Motorcyclists are you still using your bike in the cold weather?

Found 29th Nov 2017
I'm just wondering how many people still use their bikes in the cold weather. Does the possibility of ice stop you?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
I use to ride all weather, even snow. I use to ride into central London so main roads were generally ok.
32604599-sAPF6.jpg
Ride less but I get withdrawals if I don't get my fix in. Averaging about 60 miles a day.

Rain puts me off too, fell off twice in the rain. Slowly getting confidence back on it though, just got to keep at it.

If it's 0 degrees or early morning I won't.
I have ridden all weather before when I only had a bike and no car but the cold kills the enjoyment for me.
Not a good time to lose your gloves
used to ride my cb500s is snow and rain. never let me down. miss that bike
I'm still riding my gsx 750
Fab comments any tips for riding in icy conditions? Speed, going round islands etc?
Out this afternoon, a bit baltic, but the new gloves from the bike show last week worked well. Only trouble was the local council had liberally spread the roads with salt, so I had to spend an hour cleaning the damn bike when I got home, which was colder than the ride!
As for real winter riding, I used to despatch ride in London right through winter, including snow. Frankly, it was daft and an 'near off' was almost guaranteed every day. Basically, if it below zero, avoid. All you can do if you have to ride in slippery conditions is keep the speed right down, keep a big gap between you and the next vehicle, avoid harsh braking ( I favour the rear brake as you are unlikely to save the front end) and read the road surface for every hint of slipperiness. Heated gloves help!
Edited by: "airbus330" 29th Nov 2017
airbus3305 h, 33 m ago

Out this afternoon, a bit baltic, but the new gloves from the bike show …Out this afternoon, a bit baltic, but the new gloves from the bike show last week worked well. Only trouble was the local council had liberally spread the roads with salt, so I had to spend an hour cleaning the damn bike when I got home, which was colder than the ride!As for real winter riding, I used to despatch ride in London right through winter, including snow. Frankly, it was daft and an 'near off' was almost guaranteed every day. Basically, if it below zero, avoid. All you can do if you have to ride in slippery conditions is keep the speed right down, keep a big gap between you and the next vehicle, avoid harsh braking ( I favour the rear brake as you are unlikely to save the front end) and read the road surface for every hint of slipperiness. Heated gloves help!

I learnt my lesson the hard way

hotukdeals.com/dis…561

Any icy conditions (below 0) and it's a definite either 4 wheels or I'm staying in

Yes on busy well used roads it should be safe but those traffic lights (in the video) it's generally busy everyday.... except that day!

I would say... If it's frosty/freezing do you need to risk it?
Check everything works before you leave, I started my scooter in icy weather, pulled away opened the throttle and it froze open! Had to kill the engine with the key. Use a car now when it's icy.
I used to ride all year round, but nowadays I'm like my bikes; too old for that!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants