Mothercare about to go into administration?

Posted 4th Nov
Sky news have stated this but nothing from Mothercare themselves as yet so being a little cautious right now.

Full tweet below:

Mothercare has confirmed my scoop that it is filing to put its UK operations into administration, saying that the company can no longer afford to fund the cash demands of its loss-making British business. Another blow to the high street, although a rescuer could yet emerge.

twitter.com/Mar…864

Really hope this isn't the case! Losing a job is terrible regardless but so close to Christmas is another kick in the teeth

Approx 2500 jobs are at risk

Further update:

news.sky.com/sto…861

If you have Mothercare giftcards, suggest you spend them ASAP as they usually lose their value once adminstrators are appointent.

Same with below.

If you have any items from Mothercare and wish/need to return them, suggest worth trying to return these instore and trying to get your money back.

Will update further as/when.
Community Updates

Groups

13 Comments
Didn't they go into administration few years ago but were waiting for the buyer etc?
AMaky04/11/2019 09:10

Didn't they go into administration few years ago but were waiting for the …Didn't they go into administration few years ago but were waiting for the buyer etc?

''The most recent attempts included the closure of 50 stores through a rescue deal agreed with creditors last year''

Obviously tried to plug the gap but not had much luck
goonertillidie04/11/2019 09:21

''The most recent attempts included the closure of 50 stores through a …''The most recent attempts included the closure of 50 stores through a rescue deal agreed with creditors last year''Obviously tried to plug the gap but not had much luck

no doesn't seem like it worked no.
not great to be stuck in limbo.
AMaky04/11/2019 09:25

no doesn't seem like it worked no.not great to be stuck in limbo.

Sadly not, hopefully things will be OK.
Devastating news for staff, stores and the hgh street. I'm 20 weeks pregnant with twins and we were going to go on a bit of a shopping spree at Mothercare soon
Edited by: "squiff" 4th Nov
solid04/11/2019 09:33

BBC storyhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50287153Not good

squiff04/11/2019 10:10

Devastating news for staff, stores and the hgh street. I'm 20 weeks …Devastating news for staff, stores and the hgh street. I'm 20 weeks pregnant with twins and we were going to go on a bit of a shopping spree at Mothercare soon

So sad isn't it.

Massive buildings for the most part, rent must be crazy also.
I thought they had already closed years ago. The ones round here did
squiff04/11/2019 10:10

Devastating news for staff, stores and the hgh street. I'm 20 weeks …Devastating news for staff, stores and the hgh street. I'm 20 weeks pregnant with twins and we were going to go on a bit of a shopping spree at Mothercare soon

hang on for a bit you might get some closing down sale bargains, every cloud and all that, although i do feel sorry for the staff at this time
ding04/11/2019 15:49

hang on for a bit you might get some closing down sale bargains, every …hang on for a bit you might get some closing down sale bargains, every cloud and all that, although i do feel sorry for the staff at this time

We'll hang fire for a bit but will probably venture down there later this week and see if we can grab a few bits (full price or otherwise) that're actually cheaper in Mothercare than Amazon etc (ie. Shnuggle bath - £19.97 at MC and £45 on Amazon). I really feel for the staff, especially not long before Christmas. Devastating news all round.
From a different angle please spend any and all giftcards immediately either in-store or website to ensure you personally don't lose out.
With more managers and directors being better educated with degrees and masters in the last 50 years, plus outstanding staff training and human resources, paying the senior tiers really well, have done really good for them all.
"Mamas & Papas follows Mothercare into administration"

[ standard.co.uk/bus…tml ]

Jason Collie, 3 days ago

Mamas & Papas has collapsed into administration with six store closures, just days after rival Mothercare went bust.

The retailer has made 73 staff redundant with immediate effect and has put 54 further jobs at risk within its head office.

Bluegem Capital, which has owned the business since 2014, has bought the company assets back through a pre-pack administration which will cut some of its financial liabilities.

Mamas & Papas chief executive Riccardo Cincotta said: “These actions are always difficult but they are also necessary in a challenging market to ensure Mamas & Papas achieves its considerable future potential.

“We remain fully focused on maintaining our position as the UK’s most popular nursery brand.

“We will continue to review our store portfolio in the light of customers’ changing behaviour and we remain fully committed to an omni-channel offering that reflects their evolving needs.”

Mothercare, which has 2,500 employees, went into administration earlier this week, announcing its 79 stores in the UK would shut.

Today it launched a massive closing down sale as it tried to clear its warehouses of stock ahead of its closure.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants