MOT failure advice

Found 28th Mar
Looking for some advice on car maintenance. My car's MOT has failed with below reasons. It's a Ford fusion diesel 2010. My local garage wants £185 to fix it. Being an absolute beginner with cars I'm wondering if someone could comment if this is reasonable price or I should look out for other options.

2917485-u2l30.jpg
Thank you in advance..!
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Mot
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Mot
Top comments
gbabu11 h, 59 m ago

No. Haven't got time to check with other garages. This is a local garage …No. Haven't got time to check with other garages. This is a local garage based in West Lothian Scotland.

But you've got time to post on here... It takes a quick phone call.
40 Comments
Have you had any quotes from other garages? Seems very excessive to me, where is the garage based?
Have you priced the parts? They shouldn't be too expensive.
About a hours labour plus parts
Is it a free retest ?
If yes I'd shop around
Should be around the £100+ mark for gaitor and link to be done as on the same side
Might be worth you getting the parts from Eurocarparts on a Friday as they do discount codes that run all weekend
Pop your reg in and price the parts and see if you can get a mobile mechanic to do it or local garage
Also depends if it needs tracking which is usually £25-£30
Edited by: "Bradleigh" 28th Mar
These are very specific faults which any garage can give you a price to repair. Phone around. Repeat your post in an email to letters@honestjohn.co.uk and you will get some input from a trade savvy journalist and his team quite quickly (perhaps even in hours). I have used him for years and seldom had cause to disagree.

I am no expert but a 2010 Ford with 60k on the clock is likely to need some work for MoT. I have to presume the garage hasn't scammed you by making these items 'fails' surprises me..
Original Poster
bp241111 m ago

Have you had any quotes from other garages? Seems very excessive to me, …Have you had any quotes from other garages? Seems very excessive to me, where is the garage based?

No. Haven't got time to check with other garages. This is a local garage based in West Lothian Scotland.
Original Poster
Bradleigh5 m ago

About a hours labour plus partsIs it a free retest ?If yes I'd shop …About a hours labour plus partsIs it a free retest ?If yes I'd shop aroundShould be around the £100+ mark depending on car for gaitor and link , what car is itMight be worth you getting the parts from Eurocarparts on a Friday as they do discount codes that run all weekendPop your reg in and price the parts and see if you can get a mobile mechanic to do it or local garage

Thanks. It's a ford Fusion 2010 diesel. It includes re-mot
Edited by: "gbabu" 28th Mar
Original Poster
ccnp5 m ago

These are very specific faults which any garage can give you a price to …These are very specific faults which any garage can give you a price to repair. Phone around. Repeat your post in an email to letters@honestjohn.co.uk and you will get some input from a trade savvy journalist and his team quite quickly (perhaps even in hours). I have used him for years and seldom had cause to disagree.I am no expert but a 2010 Ford with 60k on the clock is likely to need some work for MoT. I have to presume the garage hasn't scammed you by making these items 'fails' surprises me..

Many thanks. I'll try that as well.
gbabu3 m ago

Thanks. It's a ford Fusion 2010 diesel. It includes re-mot

Sorry missed that and edited my posts together ,pop your reg in ecp website and get a price for parts , A lot of the time when steering rack gaitors etc are done car needs tracking
Did they give you a list of work they would do for quoted price ?
Edited by: "Bradleigh" 28th Mar
Original Poster
Bradleigh4 m ago

Sorry missed that and edited my posts together ,pop your reg in ecp …Sorry missed that and edited my posts together ,pop your reg in ecp website and get a price for parts , A lot of the time when steering rack gaitors etc are done car needs trackingDid they give you a list of work they would do for quoted price ?

Thank you. I will check in eurocarparts. They did not give me a detailed quote. They just said the overall price to fix the issue and re-mot.
You usually avoid getting it repaired at place which mot it at all costs.

Idiots quoted me £80 to change a £1 rubber Bush. I just changed whole wishbone at different garage for £34. They also said my top mounts were worn when they are the vw type floating ones. Numbskulls. And quoted about £100 a side when nothing is wrong with them.
Try carparts4less. Same company as eurocarparts but 90% of the time cheaper. Even in a sale.
If its the link rod they are on about they are usually under £20 for any car. Trade price is £4 - £8. Undo 2 bolts. Turn steering and remove, replace. Job done. 10mins.

Gaitors a few quid. But labour is a bit more dependent on how hard it is to get to. No more than an hours labour. £180 sounds well over the top to me. £100 would be cheeky. It shouldn't need tracking done.
£60-£80sounds more like it. But it depends on I'd you have time to phone around etc.
Bradleigh1 h, 50 m ago

About a hours labour plus partsIs it a free retest ?If yes I'd shop …About a hours labour plus partsIs it a free retest ?If yes I'd shop aroundShould be around the £100+ mark for gaitor and link to be done as on the same sideMight be worth you getting the parts from Eurocarparts on a Friday as they do discount codes that run all weekendPop your reg in and price the parts and see if you can get a mobile mechanic to do it or local garageAlso depends if it needs tracking which is usually £25-£30

Yeah, I'd agree with you there Bradleigh.
MonkeysUncle20 m ago

If its the link rod they are on about they are usually under £20 for any …If its the link rod they are on about they are usually under £20 for any car. Trade price is £4 - £8. Undo 2 bolts. Turn steering and remove, replace. Job done. 10mins.Gaitors a few quid. But labour is a bit more dependent on how hard it is to get to. No more than an hours labour. £180 sounds well over the top to me. £100 would be cheeky. It shouldn't need tracking done. £60-£80sounds more like it. But it depends on I'd you have time to phone around etc.

Yeah on a good day maybe, try changing an anti-roll bar link when the nut won't move but the ball joint does, then your "10 min" replacement becomes a headache, it may then involve oxy or an induction heater, some have flats on them so that you can use a spanner to hold it or an allen key/star drive socket.
Yes you can count the turns to remove the track rod end to put back on afterwards, but best practise is to have a tracking check afterwards.
Edited by: "richp" 28th Mar
Angle grind it off.
MonkeysUncle4 m ago

Angle grind it off.

Yep & that's if you can get one in there.
If the garage are replacing two anti roll bar links these are £15-25 each, the gaitor is about £15 - 20 each but they may have quoted replacing 2 and with two hours labour @ £50 per hour that could be about right.

Other option would be to do it yourself but bear in mind this is risky if you don’t have the tools/space and experience to do this as this is a critical part of the steering/suspension. The antirollbar links are usually just two bolts, these easily be siezed especially on the kerb side due to getting splashed with water, I replaced mine on a Fiesta at around 110k, car was scrapped at 160k due to excellent scrappage deal from ford! The gaitor will envolve removing the tie rod ends which to be honest would probably be worth replacing whilst they are removed (£20-35 each) to fit the gaitor and then you would need a tracking adjust. If your careful and put tape to the edge of the thread and tighten carefully you won’t need the tracking adjust (but still get it checked, my garage offered free check and if it didn’t need adjust no charge), mine was ok.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 29th Mar
Usual nonsense on here about everything being easy to repair. A garage has high running costs ramps staff rates mandatory calibrations etc. Price seems pretty good to me. Is it including the original test or is that extra?
gbabu11 h, 59 m ago

No. Haven't got time to check with other garages. This is a local garage …No. Haven't got time to check with other garages. This is a local garage based in West Lothian Scotland.

If you take it somewhere else to repaired or if you repair it yourself it will need another MOT?

Just pay what I think is a reasonable cost and have done with it
Winging about £185 for parts and an hours labour, luckily its not a plumber you need.

I've recently been quoted £3.5k for a new combi boiler that can be boughtof the shelf for £900 and the company said it would only take 1 day to fit.
Edited by: "paulj48" 29th Mar
£180 seems ok to me if they're going to retest it for you and get it through the mot. They need to make a living. I wouldn't be driving around, phoning people, explaining the issue over and over all to save a small amount. Plus if they motd it they now know the car.
123batman32117 h, 45 m ago

Usual nonsense on here about everything being easy to repair. A garage has …Usual nonsense on here about everything being easy to repair. A garage has high running costs ramps staff rates mandatory calibrations etc. Price seems pretty good to me. Is it including the original test or is that extra?

This attidue encourages people to get ripped off, more hard we are the less likely it is to happen, I'm have a good relationship with my mechanic and I can trust him, most times I just pay mot price.

Yes it is expensive for mechanic to have a business but is also expensive for the car owner to live his live if every service is trying to get them rich of everyone
Original Poster
Thank you All..!
Original Poster
Bigfootpete29th Mar

Ok. I posted this on the same day as I collected the car back. I should have mentioned it as 'did not have time' instead of 'have not got time to'. English is not my first language.
Original Poster
Thank you all for your time. I was not moaning about the price but just wanted to get others opinion as this is is my first ever MOT and not sure about the prices.
whelan18923 h, 30 m ago

This attidue encourages people to get ripped off, more hard we are the …This attidue encourages people to get ripped off, more hard we are the less likely it is to happen, I'm have a good relationship with my mechanic and I can trust him, most times I just pay mot price.Yes it is expensive for mechanic to have a business but is also expensive for the car owner to live his live if every service is trying to get them rich of everyone

I guess that made sense in your head
123batman3216 h, 19 m ago

I guess that made sense in your head

Lol, it made no sense to me either. I guess English isn't his first language either
123batman32129th Mar

Usual nonsense on here about everything being easy to repair. A garage has …Usual nonsense on here about everything being easy to repair. A garage has high running costs ramps staff rates mandatory calibrations etc. Price seems pretty good to me. Is it including the original test or is that extra?

Not really, If you can change a lightbulb you can probably change a drop link and a gator, They're very easy jobs. £185 is excessive for a 5 min job. Yes Track rods can be stubborn, Drop links can be stubborn but with some basic tools doable for a novice. I understand that you've got your own garage and they do have running costs etc but if them jobs took you longer than 20 minutes then theirs something wrong. The oil leak will need sorting at some point too though, Oil leak will result in a fail when the new regs come in. That probably is a job for the garage ;). Unless oil leak is included in repair costs? Then we t might be a fair price!.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 31st Mar
So your getting a drop link off fitting a new one removing the track rod end from the hub securing the new gaiter fefitting the track rod end. Freeing off the track rods on both sides to track it properly then setting the tracking all in 5 mins?

If this is true start going round the garages mate i gaurantee you youll get a jobi could pay you £60 an hour and still make a fortune if your as quick as that
chocci8 h, 22 m ago

Lol, it made no sense to me either. I guess English isn't his first …Lol, it made no sense to me either. I guess English isn't his first language either

Wish I was as educated as you
whelan1891 h, 23 m ago

Wish I was as educated as you

Nothing to do with education just nothing that you wrote made any sense whatsoever
123batman32156 m ago

Nothing to do with education just nothing that you wrote made any sense …Nothing to do with education just nothing that you wrote made any sense whatsoever

I've read it back and yes it has mistakes from quicktyping although I can still understand it, people just trying to be smart asses
123batman3214 h, 12 m ago

So your getting a drop link off fitting a new one removing the track rod …So your getting a drop link off fitting a new one removing the track rod end from the hub securing the new gaiter fefitting the track rod end. Freeing off the track rods on both sides to track it properly then setting the tracking all in 5 mins? If this is true start going round the garages mate i gaurantee you youll get a jobi could pay you £60 an hour and still make a fortune if your as quick as that

So how long would it take you?. I didn't include tracking time. Certainty shouldn't be charging more than an hour's labour. £185 is excessive.
Your prob gettin 1.5 book time includin tracking Lets say 60 quid plus vat so theres 72. 30 quid for parts and 54.85 for the mot comes to around £162. Given its a ford i would also be assuming the track rods aint gona move so your going to be heating them too.

Alot of garages dealers in particular do overcharge but to say you can do all that in 5 mins is ridiculous. Bear in mind your average person has no idea where to start with these jobs. I see the results of peoples attempts regulary which can be bloody hilarious at best and extremely dangerous at worst
123batman3214 h, 57 m ago

Your prob gettin 1.5 book time includin tracking Lets say 60 quid plus vat …Your prob gettin 1.5 book time includin tracking Lets say 60 quid plus vat so theres 72. 30 quid for parts and 54.85 for the mot comes to around £162. Given its a ford i would also be assuming the track rods aint gona move so your going to be heating them too. Alot of garages dealers in particular do overcharge but to say you can do all that in 5 mins is ridiculous. Bear in mind your average person has no idea where to start with these jobs. I see the results of peoples attempts regulary which can be bloody hilarious at best and extremely dangerous at worst

Free retest in ops case, That's excessive for MOT in any case, I don't know anywhere in my area where they charge more than £45. Ok 5 minutes is rather ridiculous but shouldn't take long, Fair enough if tracking needs doing then it'll probably take a little longer but I'd expect to pay around £90, £110 if tracking needs doing. Hence why I think it's excessive.
.MUFC.4 h, 38 m ago

Free retest in ops case, That's excessive for MOT in any case, I don't …Free retest in ops case, That's excessive for MOT in any case, I don't know anywhere in my area where they charge more than £45. Ok 5 minutes is rather ridiculous but shouldn't take long, Fair enough if tracking needs doing then it'll probably take a little longer but I'd expect to pay around £90, £110 if tracking needs doing. Hence why I think it's excessive.

Ive assumed the original price of the mot is included in the final price op would need to clarify. If thats the case were not that far apart on pricing.

Not sure if your aware of the ins and outs of a test centre but they are subject to regular risk assessments. The less point you get the lower risk the garage is considered. Discounted mots is one of the things the dvsa really dont like and puts your risk score up a fair bit. I assume the reasoning is they think your either smashing them thru quickly and missing things or failing unduly to make up the difference

Ps quite nice to hve a sensible arguement on here without someone resorting to name calling or spitting the dummy lol
123batman32157 m ago

Ive assumed the original price of the mot is included in the final price …Ive assumed the original price of the mot is included in the final price op would need to clarify. If thats the case were not that far apart on pricing. Not sure if your aware of the ins and outs of a test centre but they are subject to regular risk assessments. The less point you get the lower risk the garage is considered. Discounted mots is one of the things the dvsa really dont like and puts your risk score up a fair bit. I assume the reasoning is they think your either smashing them thru quickly and missing things or failing unduly to make up the differencePs quite nice to hve a sensible arguement on here without someone resorting to name calling or spitting the dummy lol

Yes as my friend is a tester and he mentions that all the time lol, I get cheap MOTs too :). I guess in certain areas they charge more but most around me are £45, Certainly more pressure on testers now. He gets regular visits lol. Think he says it's like a traffic light system. You're adding MOT on so you're estimate is only a little more than mine agreed. I guess also part costs can vary too. Loosely I would have thought parts could have cost upwards of £60+ if OEM without checking Carparts4less. It's easy to see how £100 becomes £200. Personally if I didn't do most the repairs myself I'd pay extra for a quality garage I can trust. They're hard to come by these days!
.MUFC.16 m ago

Yes as my friend is a tester and he mentions that all the time lol, I get …Yes as my friend is a tester and he mentions that all the time lol, I get cheap MOTs too :). I guess in certain areas they charge more but most around me are £45, Certainly more pressure on testers now. He gets regular visits lol. Think he says it's like a traffic light system. You're adding MOT on so you're estimate is only a little more than mine agreed. I guess also part costs can vary too. Loosely I would have thought parts could have cost upwards of £60+ if OEM without checking Carparts4less. It's easy to see how £100 becomes £200. Personally if I didn't do most the repairs myself I'd pay extra for a quality garage I can trust. They're hard to come by these days!

Aye its on a traffic light system. You can discount for people you know which doesnt affect i think its if you advertise lower cost.

People like yoursel workin on motors to save a few quid i hve no problem with you seem clued up its the ones who hve no clue that worry me. Had a guy trying to do his brakes. Returned a couple of hours later lookin for a 36mm socket. I said what u needing that for? The reply? “To take the big nut in the middle off to remove the wheel”. Im like jesus if you think thats how to take the wheel off should you really be messing about with your brakes lol
123batman32144 m ago

Aye its on a traffic light system. You can discount for people you know …Aye its on a traffic light system. You can discount for people you know which doesnt affect i think its if you advertise lower cost. People like yoursel workin on motors to save a few quid i hve no problem with you seem clued up its the ones who hve no clue that worry me. Had a guy trying to do his brakes. Returned a couple of hours later lookin for a 36mm socket. I said what u needing that for? The reply? “To take the big nut in the middle off to remove the wheel”. Im like jesus if you think thats how to take the wheel off should you really be messing about with your brakes lol

Lol, yes I totally agree, Some people shouldn't be allowed near a spanner, I think their is a certain level of competence required. I respect that obviously you're mechanically clued up as I am to a certain extent. 90% of people would be better off using a garage. I've accumulated quite a few tools over the years lol, most recently a spring compressor. Now that can be really dangerous and not a job for a novice lol. Paying for tools you're only going to use once is another factor! I think the guy in question has been watching too much formula one lol.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants