Mother’s Ruin - return to the 18th Century?

Found 16th Dec 2017
Britons have bought more than 47m bottles of gin this year, setting a new record, partly driven by the growth of craft and premium distillers such as Sipsmith.

UK gin sales have doubled in value over the last six years, reaching £1.2bn in the 12 months to the end of September, according to the latest market report from the Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA).

Sales have also grown more than any other spirit sold in UK in the last year, the trade body said, with 47m bottles sold, compared with 40m in the previous 12 months.

2856558-hwZaZ.jpg

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
16 Comments

As if it was that cheap now days, not mothers ruin more middle class folly

I wasn't the only one to picture Gin Lane when I read this in the news today then

I'm not surprised as there's loads of competitions to win gin just lately!

It's amazing what people will drink when it's trendy. It's got all the charm of drinking nail varnish remover.

On the plus side, maybe rum will get cheaper again

Nothing wrong with a drop of Gin

32772301-gWkbr.jpg

Anyone else think its amusing that Shengis liked MSK comment about Rum?
Edited by: "haritori" 16th Dec 2017

haritori1 h, 20 m ago

Anyone else think its amusing that Sengis liked MSK comment about Rum?

I was wondering

haritori1 h, 39 m ago

Anyone else think its amusing that Sengis liked MSK comment about Rum?

Who's Sengis?

MSK.24 m ago

Who's Sengis?

I suspect you know.. but in case you don't its an elephant shrew.
Edited by: "haritori" 16th Dec 2017

If I remember my history lessons, people used to drink gin because there was no fresh running water and it was cheap - hence the old line in Oliver Twist movie .." shut up Dodger and drink your gin " ..... it wasn't like the well distilled stuff of today - more like prohibition style moonshine distilled in an old bathtub in the back of the local tavern. Not a fan of the stuff myself but in my younger days I was very partial to a cocktail called a Gunner Royale which was gin , Campari , lemon juice and ice - worth experimenting with over Christmas if you don't mind the hangover the next day and believe me its like being hit with a sledgehammer !

MSK.16th Dec

It's amazing what people will drink when it's trendy. It's got all the …It's amazing what people will drink when it's trendy. It's got all the charm of drinking nail varnish remover.On the plus side, maybe rum will get cheaper again

You can't beat a G&T on a hot day.

Andy (dedicated follower of fashion )

To be fair I drink just about anything. To that end I don’t like keeping to the same old drink when I’m out. Gin gives the option to try quite a few different takes on it.
Though I’ll normally start in Beer and end on Vodka with Gin in the middle.

Alfsmum37 m ago

If I remember my history lessons, people used to drink gin because there …If I remember my history lessons, people used to drink gin because there was no fresh running water and it was cheap - hence the old line in Oliver Twist movie .." shut up Dodger and drink your gin " ..... it wasn't like the well distilled stuff of today - more like prohibition style moonshine distilled in an old bathtub in the back of the local tavern. Not a fan of the stuff myself but in my younger days I was very partial to a cocktail called a Gunner Royale which was gin , Campari , lemon juice and ice - worth experimenting with over Christmas if you don't mind the hangover the next day and believe me its like being hit with a sledgehammer !

That sounds similar to a negroni, one of my favourites but you have to respect it.

Andy@XCite40 m ago

You can't beat a G&T on a hot day.Andy (dedicated follower of fashion You can't beat a G&T on a hot day.Andy (dedicated follower of fashion )

You fashionista you if love to see what you're eating this season.

I'd rather have a point of Yellow Hammer.

I developed a taste for gin after working with a Professor, who had lived and worked all over the world, he advised that Gin was the cure all for ailments, and if it was wasn't working you weren't drinking enough of it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions