Groups

MOT: Do they check all the seatbelts - even on removed chairs?

I can't get hold of the garage and my car is booked in for MOTing at lunchtime. I have a seven seater, but two of the seats are never used, and therefore are shrouded in dust in the garage. The tester will not be able to plug the belts for these seats into anything. Do I need to put the seats back in the car in order for it to pass? They are SO heavy, and I just can't do it. Anyone had a similar situation?

37 Comments

Yes as the test is done on the seatbelts, and if you car has them standard then it should show up on the computer.

call and ask?

Original Poster

Adam2050

Yes as the test is done on the seatbelts, and if you car has them … Yes as the test is done on the seatbelts, and if you car has them standard then it should show up on the computer.

Argh. I simply can't get the chairs out of the garage. I suppose I could get it tested today, have it fail on belts, then take it tomorrow for a free retest once Mr Froot has been home and put the chairs back. How irritating. I completely forgot about this yesterday.

Original Poster

plumberman01

call and ask?

I've tried ringing, they're not answering. They are very busy and only usually answer the phone at lunchtime - which is when I've got to be there!

Original Poster

Adam2050

Yes as the test is done on the seatbelts, and if you car has them … Yes as the test is done on the seatbelts, and if you car has them standard then it should show up on the computer.

The belts are there (roof mounted) but no plugs for them as these are part of the chairs.

FrootCake

The belts are there (roof mounted) but no plugs for them as these are … The belts are there (roof mounted) but no plugs for them as these are part of the chairs.

Well they do test if they clip in and stay put when tugged, so yeh would need to be there surely?

Original Poster

Well, I'll just have to wing it. There's no way I can get them in. Thanks anyway x

Banned

I think they will just put on the advisory notes that they were unable to test as the seats were not fitted.

My wife took her car in yesterday, and left a child seat fitted in the back....when she picked the car up it was on the advisory motes that they hadn't checked the seat belt attached to the child seat....but she still passed.

slamdunkin

I think they will just put on the advisory notes that they were unable to … I think they will just put on the advisory notes that they were unable to test as the seats were not fitted.My wife took her car in yesterday, and left a child seat fitted in the back....when she picked the car up it was on the advisory motes that they hadn't checked the seat belt attached to the child seat....but she still passed.

There you go. Just do that.

Original Poster

slamdunkin

I think they will just put on the advisory notes that they were unable to … I think they will just put on the advisory notes that they were unable to test as the seats were not fitted.My wife took her car in yesterday, and left a child seat fitted in the back....when she picked the car up it was on the advisory motes that they hadn't checked the seat belt attached to the child seat....but she still passed.

That suprises me - that they didn't check the belt attached to the child seat - though I suppose they wouldn't want to be held accountable for unplugging it and maybe not getting it back right again. I'm intending to leave three child seats in the car... so I guess they'll only test the front ones! Finger's crossed I won't have to go back tomorrow... but I would rather they check all the belts regardless of child seats being there - they are the most important belts!!!!

Banned

Take the child seat out then....as the garage are not allowed to take them out to test the belts.

hope the seat belts are fully working then.

make sure there is no retest fee before assuming you can take it back tomorrow.

I am suprised they did not check the seat in one of the above replies and think your chances of them not checking 5 of the 7 are slim. If they should be checked how can you get away with an advisory?

My car is an eight seater and I forgot to fit the eighth seat before MOT a few weeks ago, and there were two child seats fitted as usual. MOT just stated that the child seats were fitted so belts were not checked. Made no mention of missing seat. Each year the MOT states the bit about seat belts not being checked due to child seats and is not an issue.

No seat, no seat belt required.

Find it amazing that belts are not checked and the vehicle is still being passed.

I wonder where the insurance stands on this if there is an accident which involves the operation of the seat belts.

Original Poster

greg_68

Find it amazing that belts are not checked and the vehicle is still being … Find it amazing that belts are not checked and the vehicle is still being passed.I wonder where the insurance stands on this if there is an accident which involves the operation of the seat belts.

Me too. I'm going to ask him to check the kids belts, but I can't carry all three seats home with me, so they will have to stay in the car.

My car failed its MOT because the seatbelt could not be checked. The front passenger seat was out of the car and unfortunately the seat belt clips into a bit that was attached to the front seat. MOT guy was apologetic but said that was the rule.

FrootCake

Me too. I'm going to ask him to check the kids belts, but I can't carry … Me too. I'm going to ask him to check the kids belts, but I can't carry all three seats home with me, so they will have to stay in the car.

You can release the seats from the seat belt fixings so they can check the belts work, I suppose you could leave them in the car / boot loose and let them know.
    Edited by: "greg_68" 18th Jan 2011

Inactive

No seat, no seat belt required.

This is correct. I am an MOT tester

danzab

This is correct. I am an MOT tester

Take all the seat's out

When I've took my ford Galaxy before I've had the rear two seats out and car seats in middle row, They checked front seat's and didn't bother checking any of the rear, They just state in box "Seatbelts tested" = No.

Although if tested they've got to work or it will fail.

THey also cannot remove items in your boot to get at your bald/missing spare wheel.

thesaint

THey also cannot remove items in your boot to get at your bald/missing … THey also cannot remove items in your boot to get at your bald/missing spare wheel.

why would we want to, the spare wheel isn't a testable item.

thesaint

THey also cannot remove items in your boot to get at your bald/missing … THey also cannot remove items in your boot to get at your bald/missing spare wheel.

Just take your spare wheel out, Most don't even inspect them anyway.

richp

why would we want to, the spare wheel isn't a testable item.

Yes it is, If they test it and it's illegal it will fail, Most don't check them but can do.

shauneco

Yes it is, If they test it and it's illegal it will fail, Most don't … Yes it is, If they test it and it's illegal it will fail, Most don't check them but can do.

The spare wheel is not part of the test unless it is an externally stored one in which case it has to be securely stored.

shauneco

Yes it is, If they test it and it's illegal it will fail, Most don't … Yes it is, If they test it and it's illegal it will fail, Most don't check them but can do.

no it wont, where did you read that ?

greg_68

The spare wheel is not part of the test unless it is an externally stored … The spare wheel is not part of the test unless it is an externally stored one in which case it has to be securely stored.

/\ This

It's a common misconseption that the Spare Wheel has to be roadworthy for MOT purposes. Spares are optional, so aren't include in tests.
    Edited by: "midlandscomics" 18th Jan 2011

Banned

spare wheel with a tyre fitted does not have to be legal for the road as long as the wheel is not fitted to the axle hub and on a public road.

A car with a spare wheel in the boot with a defective tyre fitted to it will not be subject to an MOT failure as it is not part of the test.

here you go, if any budding weekend MOT testers out there want to know what's tested, then you can have a look at our manual on line The MOT Inspection Manual

You'd think that it would be mandatory to have a legal spare with your car if one was factory fitted wouldn't you? (although I know a lot of LPG conversions use the spare wheel space)

Whoops I am wrong in regards to spare wheel, Silly me should keep in touch with the real world lol, I was told by someone years a go to remove mine for that reason, I'll not take advice off him again, If only I can remember who it was lol.

greg_68

You'd think that it would be mandatory to have a legal spare with your … You'd think that it would be mandatory to have a legal spare with your car if one was factory fitted wouldn't you? (although I know a lot of LPG conversions use the spare wheel space)

you would have thought so, a few vehicles these days don't have a spare wheel at all & only supplied with either a can of compressed air to inflate it or a 12v compressor. There are changes happening at the mo as regards the mot test, new testable items etc. We've got our yearly MOT seminar next week, so I'm sure we will find out then.

Original Poster

greg_68

You'd think that it would be mandatory to have a legal spare with your … You'd think that it would be mandatory to have a legal spare with your car if one was factory fitted wouldn't you? (although I know a lot of LPG conversions use the spare wheel space)

TBH I thought it was - otherwise I'd remove mine to reduce weight! Just got back from the garage. I had to undo all the kids seats and he said he'd check the belts. He said exactly what some others have said on here, no seat, no seat belt test, but that there was a box to tick on the MOT certificate, not so much an advisory, just a box where it says they've been tested Yes or No. He was a very nice man though, and seeing that I would be needing the two extra seats shortly he said I could pop it back to him at any time and he'll have a good check over them.

shauneco

Take all the seat's out ;)When I've took my ford Galaxy before I've had … Take all the seat's out ;)When I've took my ford Galaxy before I've had the rear two seats out and car seats in middle row, They checked front seat's and didn't bother checking any of the rear, They just state in box "Seatbelts tested" = No.Although if tested they've got to work or it will fail.

FrootCake

TBH I thought it was - otherwise I'd remove mine to reduce weight! Just … TBH I thought it was - otherwise I'd remove mine to reduce weight! Just got back from the garage. I had to undo all the kids seats and he said he'd check the belts. He said exactly what some others have said on here, no seat, no seat belt test, but that there was a box to tick on the MOT certificate, not so much an advisory, just a box where it says they've been tested Yes or No. He was a very nice man though, and seeing that I would be needing the two extra seats shortly he said I could pop it back to him at any time and he'll have a good check over them.

I was right about something lol.

Did it pass?
    Edited by: "shauneco" 18th Jan 2011

Original Poster

shauneco - I don't know yet. I just leave it there at lunch and they get it back to me by tea time. I know it needs a couple of tyres, but I'm hoping that's all!

FrootCake

shauneco - I don't know yet. I just leave it there at lunch and they get … shauneco - I don't know yet. I just leave it there at lunch and they get it back to me by tea time. I know it needs a couple of tyres, but I'm hoping that's all!

Ok, Good luck.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?1834
      2. The State on Ch434
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764400
      4. RIP DOCTOR WHO712

See more discussions