Motorcycle accident claim process?

27 replies
Found 26th Dec 2016
Hey

So, someone drove into me on my bike. I was driving up a lane in a carpark and someone drove through 2 empty spaces to my left (I thought they were actually parking but they continued and drove straight into me). The driver said he didn't see me.

Anyway, whatever with all that. I have told the insurance company everything my end inc the other parties contact info and they said the claims team will call me soon.

Anyway, I am just wondering about the general process. How long am I likely to wait before I get back on the road? How much is my insurance likely to go up? Do I lose my no claims? Should I call the person that hit me and let them know I have rang up? Will it be something like 'go get the work done and invoice the insurance company'?

Sorry for bombarding with questions I just wanted some up to date information is all. I hope everyone had a great christmas!

27 Comments

What insurance cover do you have. If its fully comp then the insurance should give you a hire bike until repairs are done and they should also sort the repairs out.
If its TFF then you may need to get 2 quotes for bike repairs, you can hire a bike until repairs are done and charge the 3rd party so keep all receipts.
Depending on what you are claiming for, ie injuries, it can go on for a year or more but if its straight forward with the 3rd party admitting liability a few months.

Depends on the insurance companies.
Yes.
Normally without our have protection.
Up to you.
Totally depends on insurance companies and how much information is available. If there was CCTV in the car park and another witness it could be pretty open and close.

The answers to all your question rely entirely on your insurer; you shouldnt lose your NCB though, unless it turns out the car driver isnt insured and they cannot recover the costs from him/her; you may see an increase in next years premium though.
Some policies dont cover your NCB if they cannot recover costs from the other person, even if you have NCB protection.

It shouldnt affect your no claims as long as 3rd party accept liability but your insurance will still increase on renewal.
I wouldnt bother calling the 3rd party , let your insurance company deal with it all. I just hope the 3rd party is insured.

You will be on the road again fairly quick,if he drove through spaces and hit you,then thats his fault,your insurance will not go up,his will

Jimbojrt76

You will be on the road again fairly quick,if he drove through spaces and … You will be on the road again fairly quick,if he drove through spaces and hit you,then thats his fault,your insurance will not go up,his will

Sorry but that is incorrect. Your insurance premium will also increase even if its not your fault. Thats why they ask the question of accidents in the past 5 years regardless of fault.Its a bitch that the innocent should suffer but thats also how the insurance companies get some of their money back.

Original Poster

thanks for the info everyone, I only use the bike for leisure and it's cold at the moment anyway so I won't bother with hiring a bike. I'm third party only so one won't be supplied but it's not an issue.And no one was injured that I know of, my knee hurts from where the bike landed on it but not going to try and claim anything for it, I let the insurance know anyway just to have everything covered.

Hopefully it is open and shut as you say, the family that hit me seemed very genuine and weren't trying to play it off as my fault or anything at the scene.I wish I had been thinking better at the time and took pictures though, I'm fairly certain there is CCTV there though.

rhinopaul

Sorry but that is incorrect. Your insurance premium will also increase … Sorry but that is incorrect. Your insurance premium will also increase even if its not your fault. Thats why they ask the question of accidents in the past 5 years regardless of fault.Its a bitch that the innocent should suffer but thats also how the insurance companies get some of their money back.

I agree, it's more likely that your insurance premium will increase at renewal even though you were not at fault. The question they ask is "have you made any claims irrespective of fault over the last 3 or 5 years?" This is because you have made a claim on the insurance. The most important thing is everyone is ok.
Edited by: "natah" 26th Dec 2016

You state that like its gospel but it's completely untrue as it will depend on the insurer. I made a claim one year little old lady drove straight thru give way marking at 30mph straight into my sides. 1st thing she said was I didn't see you (4m long bright red mondeo Estate ffs) then why didn't you see me (I did but you were supposed to stop ffs)

Anyway Saga sent me a cheque immediately for £1800 & left me the car. My insurance premiums went DOWN the following year (increase in NCD) I always declare it as a no fault accident when shopping but I've never seen it adversely affect the price, not once!

rhinopaul

Sorry but that is incorrect. Your insurance premium will also increase … Sorry but that is incorrect. Your insurance premium will also increase even if its not your fault. Thats why they ask the question of accidents in the past 5 years regardless of fault.Its a bitch that the innocent should suffer but thats also how the insurance companies get some of their money back.

rhinopaul

​totally agree and I'm also subject to this. it's called a none fault incident.. or even a none claim accident.. It raised my premium by about £30 per year.. I didn't claim on my insurance..

Insurance is a limb of the banking sector. So as long as you claim within this system, both parties will lose financially, The insurance companies will profit both ways. If you settled amicably outside of the insurance system those institutes cannot charge you for their services (in my opinion a total rip off as the consumer will be worse off fault or non fault!).
Just get on with your life and realise insurance is there to take money off hardworking people and will never compensate you fully, unless you can afford a really good lawyer. Take the HIT cause life is *hit.
Wake up and smell the roses matey.

Did you take legal cover with the insurance. Its about £25 a year but always worth it. Saves you having to do everything and they know what you are entitled to otherwise your own insurance company wont be involved at 3rd party level . The 3rd party insurer will send an estimator to look at your bike and evaluate the damage as to whether its worth repairing or writing off. You really want it repaired because they wont give you any where near its resale value if written off. They will also ask to see MOT and road tax.
Check your helmet for damage as that is claimable as a crash helmet should ALWAYS be replaced after an accident.
Keep an eye on your knee, it can take a few days for injuries to realise themselves.
Hope it all goes speedily and gets sorted, its never nice no matter who's to blame.
Maybe invest in a helmet camera. I use a TomTom Bandit.

Original Poster

I mean one good thing I suppose is that I only renewed my insurance for 12 months less than a month ago so I have a while to enjoy my non-inflated prices and with bike insurance being so cheap I can't really imagine it going up astronomically, but I guess time will tell.

Original Poster

rhinopaul

Did you take legal cover with the insurance. Its about £25 a year but … Did you take legal cover with the insurance. Its about £25 a year but always worth it. Saves you having to do everything and they know what you are entitled to otherwise your own insurance company wont be involved at 3rd party level . The 3rd party insurer will send an estimator to look at your bike and evaluate the damage as to whether its worth repairing or writing off. You really want it repaired because they wont give you any where near its resale value if written off. They will also ask to see MOT and road tax.Check your helmet for damage as that is claimable as a crash helmet should ALWAYS be replaced after an accident.Keep an eye on your knee, it can take a few days for injuries to realise themselves.Hope it all goes speedily and gets sorted, its never nice no matter who's to blame.Maybe invest in a helmet camera. I use a TomTom Bandit.

ah I didn't take the legal cover out sadly, I suppose I will do that before I get back on the road! I don't have helmet/leather protection either but is that covered anyway since I was not at fault?
I did intend to buy a camera actually, I bought one at one point but the quality was too bad so it ended up in the cupboard. Will look into that again

Hi mate go on to facebook and search for Harris & Green Solicitors they will be able to help you. They have got got some really great reviews. Get back to you really quick

Rich44

You state that like its gospel but it's completely untrue as it will … You state that like its gospel but it's completely untrue as it will depend on the insurer. I made a claim one year little old lady drove straight thru give way marking at 30mph straight into my sides. 1st thing she said was I didn't see you (4m long bright red mondeo Estate ffs) then why didn't you see me (I did but you were supposed to stop ffs) Anyway Saga sent me a cheque immediately for £1800 & left me the car. My insurance premiums went DOWN the following year (increase in NCD) I always declare it as a no fault accident when shopping but I've never seen it adversely affect the price, not once!

You say you had an increase in NCB, therefore your premium would still decrease but that doesnt mean to say it didnt already add a premium because of the accident. You may have had even cheaper insurance if it wasnt for the non fault accident.

murtgurge

ah I didn't take the legal cover out sadly, I suppose I will do that … ah I didn't take the legal cover out sadly, I suppose I will do that before I get back on the road! I don't have helmet/leather protection either but is that covered anyway since I was not at fault?I did intend to buy a camera actually, I bought one at one point but the quality was too bad so it ended up in the cupboard. Will look into that again

You can most definitely claim for any damaged clothing and especially crash helmet from the 3rd party, proof of purchase or replacement like for like cost will be needed.

Request a copy of any cctv footage now as an extra insurance policy. Most companies overwrite their files after a set time so if you need it later you may be unlucky.

zabirbostan

Hi mate go on to facebook and search for Harris & Green Solicitors they … Hi mate go on to facebook and search for Harris & Green Solicitors they will be able to help you. They have got got some really great reviews. Get back to you really quick

Why does he need an ambulance chasing solicitors, just to complicate things

Also report it to the police within 24 hours.

dwain

Also report it to the police within 24 hours.

Why?
If he has all the 3rd party info and it is legit there is no need . If he does then they will also ask to see his own insurance, mot and tax. Its just an unnecessary hassle and time that neither he nor the police need.

Original Poster

paul123edwards

Request a copy of any cctv footage now as an extra insurance policy. Most … Request a copy of any cctv footage now as an extra insurance policy. Most companies overwrite their files after a set time so if you need it later you may be unlucky.

thx for this info, I will pop to the area tomorrow and see if I can find out who to contact about that. There is a lot of shops in the area so I assume one of them will have info I need

Original Poster

Guy phoned me today and said he accepts full responsibility and said he doesn't mind if I want to go through insurance or get a repair quote and let him know. He said he has already told his insurance company though, and I have already told mine. I think I will get a quote from the local bike dealership and repair shop and see what works out best for him. The bike is cheap so scratches I can live with, not going to make him pay for overpriced fairings - but handlebars will need replacing, looks like the wheel might since he drove over it, and the forks feel a bit soft but I think that might be in my head. I will just let the dealership know what happened and let them figure out with damage so they don't try and put new forks on just because I have mentioned it.

Also probably won't repair at the dealership since everything is expensive, learnt my lesson before with them! but I figured they may look harder to spot issues which I can then either do myself or take to another repair shop.

Thanks again for all the info guys.

Does the dealership do MOT's because if they miss something you might find it fails an mot later on, ie bent forks etc.

The other option you also have is that you can accept payment from the 3rd party insurance instead of repairs but you would need to ask them this. They will usually deduct a % for doing this, cant remember off hand what but probably about 25% so if the repairs would cost £2000 then they could pay you instead £1500, thats way you can get things done later or just choose to live with certain damage and keep the money.

Original Poster

rhinopaul

Does the dealership do MOT's because if they miss something you might … Does the dealership do MOT's because if they miss something you might find it fails an mot later on, ie bent forks etc.The other option you also have is that you can accept payment from the 3rd party insurance instead of repairs but you would need to ask them this. They will usually deduct a % for doing this, cant remember off hand what but probably about 25% so if the repairs would cost £2000 then they could pay you instead £1500, thats way you can get things done later or just choose to live with certain damage and keep the money.

yeh they do do MOTs, hopefully they don't miss anything though. The forks seem ok from a non-professional perspective, my last bike did have bent forks and I replaced them myself before MOT was due, hopefully they take a good look at it though

only thing I am concerned about is does it cost to get such a quote? they aren't open today so I couldn't ask. I'm hoping since they stand to gain money from work being done the quote would be free but have never been through this before.

I rang my insurance back and told them the guy had offered to settle in cash which I am happy with but obviously need to look and agree on quotes first and they just took down my name and number and said a claims handler will call me back soon.

Bike is a honda and it took a fair hit I think and it looks to have taken it really well I'm surprised, my last bike was a yamaha and it blew over in the wind and took a lot of damage aha.

Generally quotes are free but things change as garages also know these days that people although getting a quote wont take out the work so they might say the quote fee is refundable upon work carried out.
You might find that once the 3rd party hears how expensive your repairs are he will say to go through the insurance anyway.
Insurance companies will usually want 2 quotes and a lot of them these days will tell you where to take the vehicle to get an estimate.

First thing is to see if its free, if it is then you have nothing to lose but if there is a fee then wait to hear from the insurance company first.

Original Poster

rhinopaul

Generally quotes are free but things change as garages also know these … Generally quotes are free but things change as garages also know these days that people although getting a quote wont take out the work so they might say the quote fee is refundable upon work carried out.You might find that once the 3rd party hears how expensive your repairs are he will say to go through the insurance anyway.Insurance companies will usually want 2 quotes and a lot of them these days will tell you where to take the vehicle to get an estimate.First thing is to see if its free, if it is then you have nothing to lose but if there is a fee then wait to hear from the insurance company first.

makes sense, cheers for info
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244871
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322826
    3. Misco about to go into administration912
    4. Add one, leave one game54315392

See more discussions