MOT tests to be extended by 6 months, if yours is due from 30 March

Posted 25th Mar
Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP

@grantshapps
·
18m
Given the circumstances I'm granting an MOT temporary exemption so that if your MOT is due from 30th March 2020 you will automatically receive a SIX-month extension. However, you must still keep your car in a roadworthy condition and garages will remain open if you need repairs.
Community Updates
Country Manager
The Transport Secretary announced this morning that anyone whose MOT on a car, van or motorcycle expires after 30 March 2020 will temporarily receive a six month extension. This is due to the difficulty in getting cars to garages during the lockdown. Full details here: gov.uk/gov…rus

The plan is to pass some legislation that will last for up to twelve months.This is all in order to reduce unnecessary trips out of the house.

If your MOT has already expired, or expires before 30 March, but you cannot get an appointment or are self-isolating, then instead you need to declare your vehicle off the road, otherwise known as SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). Full information on that here: gov.uk/gui…020

If you sd postpone your MOT, it is still vital to keep your car roadworthy and safe if you are driving it - and failing to do so could still result in a fine.
Misc

Groups

Top comments
From a safety issue, 6 months is too long, they should have gone for 3 months & then re-evaluated, I've seen too many bags of to not have an MOT for 6 months.
jo-bb25/03/2020 10:11

I was in the same boat, garage called yesterday to cancel as they are …I was in the same boat, garage called yesterday to cancel as they are closing.

You don't need to mot a boat.
richp25/03/2020 09:34

From a safety issue, 6 months is too long, they should have gone for 3 …From a safety issue, 6 months is too long, they should have gone for 3 months & then re-evaluated, I've seen too many bags of to not have an MOT for 6 months.

Lets be honest, most people will only be driving for essential travel. the amount of miles individuals will do will dramatically reduce, which means that the items that are checked in an MOT will last longer by nature.

Also lets consider what is covered in an MOT and individuals personal responsibility.

Lights - personal responsibility - you can check your lights work
Horn - personal responsibility - you can check your horn works
Exhaust and emissions - personal responsibility - you can hear if your exhaust is blowing
Doors and openings personal responsibility - you can check if your doors open
Bodywork - personal responsibility - you can check the condition of the car
Seats and seatbelts - personal responsibility - you can check if your seat beat clicks in and out.
Tow bar = - personal responsibility - you can check that your tow bar is secure before using.
Vehicle identification - personal responsibility - you can check that you are driving your own car
Wheels and tyres - personal responsibility - you can check the condition of your tyres
Windows and mirrors - personal responsibility - you can check you have mirrors and no big cracks in your window.

the two items below that could create issues in terms of satefy, but still common sense and personal responsibility should aim your choice to drive your car or not.

Brakes - personal responsibility - if you hear a grinding noise when you brake, very bad juddering THEN don't drive.
Steering - personal responsibility - if your steering wheel feels loose, and has "play" THEN don't drive.

The MOT requirement will have changed, but individual personal responsibility has not, for example

If you have 10 months MOT but need a new tyre, You would not wait for the next MOT,

SO lets hope car garages do stay open for essential repairs such as Brakes, steering and suspension.

Also, I am putting my neck out with this post, and i know some "virtue signalling" people will tell me how wrong I am for having an point of view.
Edited by: "Diablo2" 25th Mar

From a safety issue, 6 months is too long, they should have gone for 3 …From a safety issue, 6 months is too long, they should have gone for 3 months & then re-evaluated, I've seen too many bags of to not have an MOT for 6 months.

an MOT only tests the car at the point of test, it can be unroadworthy as soon as you drive it away from an MOT and happily drive around for up to 13 months before the next one
210 Comments
Link on government website
gov.uk/gov…rus
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 25th Mar
Great news
DVSA MOTdetails for 6 month extension.
Edited by: "richp" 25th Mar
What happens if it is due today? Looks like you'd still have to take your car for a test.
From a safety issue, 6 months is too long, they should have gone for 3 months & then re-evaluated, I've seen too many bags of to not have an MOT for 6 months.
My mot expires on the 30th of July, does this mean I get 6 months ontop or would it expire 6 months after 30th march. Thanks
So I need the MOT to get my car taxed, how does that work? It's all online now, so I don't need to show my MOT now (it runs out March 30th).
Thanks for posting OP, much appreciated as mine was due early April.....takes some “pressure” off (although granted, extremely low level pressure!)
Dude197125/03/2020 09:36

So I need the MOT to get my car taxed, how does that work? It's all online …So I need the MOT to get my car taxed, how does that work? It's all online now, so I don't need to show my MOT now (it runs out March 30th).

Your mot will expire 6 months after the 30th of March instead...
deals6925/03/2020 09:35

My mot expires on the 30th of July, does this mean I get 6 months ontop or …My mot expires on the 30th of July, does this mean I get 6 months ontop or would it expire 6 months after 30th march. Thanks

It's on the gov website linked above...

What you need to do
You do not need to do anything to extend your vehicle’s MOT expiry date if it’s on or after 30 March 2020. However, you must keep your vehicle safe to drive.

Your vehicle will be automatically given a 6-month MOT exemption. This will extend your current MOT expiry date by 6 months.
Edited by: "meherenow" 25th Mar
meherenow25/03/2020 09:41

It's on the gov website linked above...What you need to doYou do not need …It's on the gov website linked above...What you need to doYou do not need to do anything to extend your vehicle’s MOT expiry date if it’s on or after 30 March 2020. However, you must keep your vehicle safe to drive.Your vehicle will be automatically given a 6-month MOT exemption. This will extend your current MOT expiry date by 6 months.

I'll try and tax the car today - see what happens
yorkie1225/03/2020 09:34

What happens if it is due today? Looks like you'd still have to take your …What happens if it is due today? Looks like you'd still have to take your car for a test.

LOL so what? Take it for a test.

My mot expires on the 30th of July, does this mean I get 6 months ontop or …My mot expires on the 30th of July, does this mean I get 6 months ontop or would it expire 6 months after 30th march. Thanks

Who knows , as ever it`s worded ambiguously
That reminds me I must SORN my car today lol
mine expired 4th march i just released yesterday.

What happens if it is due today? Looks like you'd still have to take your …What happens if it is due today? Looks like you'd still have to take your car for a test.

Looks to me from this - gov.uk/gui…020 - that is you are not self-isolating, or don't live with someone with virus symptoms, they are still expecting people to go.

Perhaps they will clarify in the coming days, as i expect a lot of garages are closed or fully booked

sounds like you will get a 6 month extension, provided the legislation they pass is still active by then (current Covid-19 data suggests it probably will be)
Dan25/03/2020 09:48

Looks to me from this - …Looks to me from this - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-before-30-march-2020 - that is you are not self-isolating, or don't live with someone with virus symptoms, they are still expecting people to go.Perhaps they will clarify in the coming days, as i expect a lot of garages are closed or fully booked

We are fully booked with MOT's until middle of April, well we may not be now
I don't know if my car will make it that long
What about cars less than 3 years old that are due for first MOT soon? I’ve just checked the website and it’s still showing due on the original date (May)??

Agrees, it shoulds been effective today so it is clear for everybody. My Dad's is due on the 30th, not sure whether he will be eligible to extend it or not. He can't leave the house which means I have to risk collecting his car, going to the garage getting it done for him.
tfish25/03/2020 09:44

LOL so what? Take it for a test.

Loads of small garages open still
That's good to know OP, thank you. My vehicle recently passed its MOT and was due to be renewed 31 March but the £145 saved and deferred for another 6 months will be a welcome one.
gallopingbanker25/03/2020 09:53

What about cars less than 3 years old that are due for first MOT soon? …What about cars less than 3 years old that are due for first MOT soon? I’ve just checked the website and it’s still showing due on the original date (May)??

No reason to assume they wouldn't be included - so you'll get an extension till November
I have the MOT booked for this weekend.. due by April 12th.. Should I still make the efforts to complete it..?
Damn just mot and serviced the bike due beginning of April that’s £170 notes I could’ve done with now the wife’s not working
Poch25/03/2020 10:01

That's good to know OP, thank you. My vehicle recently passed its MOT and …That's good to know OP, thank you. My vehicle recently passed its MOT and was due to be renewed 31 March but the £145 saved and deferred for another 6 months will be a welcome one.

Think that's road tax your thinking of??
If your vehicle recently passed its MOT it doesn't need another one for a year.
a.19831125/03/2020 10:05

I have the MOT booked for this weekend.. due by April 12th.. Should I …I have the MOT booked for this weekend.. due by April 12th.. Should I still make the efforts to complete it..?

I was in the same boat, garage called yesterday to cancel as they are closing.
gallopingbanker25/03/2020 09:53

What about cars less than 3 years old that are due for first MOT soon? …What about cars less than 3 years old that are due for first MOT soon? I’ve just checked the website and it’s still showing due on the original date (May)??

It does say that it won't show up immediately and to keep checking back, I dare say that by the time may gets here it will show up on the system.
jo-bb25/03/2020 10:11

I was in the same boat, garage called yesterday to cancel as they are …I was in the same boat, garage called yesterday to cancel as they are closing.

You don't need to mot a boat.
Why an mot extension?
My 19yr old has to work at the garage which is still trading so it doesnt make sense to give out the extension unless they close the garages!
MOT Expires:
30 March 2020

just checked my MOT, does this mean i am okay for 6 months?
Edited by: "Diablo2" 25th Mar
jo-bb25/03/2020 10:10

Think that's road tax your thinking of??If your vehicle recently passed …Think that's road tax your thinking of??If your vehicle recently passed its MOT it doesn't need another one for a year.

Vehicle tax yes - bugger does that mean I have to fork out £145?
Mine expires on the 29th... does that mean my MOT is due on 30th, making me exempt, or do I still need to have a test as MOT expired before the 30th?!?

Had a MOT booked for the 30th, but garage has cancelled all appointments...

Maybe, but will there been any mechanics in available to do it in 3 months?

This won't be over in 3 months. Also, the vast majority of vehicles are being driven a LOT less, so there will be less wear on them, and less risk in general. Vans will be driven the same/more, but I guess they took a view on it.
Anyone who requires an MOT between 1st April - 30th March will be exempt for 6 months, so everyone will be deferred.
Edited by: "noengineers" 25th Mar
It’s going to be mental in six months when you need to book it in for an MOT. Six months of back log.
Poch25/03/2020 10:17

Vehicle tax yes - bugger does that mean I have to fork out £145? …Vehicle tax yes - bugger does that mean I have to fork out £145?

Sorry! This is just the MOT!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants