MOT Advisory - Child seat fitted to offside rear

Found 31st Oct 2015
Looking at the MOT history of my car and noticed this:

- Child seat fitted to offside rear

Is it wrong to fit child seat at offside rear position?

19 Comments

Means they couldn't check the seat belt on that side

Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 31st Oct 2015

^^^ Yep,, they're not allowed to touch a seatbelt that has a child seat fitted so mark it up as not checked

seems a bit stupid surely? the seats often held in by the belt isnt it?

brilly

seems a bit stupid surely? the seats often held in by the belt isnt it?

Same as the covers they fit to the underside of cars for streamlining. They aren't allowed to remove the cover even though a large amount of mechanical stuff that they're supposed to check is hidden away underneath so they just mark it as an advisory.

Its nothing wrong at all. If a garage removed a child seat and failed to properly install it and there was an accident, opens up a huge can of worms. That's why they don't touch it.

Obviously if a child seat in in place you can safely presume the seat belt is perfectly fine and functioning

stuarthanley

Same as the covers they fit to the underside of cars for streamlining. … Same as the covers they fit to the underside of cars for streamlining. They aren't allowed to remove the cover even though a large amount of mechanical stuff that they're supposed to check is hidden away underneath so they just mark it as an advisory.

normally comes up as "undertray fitted"

thecoolguy

normally comes up as "undertray fitted"

I couldn't remember the terminology, cheers

So if you have a dodgy seat belt just by a 2nd hand car seat, thanks for the heads up.

liamf12

So if you have a dodgy seat belt just by a 2nd hand car seat, thanks for … So if you have a dodgy seat belt just by a 2nd hand car seat, thanks for the heads up.

Yep, but they won't accept it in the drivers seat ;-)

charleaward81

Its nothing wrong at all. If a garage removed a child seat and failed to … Its nothing wrong at all. If a garage removed a child seat and failed to properly install it and there was an accident, opens up a huge can of worms. That's why they don't touch it. Obviously if a child seat in in place you can safely presume the seat belt is perfectly fine and functioning

Exactly
Mot station unable to check because of child seat fitted
In my opinion they should remove car seat to check the seatbelt and put car seat in the boot of fail it as car seat is fitted
The amount of older cars with frayed rear belts is unbelievable

Edited by: "Bradleigh" 31st Oct 2015

Bradleigh

ExactlyMot station unable to check because of child seat fittedIn my … ExactlyMot station unable to check because of child seat fittedIn my opinion they should remove car seat to check the seatbelt and put car seat in the boot of fail it as car seat is fittedThe amount of older cars with frayed rear belts is unbelievable

Then wed have people moaning that we broke the seat.

123batman321

I understand but then it should be failed as it can't be tested
I'd want to know my child was safe with the belt holding a car seat
Most car seats I've seen are fitted badly anyway

123batman321

No need. Just ask the customer to remove it.

artnada

An mot is a general safety check and not a gaurantee that a vehicle is roadworthy. Nothing is allowed to be removed including road wheels

So in short if you cannot see something for example brake pads due to a wheel trim it has to be considered as ok

It sounds ok in theory to ask customers to remove the seat but some people leave cars overnight etc and would complain and it would be time consuming so its not practical on a day to day basis

artnada

Also the proper term is (child seat fitted not allowing FULL) inspection of adult belt. We still check it and it would still be failed if part of the belt that can be seen isnt meeting requirements its just not unplugged or removed etc

surely the answer for them to state that the seat to be removed before MOTing.

tri_94

surely the answer for them to state that the seat to be removed before … surely the answer for them to state that the seat to be removed before MOTing.

No as some people turn up with 3 kids in tow. You cant reasonably ask them to remove then re fit 3 seats

I used to remove the seat to check the seat belt and then turn it upside down to show that it wasn't fitted. We started not being able to do this because people moaned about damage etc.

Whatever you do you're going to upset someone.

HondaLad

I used to remove the seat to check the seat belt and then turn it upside … I used to remove the seat to check the seat belt and then turn it upside down to show that it wasn't fitted. We started not being able to do this because people moaned about damage etc.Whatever you do you're going to upset someone.

Better we dnt hve to check them less work and less unhappy customers. The customer should really notice wen fitting the seat if the belt is defective
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions