Moto G wi-fi/mobile data question

7 replies
Found 29th Dec 2015
Hi, Can someone clarify the following, I'm struggling to find the answer on the net:

Wi-Fi works fine at home or on hotspots fine.
When I go to work, the wi-fi there is secured, so unavailable.
My mobile data therefore should kick in??
This is not the case- I have to turn off my wi-fi, and then restart my phone- only then does my 3G service work.

Is this normal, or is there a simpler way to get around this?

Thanks in advance ;-)

7 Comments

On my Moto G, 3G kicks in as soon as there is no WiFi available. As long as you have mobile data switched on, this should be the case?

If you connected to Wifi, Network data won't kick in.

Since you can't get data from office Wifi; the best option for you is to go Settings > Wifi > Select your office network with long press and choose forget network.

So when you office your phone won't latch to it.

Palwan

If you connected to Wifi, Network data won't kick in.Since you can't get … If you connected to Wifi, Network data won't kick in.Since you can't get data from office Wifi; the best option for you is to go Settings > Wifi > Select your office network with long press and choose forget network.So when you office your phone won't latch to it.

agreed it won't switch to data until all available wifi have been ignored - if you cant access a wifi connection you need to "forget connection" so that it'll auto switch to data

Original Poster

philphil61

agreed it won't switch to data until all available wifi have been ignored … agreed it won't switch to data until all available wifi have been ignored - if you cant access a wifi connection you need to "forget connection" so that it'll auto switch to data

Will it not look to connect to my work network the following day, as it has discovered an "available wireless network?"

everywhere there will be available networks, in your bank branch, at the tube station etc. if you logged on to a particular network once it will remember it and try to reconnect when you are in range. however if that doesn't work, 3g data should kick in after a certain time. you shouldn't have to restart the phone each time just to achieve this.

i would factory reset and start from scratch.

sbirsen

everywhere there will be available networks, in your bank branch, at the … everywhere there will be available networks, in your bank branch, at the tube station etc. if you logged on to a particular network once it will remember it and try to reconnect when you are in range. however if that doesn't work, 3g data should kick in after a certain time. you shouldn't have to restart the phone each time just to achieve this.i would factory reset and start from scratch.

that seems excessive. what others have said is true.

if you have chosen once before to connect to the work wifi it will try each time. it will not switch to 3g as it thinks it should be ok on the wifi.

forget that one connection and then when in the office it will say wifi networks availale. as long as you dont connect again it will be on 3g.

you can also just switch wifi off. Pull down the action menu and either tap or long press the wifi button (apologies, im on a custom rom which is different to stock so cannot remember which) to turn it off. just remember to switch it back on when home!

Original Poster

Hello again- been fiddling with the settings for a couple of weeks now, and basically, if wi-fi has been on, 3G will not kick in when I do not have a network to log onto.
I have to switch off the wi-fi, then re-start the phone- 3G works fine.

Should the phone not just switch to whatever data source is active??
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244870
    2. Add one, leave one game54315392
    3. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?22
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322825

See more discussions