Mot question

Found 25th Nov 2017
Why do I have an advisory on my MOT for this and is that normal.
Nearside Rear door child lock active
Offside Rear door child lock activated
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Why didn't you ask the garage that did the mot
22 Comments
Are they not advising they have activated it as both should be on or off?
A few years ago I was told that many garages are told to put an advisory on all certs. However this seems a little silly. I wouldn’t worry about it but I’d phone and ask why out of interest
If it's like the same rules for child seats that are fitted they are not allowed to remove them and therefore could not test the seat belt etc. So it could be that they find it activated, but are not allowed to turn them off/on during testing perhaps. Therefore the advisory simply means 'not tested'. Or alternatively, they have found them activated and simply making you aware since in the event of an accident anyone in the back will not be able to get out using the inside handle, hence a safety advisory.
Edited by: "IronGlaive" 25th Nov 2017
Do you have kids? If so, both door child locks should be activated. It’s only an advisory - don’t worry about it.
You can always ring the mot place you took it to and ask. They’ll be happy to explain, its part of the test for them to explain any advisory/failures
Edited by: "donteatlego123" 25th Nov 2017
benjammin3162 h, 40 m ago

short answer its still with my car mechanic as he was working on it and took it over the rd to be mot'ed. he told me what it has failed on and i checked it via the .gov website the advisory's iv asked about were in the advisory list when i pick the car up i will ask. just wanted to see if some one could shed light here first.
It is part of the mot to check that the rear doors open from the inside so that passengers can get out in an accident. Yours wont as the child locks are on and the tester shouldnt turn the child locks off to check in case he forgets to turn them back on

The advisory is there as it is possible that the door could be defective in that it may still not open with the child lock turned off which would be an mot failure

Its the same with a child seat advisory. The tester wont remove the child seat to check the seatbelt fully so it draws your attention to the fact that the belt hasnt been tested fully

If your keen to get a clean sheet you could pop into the garage monday morning and switch off the child locks yourself. The garage should be happy for you to do this
123batman32137 m ago

It is part of the mot to check that the rear doors open from the inside so …It is part of the mot to check that the rear doors open from the inside so that passengers can get out in an accident. Yours wont as the child locks are on and the tester shouldnt turn the child locks off to check in case he forgets to turn them back onThe advisory is there as it is possible that the door could be defective in that it may still not open with the child lock turned off which would be an mot failureIts the same with a child seat advisory. The tester wont remove the child seat to check the seatbelt fully so it draws your attention to the fact that the belt hasnt been tested fullyIf your keen to get a clean sheet you could pop into the garage monday morning and switch off the child locks yourself. The garage should be happy for you to do this

good point ill ask my mechanic to turn them off after he done the work on the car that should give me a clean sheet
123batman32143 m ago

It is part of the mot to check that the rear doors open from the inside so …It is part of the mot to check that the rear doors open from the inside so that passengers can get out in an accident. Yours wont as the child locks are on and the tester shouldnt turn the child locks off to check in case he forgets to turn them back onThe advisory is there as it is possible that the door could be defective in that it may still not open with the child lock turned off which would be an mot failureIts the same with a child seat advisory. The tester wont remove the child seat to check the seatbelt fully so it draws your attention to the fact that the belt hasnt been tested fullyIf your keen to get a clean sheet you could pop into the garage monday morning and switch off the child locks yourself. The garage should be happy for you to do this

32563676-L7KAl.jpg

Spot on mate!!
123batman321 wrote:
It is part of the mot to check that the rear doors open from the inside so that passengers can get out in an accident. Yours wont as the child locks are on and the tester shouldnt turn the child locks off to check in case he forgets to turn them back onThe advisory is there as it is possible that the door could be defective in that it may still not open with the child lock turned off which would be an mot failureIts the same with a child seat advisory. The tester wont remove the child seat to check the seatbelt fully so it draws your attention to the fact that the belt hasnt been tested fullyIf your keen to get a clean sheet you could pop into the garage monday morning and switch off the child locks yourself. The garage should be happy for you to do this

good point  ill ask my mechanic to turn them off after he done the work on the car that should give me a clean sheet

Make sure you ask befoe it is retested as it cant be altered afterwards
For Mot purposes the rear passenger doors only have to open from the outside, we don't have to test whether the rear doors open from the inside. Only the driver's & front passengers door has to open from inside & outside.

Method of inspection is in the link below.

Mot Testers Manual - 6.2 Seats and Doors
Good point richp. Did this not used to be part of the test? Been a while since i tested personally
richp1 h, 23 m ago

For Mot purposes the rear passenger doors only have to open from the …For Mot purposes the rear passenger doors only have to open from the outside, we don't have to test whether the rear doors open from the inside. Only the driver's & front passengers door has to open from inside & outside.Method of inspection is in the link below. Mot Testers Manual - 6.2 Seats and Doors

Beat me to it
123batman32156 m ago

Good point richp. Did this not used to be part of the test? Been a while …Good point richp. Did this not used to be part of the test? Been a while since i tested personally

No, not since the first car I repaired & tested & that was Fred Flintstones car, shows how long I've been a mechanic, lol.

Things are about to change for the MOT, it's to do with the new roadworthiness directive, it's to do with pass/fails & advisories in the way we issue them. Personally I'm not happy with this planned roll out.

I'm not sure if you've seen Matters of Testing, but I'll put a link below for some light reading if your interested.

Matters of Testing
Edited by: "richp" 25th Nov 2017
Seems stupid, disable the locks and see if it can be taken off the mot "history"

Advisories don't help when selling a car and the majority of people know how to look up the history now

Yes it's not a serious one like corrosion etc but someone a bit stupid might think it's something else and it might cost you a sale in the future

For the record mine was MOT'd 2 weeks ago and there was no mention of the child locks, which were on at the time
123batman321 wrote:
Good point richp. Did this not used to be part of the test? Been a while since i tested personally

No, not since the first car I repaired & tested & that was Fred Flintstones car, shows how long I’ve been a mechanic, lol.

Things are about to change for the MOT, it’s to do with the new roadworthiness directive, it’s to do with pass/fails & advisories in the way we issue them. Personally I’m not happy with this planned roll out.

I’m not sure if you’ve seen Matters of Testing, but I’ll put a link below for some light reading if your interested.

Matters of Testing

I did see this. I thought it wasnt too bad an idea. Well at least the part about hidden advisories.

Id noticed older testers tend to advise more whilst younger (kind of) like myself tend to only advise where really necesary
richp3 h, 25 m ago

No, not since the first car I repaired & tested & that was Fred …No, not since the first car I repaired & tested & that was Fred Flintstones car, shows how long I've been a mechanic, lol. Things are about to change for the MOT, it's to do with the new roadworthiness directive, it's to do with pass/fails & advisories in the way we issue them. Personally I'm not happy with this planned roll out. I'm not sure if you've seen Matters of Testing, but I'll put a link below for some light reading if your interested.Matters of Testing

I did see this. I thought it wasnt too bad an idea. Well at least the part about hidden advisories.

Id noticed older testers tend to advise more whilst younger (kind of) like myself tend to only advise where really necesary
123batman32146 m ago

I did see this. I thought it wasnt too bad an idea. Well at least the part …I did see this. I thought it wasnt too bad an idea. Well at least the part about hidden advisories. Id noticed older testers tend to advise more whilst younger (kind of) like myself tend to only advise where really necesary

That's cos youngsters are lazy
Shengis8 h, 30 m ago

That's cos youngsters are lazy

Lol to be fair they actually put out a notice abfew years back discouraging testers from putting unnecessary advisories wheras beforehand it was encouraged

But yes we are a lazy bunch (does 31 still count as a youngster lol)
richp19 h, 33 m ago

For Mot purposes the rear passenger doors only have to open from the …For Mot purposes the rear passenger doors only have to open from the outside, we don't have to test whether the rear doors open from the inside. Only the driver's & front passengers door has to open from inside & outside.Method of inspection is in the link below. Mot Testers Manual - 6.2 Seats and Doors

So in your honest opinion why has my tester put this on as an advisory if it’s not actually part of the test
I don't know to be honest, as long as he can open the rear doors from the outside & they opened OK & secured properly, there was no reason to put it down, I'd ask his reasoning behind it, I'm curious.
I know in the past I've been asked why did I advise about a child seat being fitted, it's because if a child seat is fitted and a seat belt is plugged in to secure it we can't fully check the adult belt as we are not allowed to un- plug the seat belt. But as the child seat is now secured by the adult seat belt we check the child seat belts as it becomes all part of the seat belt, if that makes sense.
richp23 h, 8 m ago

I don't know to be honest, as long as he can open the rear doors from the …I don't know to be honest, as long as he can open the rear doors from the outside & they opened OK & secured properly, there was no reason to put it down, I'd ask his reasoning behind it, I'm curious.I know in the past I've been asked why did I advise about a child seat being fitted, it's because if a child seat is fitted and a seat belt is plugged in to secure it we can't fully check the adult belt as we are not allowed to un- plug the seat belt. But as the child seat is now secured by the adult seat belt we check the child seat belts as it becomes all part of the seat belt, if that makes sense.

Yer iv read online before about the child seat. I messaged my mechanic at dinnertime to do the front droplinks and rear axle bushes which it failed on and to take the child locks off because that's a ridiculous advisory and i don't want that as an advisory again. The car passed this after noon and this time no advisory about the child locks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants