a deadly assassin with unquestioning loyalty to her handler.

The Tripods, Angel & The Mary Whitehouse Experience.

chuck and reaper are quite good imo

flight of the conchords is AWESOME

Babylon 5 and The Tudors,,,Best ever shows IMHO,,,Dont care if I miss TV at the moment, but never missed B5 or the Tudors,,,

Greenwing was just brilliant!!! Bring it back or repeat it.......

The big bang theory is very funny, especially if your a nerd like me! Carnivàle was excellent too and should have been allowed to run its course.

Don't think 'underrated' is the right term, but certainly deserve a lot of credit. Peep Show, Family Guy and Curb Your Enthusiasm are all brilliant comedies that everyone should watch!

Grey's Anatomy is the most watched TV show in America and it's fantastic! But so underrated here.

The show i miss the most is REGENESIS it was a canadian series brilliant

FilthAndFurry;5018358

Different beasts, but 30 Rock is underrated too. Basically, anything … Different beasts, but 30 Rock is underrated too. Basically, anything vaguely intelligent is underrated by the majority of the tv audience because they're thick.Stupid people watch rubbish tv.

I'd lick to thick I'm fairly intelligent (certainly not "stupid") and I like what you seem to think is rubbish tv (My Family, etc.)

Never watched 30 Rock but personally think that South Park is nowhere near as funny/clever/good as it thinks it is, as for alot of other so-called "intelligent" programs, I think they're pretty boring.

American Dad

civms47;5019465

I'd lick to thick I'm fairly intelligent (certainly not "stupid")

Hope you did that on purpose :whistling:

civms47;5019465

I'd lick to thick I'm fairly intelligent.

I want that on a T-Shirt

Merlin

i was just getting into journey man when they cancelled that!

last of the summer wine, cash in the attic, songs of praise

firefly, arrested development being 2 shows that have already been cancelled and the sarah connor chronicles which is fighting for its life right now. It's one of the most intelligent sci fi dramas in years but again stupid people would rather see fat people juggle spoons or some has been soap actor go through a "journey" by ice skaing or dancing every week.
I despair at the majority of people that watch tv.

Original Poster

dee.s.g;5019629

i was just getting into journey man when they cancelled that!

Yeah that was great

Banned

civms47;5019465

I'd lick to thick I'm fairly intelligent (certainly not "stupid") and I … I'd lick to thick I'm fairly intelligent (certainly not "stupid") and I like what you seem to think is rubbish tv (My Family, etc.)Never watched 30 Rock but personally think that South Park is nowhere near as funny/clever/good as it thinks it is, as for alot of other so-called "intelligent" programs, I think they're pretty boring.

My Family is made for the lowest common denominator's thick inbred son.

South Park is one of the smartest shows on tv, though can overindulge in the moralising at the end sometimes.

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;5022759

My Family is made for the lowest common denominator's thick inbred son.

Or maybe it's made for people who aren't miserable and like to laugh?

Banned

Bhav007;5022815

Or maybe it's made for people who aren't miserable and like to laugh?

That's what comedy is for.;-)

My point is that My Family, on the occassion that I have this misfortune of seeing it, is not funny. It's like Two Pints of Lager... but made for thick parents.

Damages!

It's amazing and I only know 3 people that watch it.

thomasc123;5021046

last of the summer wine, cash in the attic, songs of praise

+1 :giggle:

Trailer Park Boys, Screenwipe, The Wire.

Pushing Daisies.

Prison Break since Season 1 is retarded. The storyline is stupid and so is everything about it. I've stopped watching it because how stupid it got.
Post a comment
@
    Text