Motion sensor security lights installation - HELP

Posted 15th Apr
Are these security lights with motion sensor hard to install? I don't know much about how to connect them or what else I need to but to make them work.
Any help, please

Here

3442221.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
usually 3 wires as per the image, live, neutral and earth.

Note. if you don't know what you are doing then call a sparky.
Edited by: "mds1256" 15th Apr
You can just make it off to a 3 pin plug top that’s the easiest.
As already mentioned, probably not the official way of doing it and probably an electrician might tell me off but i have numerous around the house all with a standard 3 pin plug
Yes you can wire to a plug but where are you then going to plug that into? If an outdoor box then a potential burglar could just unplug it. However the issue is more with waterproofing of the plug and socket.
I'd guess from your need to ask the question I would recommend getting a sparks in as per mds1256
requires a switched fused spur preferably on an RCD/MCB controlled lighting circuit. There is a manual with it which will have sample wiring diagrams. Probably cost you £50 cash if there's a place to hook it up to close by

A sparky would be a good idea. electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/gui…iy/

The 13amp plug suggestion is inconsistent with caring abut your health and the safety of those you live with.
I wired mine to an FCU screwfix.com/p/m…479

And connected into my lighting circuits as they have plenty of spare capacity, since swapping to LEDs.

If you don't have a RCD in your consumer unit, you could use a RCD fused connector unit.

But, I think hard wiring it might now fall foul of part P, so maybe go with a plug, or RCD plug.
Edited by: "melted" 15th Apr
Verbal.Kint15/04/2020 14:27

Yes you can wire to a plug but where are you then going to plug that into? …Yes you can wire to a plug but where are you then going to plug that into? If an outdoor box then a potential burglar could just unplug it. However the issue is more with waterproofing of the plug and socket.I'd guess from your need to ask the question I would recommend getting a sparks in as per mds1256

I do have an air vent about 2.5 meters high that goes on my kitchen..so it wouldn't be a problem.
I just didn't knew if I can just tie the light to a normal plug
Edited by: "danflorin3" 15th Apr
if using a fcu or a 3 pin plug please remember to drop the fuse size down from the standard 13A.....
Probably hardest thing to do will be drilling a hole through your wall, requiring a hammer drill with a masonry bit long enough to go through said wall
danflorin315/04/2020 14:57

I do have an air vent about 2.5 meters that goes on my kitchen..so it …I do have an air vent about 2.5 meters that goes on my kitchen..so it wouldn't be a problem.I just didn't knew if I can just tie the light to a normal plug

How long do you think the device's integral cable is?
AndyRoyd15/04/2020 16:00

How long do you think the device's integral cable is?

Just noticed...

Cable length: About 4.92 Feet
If you can wire a plug you can install this. But bear in mind the cable you get with these lights is minimal.
danflorin315/04/2020 14:57

I do have an air vent about 2.5 meters high that goes on my kitchen..so it …I do have an air vent about 2.5 meters high that goes on my kitchen..so it wouldn't be a problem.I just didn't knew if I can just tie the light to a normal plug

Just make sure the rain wont travel down your cable and into your house, maybe make a drip stop by allowing the cable to loop/ hang lower than the inlet so the rain can drip
ding15/04/2020 17:45

Just make sure the rain wont travel down your cable and into your house, …Just make sure the rain wont travel down your cable and into your house, maybe make a drip stop by allowing the cable to loop/ hang lower than the inlet so the rain can drip

You normally drill on a slight angle upwards from the outside to help alleviate this. The water really shouldn’t get through though, bearing in mind that outside walls ordinary have a cavity.
Diggsy15/04/2020 20:35

You normally drill on a slight angle upwards from the outside to help …You normally drill on a slight angle upwards from the outside to help alleviate this. The water really shouldn’t get through though, bearing in mind that outside walls ordinary have a cavity.

But if op is using the vent then he wont be drilling a hole and the vent wont allow access to the cavity, but i do get your point tho
Edited by: "ding" 15th Apr
ding15/04/2020 17:45

Just make sure the rain wont travel down your cable and into your house, …Just make sure the rain wont travel down your cable and into your house, maybe make a drip stop by allowing the cable to loop/ hang lower than the inlet so the rain can drip

Thanks for all the help:)
Hi guys! Thanks all of you for the support. One quick question. I had noticed that some of them have 230V and some 240V? ...does it matters at all which ones do i buy?
Edited by: "danflorin3" 16th Apr
danflorin316/04/2020 16:17

Hi guys! Thanks all of you for the support. One quick question. I had …Hi guys! Thanks all of you for the support. One quick question. I had noticed that some of them have 230V and some 240V? ...does it matters at all which ones do i buy?

No difference at all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions