Motor oil treatment/high zinc oil

Posted 10th Oct
Sorry to both you guys.

I wanted to ask those who use oil treatment such as Wynn’s/STP...
Has anyone tried mixing the oil treatment with new engine oil on a service, and then filling up the engine. Rather than adding the oil treatment through the filler cap on the engine?

Also....
What engine oils do you guys recommend with high zinc to protect the engine from wear?

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
So long as you change your oil frequently I wouldn't bother with "oil treatments". Use any oil that meets the manufactures specification.

I change mine every 6k which is usually around 6 months.
.MUFC.10/10/2019 18:37

So long as you change your oil frequently I wouldn't bother with "oil …So long as you change your oil frequently I wouldn't bother with "oil treatments". Use any oil that meets the manufactures specification.I change mine every 6k which is usually around 6 months.

Agreed.
Before using any oil treatment, do your research as if not suitable for your engine, it could do more harm than good.

Most mechanics just say avoid treatments and change your oil twice as regularly as advised by the owners manual.
30 Comments
Sorry to bother*
I did exactly what you described with some zx1 oil treatment. If the oil treatment offers a positive for your engine, I don't see why adding into the oil would offer any lesser results. In theory even better seeing as you've premixed so it's at the right concentration the moment it starts whirring around your engine.
Edited by: "TopTrump" 10th Oct
So long as you change your oil frequently I wouldn't bother with "oil treatments". Use any oil that meets the manufactures specification.

I change mine every 6k which is usually around 6 months.
.MUFC.10/10/2019 18:37

So long as you change your oil frequently I wouldn't bother with "oil …So long as you change your oil frequently I wouldn't bother with "oil treatments". Use any oil that meets the manufactures specification.I change mine every 6k which is usually around 6 months.

Agreed.
Before using any oil treatment, do your research as if not suitable for your engine, it could do more harm than good.

Most mechanics just say avoid treatments and change your oil twice as regularly as advised by the owners manual.
TopTrump10/10/2019 18:57

Agreed. Before using any oil treatment, do your research as if not …Agreed. Before using any oil treatment, do your research as if not suitable for your engine, it could do more harm than good.Most mechanics just say avoid treatments and change your oil twice as regularly as advised by the owners manual.

I drive a Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVTI, so had a abit of doubt using the treatment due to the variable valve timing technology.
So thought it may be better just buying premium oil with added properties such as zinc etc to prevent wear.

I googled ZX1 which you mentioned. What’s the main benefit over other oil treatments? I can see it contains no particulates. So maybe a safer option?
I’ll be honest, I do approx 10 to 12k miles a year. I change my oil once a year out of laziness lol. Even though I know I should ever 6k.
Do you recommend any specific 5w30 oil if I’m changing oil late?
Concider Slick 50 as it lasts longer.
As long as you use a premium oil and replace every 12 months / 12000 miles (BMW recommendation for my car ) there will be little if any advantage in an additive or changing the oil / filter any more often .
landros110/10/2019 19:19

Concider Slick 50 as it lasts longer.

Do not use Slick 50
This is NOTHING like the original stuff....Google and Youtube it you will see that I am correct
Bazzer5510/10/2019 20:04

Do not use Slick 50 This is NOTHING like the original stuff....Google and …Do not use Slick 50 This is NOTHING like the original stuff....Google and Youtube it you will see that I am correct

Thanks,
I have owned the same car for 10 years only do low milage.
It was claimed to last 50,000 miles!
TopTrump10/10/2019 18:57

Agreed. Before using any oil treatment, do your research as if not …Agreed. Before using any oil treatment, do your research as if not suitable for your engine, it could do more harm than good.Most mechanics just say avoid treatments and change your oil twice as regularly as advised by the owners manual.

Mechanics/garages would say that eh!
expandingmaan10/10/2019 19:10

I drive a Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVTI, so had a abit of doubt using the …I drive a Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVTI, so had a abit of doubt using the treatment due to the variable valve timing technology. So thought it may be better just buying premium oil with added properties such as zinc etc to prevent wear. I googled ZX1 which you mentioned. What’s the main benefit over other oil treatments? I can see it contains no particulates. So maybe a safer option?

ZX1 claims to offer increased wear resistance on things like the cams and the crankshaft bearings.
Bear in mind this was me using this stuff how many years back, after just having bought a brand new car I wanted to keep pristine.
When I added it I could have sworn it offered a smoother running engine, but that's part of the placebo effect.
I added it to the gearbox oil to try and improve gear shifts, again, placebo or reality, because I knew I'd added it I was convinced it was better.

What leads to engine problems is urban driving, especially in today's (lower emission) direct petrol injection engines.
Urban short trip driving means the engine never really reaches full temp, so oil never really reaches full temp plus cold engine runs using a richer fuel/air mixture. Unburnt fuel leads to carbon build ups on the valves, leading to potential misfiring problems.

Back when injectors fired into each cylinder's inlet, the petrol had a washing effect on the valves.

Look up the "Italian tune up method".
Quarter to half tank of premium unleaded, drive bringing car fully up to temp, then driving it hard at all sorts of different engine speeds, to clear out that carbon build up.
Once you've gone for a good solid motorway drive go directly to garage for an oil and filter change whilst everything is still warm. Don't be tempted to use synthetic if manufacturer recommends semi-synthetic, there are oil properties semi synthetic has that the engine might be relying upon. Use quality oil and she'll be purring like a kitten.

Might want to consider swapping air filter with washable reusable air filter that tends to provide better air flow so engine can breathe.

As for ZX1, would I use it again on brand new car? Probably not. Nothing went wrong with the car, but I was mainly driving to/from work on motorway so car always ran nicely given the distance and speed I drove at.

Stay away from anything that claims to introduce PTFE into your oil system.
Edited by: "TopTrump" 10th Oct
I change oil when it's start of winter and again in spring time. Just learn what your engines tappets sound like, on mornings you usually hear them when you first start engine before they come up to pressure.

If you still hear them after a few minutes of driving your oil has broken down or oil level is too low.
TopTrump10/10/2019 21:14

ZX1 claims to offer increased wear resistance on things like the cams and …ZX1 claims to offer increased wear resistance on things like the cams and the crankshaft bearings.Bear in mind this was me using this stuff how many years back, after just having bought a brand new car I wanted to keep pristine.When I added it I could have sworn it offered a smoother running engine, but that's part of the placebo effect.I added it to the gearbox oil to try and improve gear shifts, again, placebo or reality, because I knew I'd added it I was convinced it was better.What leads to engine problems is urban driving, especially in today's (lower emission) direct petrol injection engines.Urban short trip driving means the engine never really reaches full temp, so oil never really reaches full temp plus cold engine runs using a richer fuel/air mixture. Unburnt fuel leads to carbon build ups on the valves, leading to potential misfiring problems.Back when injectors fired into each cylinder's inlet, the petrol had a washing effect on the valves.Look up the "Italian tune up method".Quarter to half tank of premium unleaded, drive bringing car fully up to temp, then driving it hard at all sorts of different engine speeds, to clear out that carbon build up.Once you've gone for a good solid motorway drive go directly to garage for an oil and filter change whilst everything is still warm. Don't be tempted to use synthetic if manufacturer recommends semi-synthetic, there are oil properties semi synthetic has that the engine might be relying upon. Use quality oil and she'll be purring like a kitten.Might want to consider swapping air filter with washable reusable air filter that tends to provide better air flow so engine can breathe.As for ZX1, would I use it again on brand new car? Probably not. Nothing went wrong with the car, but I was mainly driving to/from work on motorway so car always ran nicely given the distance and speed I drove at.Stay away from anything that claims to introduce PTFE into your oil system.

I’ve done some reading on ZX1. And I’m convinced.
How do you apply it? Just add the correct amount to the engine? No need to drain the oil etc?
I think I may even put some in the gearbox!(manual). As my first gearbox failed.
expandingmaan11/10/2019 08:48

I’ve done some reading on ZX1. And I’m convinced. How do you apply it? Jus …I’ve done some reading on ZX1. And I’m convinced. How do you apply it? Just add the correct amount to the engine? No need to drain the oil etc?I think I may even put some in the gearbox!(manual). As my first gearbox failed.

Just a final attempt to make you want to consider what you're doing.
youtube.com/wat…sYU

----
- Is the car run in? If it isn't, then I suggest adding this stuff after you've done 1500 miles so that the engine's components can marry nicely together. (the spiel about this stuff was that it was developed for the oil industry so that the drilling bits didn't wear out prematurely)

- Is the car under warranty? You might want to check what adding this stuff does to your warranty.
----

If you're going ahead, there's no need to drain the oil, just add the suggested quantity.
If it's old oil, you might want to ensure you add ZX1 after you've done a change to prevent you prematurely throwing away that ZX1 you've added come oil change time.

How much to add and to what, all listed here:
team-zx1.com/ext…tml

Gearbox oil - same deal. If you're going to do a change, drain it all out and add your ZX1 enhanced gear oil.

I've read about some mechanics dipping each part during an engine rebuild process. They warm up the part and dip it into just ZX1. Leave it until it cools then wipe off excess and use in their engine assembly. But that's not something the average joe can or will do.

You've got to ask yourself, is it or not in the interest of the establishments to have oils with this stuff's chemistry incorporated into their oil blends? Do car manufacturers want your engine to last as long as possible?
Why wouldn't they add this stuff into their oil if it leads to better MPG?

HYBRID OILS
*Caution.* We are currently looking at the makeup of the new Hybrid Oils. Until we have further data available we do not advise treating Hybrid Engines and Hybrid Oils with ZX1. However, we are aware these engines have been treated in the past without any issues*
Edited by: "TopTrump" 11th Oct
TopTrump11/10/2019 10:59

Just a final attempt to make you want to consider what you're …Just a final attempt to make you want to consider what you're doing.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdzbRMy0sYU----- Is the car run in? If it isn't, then I suggest adding this stuff after you've done 1500 miles so that the engine's components can marry nicely together. (the spiel about this stuff was that it was developed for the oil industry so that the drilling bits didn't wear out prematurely)- Is the car under warranty? You might want to check what adding this stuff does to your warranty.----If you're going ahead, there's no need to drain the oil, just add the suggested quantity.If it's old oil, you might want to ensure you add ZX1 after you've done a change to prevent you prematurely throwing away that ZX1 you've added come oil change time.How much to add and to what, all listed here:http://www.team-zx1.com/extralube-zx1-micro-oil-metal-treatment.htmlGearbox oil - same deal. If you're going to do a change, drain it all out and add your ZX1 enhanced gear oil.I've read about some mechanics dipping each part during an engine rebuild process. They warm up the part and dip it into just ZX1. Leave it until it cools then wipe off excess and use in their engine assembly. But that's not something the average joe can or will do.You've got to ask yourself, is it or not in the interest of the establishments to have oils with this stuff's chemistry incorporated into their oil blends? Do car manufacturers want your engine to last as long as possible?Why wouldn't they add this stuff into their oil if it leads to better MPG?HYBRID OILS*Caution.* We are currently looking at the makeup of the new Hybrid Oils. Until we have further data available we do not advise treating Hybrid Engines and Hybrid Oils with ZX1. However, we are aware these engines have been treated in the past without any issues*

Many thanks for your in depth knowledge.
Last question (hope so)....
After applying ZX1, do I have to apply it on every oil change. Or do I just apply it once? And apply after many years?
Edited by: "expandingmaan" 11th Oct
expandingmaan11/10/2019 11:24

Many thanks for your in depth knowledge. Last question (hope so)....After …Many thanks for your in depth knowledge. Last question (hope so)....After applying ZX1, do I have to apply it on every oil change. Or do I just apply it once? And apply after many years?

The ZX1 that's already bonded to the metal surfaces within your engine will remain until the claimed "up to 25,000 miles".

UP TO can mean anything.

If you want to be sure there's always some ZX1 in your engine, then add each time you do an oil change. I don't know how many miles you do a year, and what your beliefs are to changing schedule.
Spending a little more on oil changes at half the quoted recommended might to some seem a waste of money, others see it as a wise thing to do, following the prevention is better than cure belief system.
How much do 5 or so litres of oil cost you? £50?
Isn't it worth £50 to have peace of mind, especially after the cold season is over which is when engines take a battering, you want to get those metal particles and carbon carp out of the engine as soon as possible.

If you're doing twice yearly oil changes, replenishing ZX1 each time is going to add to the cost of oil.

Then there's the cost of labour. Are you going to do the oil changes or are you going to take it to a mechanic?

It's not difficult to do, so you don't need a mechanic, but it's the having access to the ramp to do the work. I know there are places in the UK where you can book a garage ramp by the hour, sort of like a We-Work approach, where you do what you need and they get rid of the crud and you drive away saving mechanics fees.

I don't know. I guess key question is how many miles you're going to be doing and what type of mileage? Urban or motorway?
£12 for 100ml from eBay here.
£17.50 for 250ml here

Prices seem to be around the £22 mark from more "legit" sources.
Amazon doing a twin pack of 250ml for £38 here
Or 1 litre bottle from £58 here

You might want to also think about greasing up your CV joints with their ZX1 enhanced grease, talk of it reducing rolling resistance.
Perhaps steering racks (I know some older Alfas chew up steering racks).
Easy in theory and only if you've got the tools and space to do the work.
TopTrump11/10/2019 12:46

£12 for 100ml from eBay here.£17.50 for 250ml herePrices seem to be around …£12 for 100ml from eBay here.£17.50 for 250ml herePrices seem to be around the £22 from more "legit" sources.Amazon doing a twin pack of 250ml for £38 hereOr 1 litre bottle from £58 hereYou might want to also think about greasing up your CV joints with their ZX1 enhanced grease, talk of it reducing rolling resistance.Perhaps steering racks (I know some older Alfas chew up steering racks). Easy in theory and only if you've got the tools and space to do the work.

Many thanks. I may order some, or pick some up from Halfords to speed things up.

I drive an avensis 2005 1.8 petrol. With nearly 100k on the clock. I do mixed motorway and city.
I service my own car and do basic repairs myself. I change my oil once a year before the winter gets in. (I don’t enjoy working on the car in winter). I drive approx 9 to 12k a year.
Hence I wanted an oil treatment for piece of mind, as when I’m on the motorway, the rev meter sits between 3 to 4K revs, having only 5 gears. Which feels abit high for me.
I think the ZX1 is the perfect suggestion. I thank you for suggesting it and look forward to using it.

Do you recommend any particular grease for brake shims? I find when I apply copper grease, it disappears! Lol
expandingmaan11/10/2019 13:11

Many thanks. I may order some, or pick some up from Halfords to speed …Many thanks. I may order some, or pick some up from Halfords to speed things up. I drive an avensis 2005 1.8 petrol. With nearly 100k on the clock. I do mixed motorway and city. I service my own car and do basic repairs myself. I change my oil once a year before the winter gets in. (I don’t enjoy working on the car in winter). I drive approx 9 to 12k a year. Hence I wanted an oil treatment for piece of mind, as when I’m on the motorway, the rev meter sits between 3 to 4K revs, having only 5 gears. Which feels abit high for me. I think the ZX1 is the perfect suggestion. I thank you for suggesting it and look forward to using it. Do you recommend any particular grease for brake shims? I find when I apply copper grease, it disappears! Lol

Pass, sorry. I'm all about going, not stopping.I guess it wouldn't hurt to add a little ZX1 to the shims, but if they're noisy, it could indicate other problems.

Read this about copper grease --> here
I used Wynns when I had old Sierra's. The only issue I had was it cleaned the engine too much and the oil sensor started to leak.
expandingmaan11/10/2019 13:11

Many thanks. I may order some, or pick some up from Halfords to speed …Many thanks. I may order some, or pick some up from Halfords to speed things up. I drive an avensis 2005 1.8 petrol. With nearly 100k on the clock. I do mixed motorway and city. I service my own car and do basic repairs myself. I change my oil once a year before the winter gets in. (I don’t enjoy working on the car in winter). I drive approx 9 to 12k a year. Hence I wanted an oil treatment for piece of mind, as when I’m on the motorway, the rev meter sits between 3 to 4K revs, having only 5 gears. Which feels abit high for me. I think the ZX1 is the perfect suggestion. I thank you for suggesting it and look forward to using it. Do you recommend any particular grease for brake shims? I find when I apply copper grease, it disappears! Lol

How did you get on with the ZX1?
Hi mate

Put some in the gearbox and engine. Few weeks later my Gearbix started crunching lol. Don’t know if it was due to the ZX1.

Other than that, the gearbox did initially feel smoother.
The engine wasn’t too loud to begin with, so was hard to notice a difference
expandingmaan05/11/2019 18:27

Hi matePut some in the gearbox and engine. Few weeks later my Gearbix …Hi matePut some in the gearbox and engine. Few weeks later my Gearbix started crunching lol. Don’t know if it was due to the ZX1. Other than that, the gearbox did initially feel smoother. The engine wasn’t too loud to begin with, so was hard to notice a difference

So is the gearbox now bggred?
Hubby had two cars that have done 1/3rd million miles. - each.

They were both fed with good oils and no additives, if you want to do more than 1/3 of a million maybe you need to think about additives.
TopTrump05/11/2019 21:36

So is the gearbox now bggred?

Going to drive it as it is. Will try get maximum life out of out aha.
joyf453605/11/2019 21:53

Hubby had two cars that have done 1/3rd million miles. - each.They were …Hubby had two cars that have done 1/3rd million miles. - each.They were both fed with good oils and no additives, if you want to do more than 1/3 of a million maybe you need to think about additives.

May I ask which car?
expandingmaan05/11/2019 21:55

May I ask which car?

Probably a Volkswagen. After being driven a third of a million miles, the cars are sitting in the Old Volks home
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants