Groups

MOT & Service cost??

Been quoted £350 for MOT and service where they are changing 2 front tires and pollen filter...seems pricey, anyone else have any thoughts on if this is reasonable??

Done through Toyota dealer so knew would charge more than normal garage

15 Comments

It maybe that the POLLENT filter us really expensive. Sounds really rare!

depends what tyres they are puttin on I guess.....for my Pug I have £120 tyres (each) so would be a bargain for me....I think an MOT/Service usually costs £99-£150 to do, without replairs etc?

(never heard of a pollent filter...)

Last service on my car ( have it done every september ) was £220.

Why did you go to the main dealer to get the tyres? They are going to be at least 50% dearer than other places.
    I got 2 Avon ZV5's on my car last week for £108 including fitting.
    National typres wanted £160 and I didn't dare go to the Vauxhall garage to price them there.

A pollen filter is a bit expensive, but only around £20 max. depends on the car really but they are so simple to change, anyone could do it in less than 10 mins.

Arent they touching the air/oil filter?

You should pay about £170 for a full service. An MOT should cost about £50.

Best place for tyres is [url]www.etyres.co.uk[/url]

They come to your house and fit them as well.

Original Poster

They have done the MOT and service so would they sign it off as MOT if i say no to the tyres and get them somewhere else though?
    Not a car enthusiast so not overly excited about tyres othern than they need to be round!

It's the wife's car..Toyota Yaris

richardcotton;6725377

They have done the MOT and service so would they sign it off as MOT if i … They have done the MOT and service so would they sign it off as MOT if i say no to the tyres and get them somewhere else though?Not a car enthusiast so not overly excited about tyres othern than they need to be round!It's the wife's car..Toyota Yaris

get someone to clarify...but im sure MOT garages need to let you have a certain amount of time to 'fix' any problems within a certain time...then you are allowed to take it back to them to recheck and pass you.....sure I have heard it somewhere but cant remember where so see if anyone else agrees

norfolk_enchance;6725235

It maybe that the POLLENT filter us really expensive. Sounds really rare!

you made a typo yourself there big fella :-D

planearm;6725370

You should pay about £170 for a full service. An MOT should cost about … You should pay about £170 for a full service. An MOT should cost about £50.Best place for tyres is [url]www.etyres.co.uk[/url] They come to your house and fit them as well.

Mine were £12 cheaper than there for two tyres
    tyre-shopper.co.uk/

The pollen filter is like the air filter for your engine except its for your heater/ac to help reduce dust particles and such when you turn on heater/ac

Often cheap to buy & easy to fit, so worth checking the manual.

Suggest also taking the car to a tyre place, to see if they are really are needed, as they are not always required. Main dealers often assume you know nothing & try get more £ from ya

Banned

seems reasonable to me for a main dealer. make sure they stamp the service book!

always take my verso to the main delaer (warranty reasons) and that sounds about the right price depends though on weather you have aloys etc what makeof tires, as for the pollen filter watch out as i think this is a toyota scam they used to change mine every year saying it needed to be done, but when i looked at the service sheet the little tick box was only on amber not red & when i checked with my mate you dont have to do amber stuff so i know let my pollen filter go every 2 years and it still only gets ticked as amber. hope this helps.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice - wife going to have a quiet word with them when she gets there!!

Pollen filter should be no more than £20, and you only need it if you have aircon really. It's easy to change, I think on the Yaris it's near the glovebox, but can't remember. Might be worth googling.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction714
      2. Teenage son new phone (1250 budget)1626
      3. Ditched Sky911
      4. sky q is it a good deal?68

See more discussions