MOT

Posted 22nd Mar
What happens if they stop you going to a garage and getting your MOT renewed because garage are shut? Mine is due in June and just thinking ahead.....
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
I read somewhere, but can't find it now, that you can still tax and insure if there are no mot stations near you. Mine is due in June too, but hopefully my local station will still be open.

Looking at all the advice now online, it looks like the Government might change the rules if things get worse. I might put mine in early if it seems like there is going to be a problem, but I'll lose a couple of months on the current mot
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 22nd Mar
Go have it done now. Yes you will loose a few months but at least its done
My 17 year old lads bike is due its first MOT 12th April, Ive told him to get it done this week, its not a toy or a bit of fun for him - he needs it to get to work.

TBH I wouldnt want to be working on anyones car interior - if you think about it drivers and passengers will be coughing/sneezing and the entire interior could be a bio hazard.
We've not had anything through as yet, we may get a notice at some point, but they have suspended HGV & trailer mot tests for 3 months.

But interestly I was reading an article & it said "In Italy, where the virus is more advanced, garages have been able to stay open to provide this essential service."
Edited by: "richp" 22nd Mar
harlzter22/03/2020 18:20

My 17 year old lads bike is due its first MOT 12th April, Ive told him to …My 17 year old lads bike is due its first MOT 12th April, Ive told him to get it done this week, its not a toy or a bit of fun for him - he needs it to get to work.TBH I wouldnt want to be working on anyones car interior - if you think about it drivers and passengers will be coughing/sneezing and the entire interior could be a bio hazard.

You wouldn't believe the crap people leave in their cars, dirty sods. I hate trying to find the locking wheel nut key in some 🤢
Got mine tomorrow!
You can get your MOT done a month early. If you drive your vehicle with no MOT you can also get done for having no insurance since your insurance would be void if no MOT.
Based on recent events, I’m sure they’ll understand so they can’t fault you. I’m sure it’s going to be thousands of expired mots, not just a couple.
richp22/03/2020 20:00

You wouldn't believe the crap people leave in their cars, dirty sods. I …You wouldn't believe the crap people leave in their cars, dirty sods. I hate trying to find the locking wheel nut key in some 🤢

I would, I have seen some sights, you ever look at reddit on justrolledintotheshop? Not only do you get to see motors that should be classed as biohazrds and just set on fire you get to see some amazing kludges and beyond belief vehicle neglect.
harlzter22/03/2020 21:57

I would, I have seen some sights, you ever look at reddit on …I would, I have seen some sights, you ever look at reddit on justrolledintotheshop? Not only do you get to see motors that should be classed as biohazrds and just set on fire you get to see some amazing kludges and beyond belief vehicle neglect.

Lol, Yeah I have, there's some real abominations on there & what amazes me is when they show brakes, how on earth are people still driving cars with bugger all brake pads & worn out disc's
SerpentSuicide22/03/2020 20:18

You can get your MOT done a month early. If you drive your vehicle with no …You can get your MOT done a month early. If you drive your vehicle with no MOT you can also get done for having no insurance since your insurance would be void if no MOT.

Which is a bit stupid when people like me have cars that are 40+ years old and are MOT exempt. A MOT only shows it was roadworthy and safe at the time of testing. You could hit a pothole 100yards down the road and severely mess up a suspension or steering component to the point its not safe any longer yet its still MOT's for another 364 days.

I also know someone who waited until their neighbour was at work and "borrowed" a couple of wheels from their car whilst it went for an MOT as their own was bald, MOT passed and wheels swapped back without the neighbour even knowing.
richp22/03/2020 22:01

Lol, Yeah I have, there's some real abominations on there & what amazes me …Lol, Yeah I have, there's some real abominations on there & what amazes me is when they show brakes, how on earth are people still driving cars with bugger all brake pads & worn out disc's

What amazes me is tyres completely down to the cord but still holding air. But yeah I've seen thicker sheets of paper than some of the brake discs, it makes me glad we have pretty stringent MOT standards over here (and honest testers like yourself). I've seen cars for sale on ebay and facebook too where they are just full of crap, FFS just take half an hour and clean the bloody thing up before taking photos.

You must have some horror stories to tell, whats the worst you have seen? Either structural fail or just most disgusting?
I've had my fair share over the years. Had a few where people use their cars as mobile dog kennels & the cars are crawling with fleas had a cat jump out of the engine bay once, scared the crap out of me.
I've done the brake test & a brake pipe hidden by an undertray/trim decided to burst & then the customer moaning I broke their car they were lucky it went in the workshop & not on the road!
Been accused of swapping their drivers seat for another one, like wtf, that was a bizarre one. But generally most arnt a problem.
It's the simple things that they should check beforehand, tyres, lights & screen wash that frustrates me.

Have a look at Matters of Testingthe horror stories section, some right howlers on there.
Just found this on GOV website
samosa23/03/2020 22:51

Just found this on GOV website

Still no update on MOT, they really should have suspended it by now. I’ve booked my MOT now for early June so hopefully we are out the back of this by then!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants