Groups

MOT Question

MOT due this week & booked for Thursday however just been out in the car & there is a squeeling noise soming from the rear brakes..not all the time but seems to be noiser after time/distance.

Googled this & seems to be a rear brake caliper..seems this is a comomn vault on Zafiras, spoken to garage (not one booked MOT with!) & they agree most probably this now the bad news to fix best part of £300!

My question is will the car pass an MOT like this? I know it needs to be done but finding the money by the end of the week is the problem!

15 Comments

Impossible to tell over t'internet, unless it is affecting the braking performance it should be ok for the MOT.

Once passed get several opinions / quotes and go from there.

Could be a seizing caliper or just a pad issue.

well put it in for the mot and see! Only then will you know it will fail...brakes are checked on the mot

My question is will the car pass an MOT like this? I know it needs to be … My question is will the car pass an MOT like this? I know it needs to be done but finding the money by the end of the week is the problem!

So let's say someone on here says that it won't pass, what are you going to do?

It may not be as bad as you think, sometimes brakes make noises just because they are dusty etc, it would be worth taking it into a garage and asking them to look at it before panicking. I would also suggest not telling the garage what you suspect it is let them diagnose, some garages will happily charge you for a more expensive job if thet think they can get away with it.

Original Poster

thesaint;5123308

So let's say someone on here says that it won't pass, what are you going … So let's say someone on here says that it won't pass, what are you going to do?

Good question...live in the sticks..public transport poor...

read a few forums like ]this one it seems vauxhall are aware of a problem and are replacing them on some cars, try your local vauxhall dealer

why not put it in for its test if fails then at least you will have a extra few days to find the cash before the retest,
    and the garage will tell you whats wrong with it and what needs to be done

bambu;5123522

why not put it in for its test if fails then at least you will have a … why not put it in for its test if fails then at least you will have a extra few days to find the cash before the retest,and the garage will tell you whats wrong with it and what needs to be done

Not necessarily. They will say it failed, but may not say what needs fixing/replacing.

Original Poster

thesaint;5123562

Not necessarily. They will say it failed, but may not say what needs … Not necessarily. They will say it failed, but may not say what needs fixing/replacing.

They must give you a list of advisory work surely?

tracymac;5123606

They must give you a list of advisory work surely?

Unless it has changed, no.

The failure sheet should state what has failed. Let's say the brakes do not reach the required limit, then it will say that. They would be foolhardy to say that "The calipers need removing and greasing, then this will solve the problem".

If the customer took the car away, got it done, and this did not cure the problem, the customer would come back and get another failure certificate, and would have done this job for nothing, and want recompense.

Could be a rear wheel hub bearing, don't assume it's the brakes. If it is, a new rear caliper can be found on ebay for around £40, but they can be repaired, perhaps you may only need new rear brake pads.

Does the car have a high mileage? and, when were the rear brake pads last replaced?

Can't see how it would be a failure point.

If its squeking it may just need some copper grease on the pads

pghstochaj;5123758

Can't see how it would be a failure point.

Depends if it affecting braking performance, my dads brakes were playing up before Christmas and the garage were struggling to diagnose the problem, so we MOTed it when it came due hoping that it would fail and tell us what the problem was, but it passed no problem, even though the brakes were not good enough to drive it. But the machine said that they were satisfactory and it passed anyway. Its luck of the draw.

kidcat;5124281

Depends if it affecting braking performance, my dads brakes were playing … Depends if it affecting braking performance, my dads brakes were playing up before Christmas and the garage were struggling to diagnose the problem, so we MOTed it when it came due hoping that it would fail and tell us what the problem was, but it passed no problem, even though the brakes were not good enough to drive it. But the machine said that they were satisfactory and it passed anyway. Its luck of the draw.

If the brakes simply squeek, was my point, not if there is an actual problem. The MOT is fairly simple and what the testers do is very straightforward.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Jury service44
      2. 10% Argos code with glitch11
      3. Anyone got a spare Argos 10% code from the Xbox Minecraft mistake?55
      4. Input Lag v Refresh rate on a TV..46

See more discussions