Expired

MOT

Found 16th Apr
Before an MOT is it a good idea to clean the interior?
Community Updates
AskMOT
16 Comments
Silly question, expect silly answer coming through below
I usually give my car a quick clean a few days before it's due. For me it's like when you have visitors and you quickly run around with the hoover and the polish i like to know it's tidy before someone else takes a look at it.
Not required... But I suppose it depends how dirty it is.... Someone has to get in the car to perform te checks!
steve.t3 m ago

Silly question, expect silly answer coming through below

Really? Silly answer
tmohammad10 m ago

Not required... But I suppose it depends how dirty it is.... Someone has …Not required... But I suppose it depends how dirty it is.... Someone has to get in the car to perform te checks!

Trying to get out of giving it a hoover but over half adamant! He can not do it due to poor health
It's more important to check tyres, bulbs, wipers etc are in good condition. I have never heard of a car failing due to a Starbucks cup in the footwell.
My van is revolting inside, they chuck a plastic seat cover on, not to protect the seat but to protect themselves. I have never seen anyone’s look as vile as mine and never had an issue. 8 years old never cleaned, it’s just a way to get from A to B.
I usually take mine to a carwash beforehand, it's not pleasant for a mechanic to have to check under a car that's caked in mud. But I wouldn't bother with the interior unless it's particularly grubby.
Not required. I like the way mine leaves the plastic seat cover and brown paper floor mats in so I have to dispose of them!
Yes, we all say it does not matter but we all judge
33646065-tD17r.jpg
And if they need to give you the benefit of the doubt, how do you think they will make that judgement
Appendix 3, Part 1 section b

Grounds for refusal to carry out a test

The vehicle or any part or equipment on the vehicle is so dirty that examination is
unreasonably difficult.

Lots of vehicles fail due to cleanliness.
Some statistics
whatcar.com/new…ot/
jaketheplumber4 h, 2 m ago

I usually take mine to a carwash beforehand, it's not pleasant for a …I usually take mine to a carwash beforehand, it's not pleasant for a mechanic to have to check under a car that's caked in mud. But I wouldn't bother with the interior unless it's particularly grubby.

Does a car wash clean the underneath
moneybag4 h, 0 m ago

Appendix 3, Part 1 section bGrounds for refusal to carry out a testThe …Appendix 3, Part 1 section bGrounds for refusal to carry out a testThe vehicle or any part or equipment on the vehicle is so dirty that examination is unreasonably difficult.Lots of vehicles fail due to cleanliness.Some statisticshttps://www.whatcar.com/news/five-daft-reasons-why-cars-fail-mot/

I’d imagine it would have to be pretty bad inside before they refuse to test it
snoopy181 h, 13 m ago

Does a car wash clean the underneath

I use a hand carwash not a drive through. They generally jet wash all around the wheel arches.
moneybag4 h, 57 m ago

statisticshttps://www.whatcar.com/news/five-daft-reasons-why-cars-fail-mot/

I've just read of that report moneybag, thank you. This bit amazed me, 114 people sent in their car for an MOT without it having a number-plate.

'However, most know there are rules about having a standardised registration plate and yet we found 29 people whose car failed because their numberplate was the wrong colour, and 114 who presented their car without a numberplate at all.'
sean856614 h, 28 m ago

I've just read of that report moneybag, thank you. This bit amazed me, 114 …I've just read of that report moneybag, thank you. This bit amazed me, 114 people sent in their car for an MOT without it having a number-plate.'However, most know there are rules about having a standardised registration plate and yet we found 29 people whose car failed because their numberplate was the wrong colour, and 114 who presented their car without a numberplate at all.'

It's not always has illogical as you might think.

They might be having them MOT to see what it needs to get through before deciding to make it roadworthy etc.. No point spening £15 on a new number plate if it's going to need £1k+ of work doing to it etc..

Usually free retests too, So no point having preMOT nonsense, Might as well just have MOT'd, See what it fails on and decide from there.

Also op, MOT testers are human, If your car is clean then it gives the impression that it's looked after so might use a little discretion etc. A dirty unmaintained car often says alot about a person too ;).
Edited by: ".MUFC." 17th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants