Groups
    EXPIRED

Motherboard, CPU and RAM combo

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a new motherboard, CPU and RAM for my main PC. I came across the CPU/mobo combo on scan.co.uk, and thought the RAM seemed a pretty good deal too. The whole lot comes to £451.33 including RAM. Does anyone know of any better deals? This is about the extent of my budget.

scan.co.uk/Pro…308
    scan.co.uk/Pro…571
    scan.co.uk/Pro…65V

I'm also not massively knowledgeable about computer hardware. Is there anything else I may not have considered?

Thanks for advice you can offer.

Cheers,
    Pete

5 Comments

Original Poster

Thanks Lewman!

>I'm also not massively knowledgeable about computer hardware. Is there anything else I may not have considered?

To take advantage of 6Gb of memory you need a 64 bit operating system.

32bit Windows for example can only "see" about 3.5Gb of memory, anything above that is a waste.

This is a full size ATX motherboard so make sure your case can take it (some small form factor cases cant take a full size ATX board).

Note there is no on-board graphics so you need a separate graphics card.

Original Poster

[Edit] Removing double post

Original Poster

Thanks Guilbert,

I've got a retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, which I believe came with both 32bit and 64bit versions. However I took a closer look and I can't see that particular RAM speed listed on the specifications for the motherboard. Instead I'm looking at coupling it with this from eBuyer:
    ]http//ww…578

My case is quite beefy (a Cooler Master ATCS: ukgamer.com/art…tml), so it should be large enough. I got a PCI-E graphics card from a post on here late last year. I can't remember what it is though.

Thanks for the advice!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. connect tablet28
      2. Which SSD drive I need to replace my current HD49
      3. How to get laptop to boot from DVD/CD drive?36
      4. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …69

See more discussions