motorcycle/scooter write off advice urgently needed

Found 12th Oct 2012
i sold my 100cc scooter last week and today the buyer said hes returning it because he has done a motor vehicle data check and it states the bike as a write off and that its only use is for spares and parts
all i can say i was gobsmacked as i was totally unaware there was a problem.i purchased is three years ago and it looked in great nick and rode well so purchased it privately.
im suprised as i easily managed to get it mot and insured when "apparently" the DVLA have my reg and VIN as "break for spares only" according to this bit of paper the buyer gave me..
im realy confused as i realy dont think the bike is a write off but this bit of paper the buyer gave me says it is a write off (motorcycle data check).... it came from this site ...secure.e-series.uk.experian.com/e-s…ies
does it seem like a scam or anyone experienced a scenario like this
Community Updates
17 Comments
Original Poster
frame VIN number matches my log book
It is a private sale, no legal requirement to pay anything back. They viewed the scooter before they bought and they should/could/ would have to check prior to sale. How could you get insurance if this was the case, no one would insure it?
Buyer should have had it checked before buying, you should have done the same.
I don't think you owe him anything legally, but maybe you might want to sort something out with him for moral reasons.
Banned
So his scooter is a write-off? Unlucky for him.
Original Poster
tonyd19565

It is a private sale, no legal requirement to pay anything back. They … It is a private sale, no legal requirement to pay anything back. They viewed the scooter before they bought and they should/could/ would have to check prior to sale. How could you get insurance if this was the case, no one would insure it?

i did the decent thing and refunded him fully .... but how come when i got it MOT nothing was noticed . i thought the DVLA would of had an automatic alert on this bike not to pass an mot.
as regards to insurance i simply isured it as normal and i was totally unaware of the major problem as the isurance data base is too by the look of it

Edited by: "cadmus" 12th Oct 2012
cadmus

i did the decent thing and refunded him fully .... but how come when i … i did the decent thing and refunded him fully .... but how come when i got it MOT nothing was noticed . i thought the DVLA would of had an automatic alert on this bike not to pass an mot. as regards to insurance i simply isured it as normal and i was totally unaware of the major problem as the isurance data base is too by the look of it

Usually these things only bite you in the **** when you go and claim, that is when the insurance company actually do their job and check, another reason why I hate insurance so much.

As said above, you need to check it all out, do an MOT history check on it online, then do a HPI check on it, checking the VIN numbers match. The HPI will tell you if it has been written off.
cadmus

frame VIN number matches my log book

Did the frame/vin number match the report you had from the buyer.
Big mistake refunding the buyer fully.

You were not obliged to

Was the buyers own stupid fault for not checking before hand.

Sounds a bit dodgy to me.
Original Poster
aircanman

Did the frame/vin number match the report you had from the buyer.

yes it did
dylanjb100

Big mistake refunding the buyer fully.You were not obliged toWas the … Big mistake refunding the buyer fully.You were not obliged toWas the buyers own stupid fault for not checking before hand.Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

I won't say it was a mistake, but the buyer could have been a nasty piece of work.
Original Poster
dylanjb100

Big mistake refunding the buyer fully.You were not obliged toWas the … Big mistake refunding the buyer fully.You were not obliged toWas the buyers own stupid fault for not checking before hand.Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

i felt morally obliged to refund him and i know alot would not of but thats me
Original Poster
the thing that puzzles me i how was i aloud to MOT , tax and insure it without any issues from dvla etc
Original Poster
whatsThePoint

did you check it before refunding, its likely you've just mugged yourself … did you check it before refunding, its likely you've just mugged yourself and its only a cat c/d if that

yes a gave it a spin round the block and it was silky smooth as before and sounded exactly the same . havnt mugged myself off i hope oO as this print out i have states !! warning !! category B total loss claim . break for spare parts
Edited by: "cadmus" 12th Oct 2012
Did he try insuring it?
Sorry but you have been scammed. They bought it and decided they did not like it, gave you a story and you fell for it. As a private seller you do not have the same restrictions as a business, If you are being honest it is a case of buyer beware. It is not up to you to hold their hands.
Dude do the checks and feedback!
Original Poster
whatsThePoint

i ment did you check it was an write off cat b yourself?a quick google … i ment did you check it was an write off cat b yourself?a quick google pointed out lots of mistake are made

no i havnt yet .... but will do

Edited by: "cadmus" 13th Oct 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions