Groups

Motorbike m1 test

can anyone whos done this tell me how much it costs as i was esxpecting it be no more than 200 (cbt 95)
    so anyone he insisted i would need 5 days at £700
    is it really that hard or is he trying to rip me off?

9 Comments

Think i paid about £500 for mine, 5 days with a guaranteed pass at the end.
    That was about 12 years ago, so £700 nowadays sounds about right.

the test itself isn't too bad

I phoned around a few places last year and they said it would be around £700 (and they said 5 days tuition) but no guaranteed pass. No way I can afford that so am getting lots of practice in on my CBT until I have more pennies.

It's 5 days due to vehicle maintenance and a whole day of learning about riding pillion etc I believe....

Original Poster

zannaz82

It's 5 days due to vehicle maintenance and a whole day of learning about … It's 5 days due to vehicle maintenance and a whole day of learning about riding pillion etc I believe....

Thanks intresting,couldnt believe how pricy it was though compared to a cbt
    not sure if i can afford it,then the bike i want £1,600 then insurance £500+£700 test
    may as well pay scilly money for car insurance if im going to blow £2,800 quid

whats an m1 test? google pops up this thread only lol

Original Poster

jackvdbuk

whats an m1 test? google pops up this thread only lol

it is first part of a full bike license,
    can be taken from 17 and allows you to ride anything under 33bph or with resteicted license
    dont have to display L plates and can go on motorway
    try typing in dsa module 1 and stuff will pop up

JACKIT99

Thanks intresting,couldnt believe how pricy it was though compared to a … Thanks intresting,couldnt believe how pricy it was though compared to a cbtnot sure if i can afford it,then the bike i want £1,600 then insurance £500+£700 testmay as well pay scilly money for car insurance if im going to blow £2,800 quid

Exactly the same thought process went through my mind. I got a nice learner bike (YBR125) and it makes sure I get my practice in, so when I have the cash to buy a bigger bike and pay for test etc it should be easy peasy.

Sorry to jump on your thread, but you seem to have some knowledge on this.

I am hoping to get so e lessons for the hubby for his birthday. He already has a full uk car licence, held for 20 years, we are now thinking a bike may be more ideal for work, so where do i start?

Do I just get lessons and then a test after that like learning to drive a car?

He would be looking at driving a small basic bike at first I think

Thing is i've been riding for 2 years on cbt plate on a honda cbf 125 - paid £700 for the 5 days training and test - was on a very heavy er500 - first few days went great - then the test day came - had to ride from sutton to farnborough - did the mod 1 - put my foot down on the figure 8 -FAILED

Couldn't sit mod 1 again for 3 days - so i lost the mod 2 money - had to ride back and that was it £700 down the drain

Nothing to show for it - rang them up to rebook it just with the mod 1 - £15 for the test and £100 to hire the bike for the day - or £190 with mod 2 plus £10 insurance waiver - so looking at another £200 jsut to sit the test

Didnt bother was planning on taking a restricted test but didnt fancy riding down to farnborough on the a3 at 70mph on a little 125 - So I sold my bike and wont be riding for the distant future

That test ruined my biking experience and just for a stupid figure of 8 - If I was you I would hold off until the new bike test format comes in which is supposed to scrap the mod 1 and just do on road assessment which is realistic rather than a closed off tennis court with cones

Reason why the mod 1 is stupid imo is - as an ex biker i never did a U turn once mainly because its quite dangerous - figure of 8 - when would you ever do that
    Slow control I can understand but Ive never stalled in traffic and if i put my foot down its merely to stop an accident happening and me going under a car so dont see how doing that is considered a fail as its slow control , its not like you going 30mph and put your foot down

visordown.com/mot…tml

Just hope they scrap mod 1 completely and stick the slow control stuff as minors on the main test - yes its only £15 but not if you dont live near to the ever disappearing test centres

Yeah you could argue I'm not good enough for the road to ride a bigger bike but considering I was riding 2 years before and then 4 days on a big bike and didnt crash I obviously can - Better to put your foot down than drop the bike right ??!
    Edited by: "dandoc2" 2nd Apr 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764549
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …236754
      3. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?963021
      4. Your dream gaming set up?2245

See more discussions