Motor oil question

Found 9th Jun
It dawned on me today that I have been using the wrong motor oil - 10W40 instead of 5W30.
I need to buy one like Castrol Edge Professional 5W30.

I did an oil change last week ( felt like it )
Now, do I mix the correct oil with the old oil or do I have to do an oil change again ?
And can you also mix oils of different brands ?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
I'd drain oil and replace. It's up to you if you want to mess with oil filter but I wouldn't bother if it's new. 5w30 What car you got? Ford maybe
Definately drain the oil and change it. Any local garage (not dealership) have a suction pump that they use to drain the oil. Once they've done that pop the new oil in unless you want the oil filter replacing too.
If you have a VW check the handbook ours uses both one for one type of service intervals the other for time and distance. Castrols own site however only mentions one.
wayners2 h, 13 m ago

I'd drain oil and replace. It's up to you if you want to mess with oil …I'd drain oil and replace. It's up to you if you want to mess with oil filter but I wouldn't bother if it's new. 5w30 What car you got? Ford maybe

Yep, a Focus
zworld5 m ago

Yep, a Focus

how old is it?

one grade thicker on an older engine probably wont be a problem
Depends how Rich you are if you want to waste Oil and a Filter that is only a week old from the last change.

Personally I wouldnt bother, just top up and then do a new Oil Change in 4k or 5k or so, wont do any harm, where in the Uk with normal Weather, so mixing 10W40 with 5W30 for a short time will be fine, it would be different if your in the Arctic or the Dessert as extreme temperatures would make a difference.

Also bare in mind that Oil is made up of Mixtures when its produced anyway.
If you don’t want the cost you will be okay over summer that is just it’s viscosity figure but it most definetly would not be okay as it gets cooler!
Cheers chaps. I'll let the current oil run low and then top it up with the 5W30 Castrol oil.
Some times u need go up a grade if ur car has high mileage so unless it's a very new car and low mileage don't worry about it . Some taxis even use the 20w50 oil as the higher mileage the thinner oil gets used up leaks away quicker.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants