Motorola G5 notification light

Found 25th Mar 2017
Hi, I've got my new Motorola G5 but it doesn't seem to have a notification light. Does anyone who owns a Motorola know if this phone will have one, or whether Motorola don't have notification lights? Thank you

1. Ask
  2. Motorola
13 Comments

None of the Moto Gs as far as I'm aware have a notification light

I stand corrected, the original and 2nd gen did have a light but from the 3rd gen they made it so notifications light up on screen instead.

shame as the light is really useful. I figured they would have gone the other way and made it multicolour

Could you please clarify what you mean by the screen lighting up? I have one of the original Gs and the notification light is really useful as you mostly don't hear a text message sound notice when in a noisy environment like in a tractor.

I don't know why all phones don't have notification lights?? Seems to be a useful thing.

Twobarrels

Could you please clarify what you mean by the screen lighting up? I have … Could you please clarify what you mean by the screen lighting up? I have one of the original Gs and the notification light is really useful as you mostly don't hear a text message sound notice when in a noisy environment like in a tractor.

The screen lights up

Original Poster

I wish I'd known before I purchased. Unfortunately it's something I use. Thanks everyone for clarifying

benjammin316

The screen lights up

Yes, l managed to understand that the screen lights up! But does it stay on; blink; go off, or what? And how does it (or maybe not) serve as a reminder that you had/have a message some time back like the blinking notification light does?

Twobarrels

Yes, l managed to understand that the screen lights up! But does it stay … Yes, l managed to understand that the screen lights up! But does it stay on; blink; go off, or what? And how does it (or maybe not) serve as a reminder that you had/have a message some time back like the blinking notification light does?

It's dump

motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app…327

As much as I like my Moto G4 Plus, I think multicoloured light notifications are far better.

It wouldn't be as bad if the current notifications kept pulsing, but they don't.

Having said this, I see it as a small issue in a great phone.

On the other hand, some people would much prefer the current notification as they can peek the messages etc. and go straight into replying.

hottoast

As much as I like my Moto G4 Plus, I think multicoloured light … As much as I like my Moto G4 Plus, I think multicoloured light notifications are far better. It wouldn't be as bad if the current notifications kept pulsing, but they don't. Having said this, I see it as a small issue in a great phone. On the other hand, some people would much prefer the current notification as they can peek the messages etc. and go straight into replying.

So if you don't always have your phone with you, there's no way of telling whether you have messages/ emails etc. waiting for you without turning the screen on?

In a nutshell, you don't have to go into the phone on, just move /touch.

The notifications are visible in the lock screen.

It is described as "fade in and out" but it isn't... It will show notifications upon receipt, but if you don't see the notifications, and then don't touch your phone, you can't see that you have notifications.

However, when you do see the notifications, better than a light, you can see you what type of notifications, how many, and you can act on them without even going into your phone dependent on your settings.

So...not as immediately obvious as light notifications, but better information and better to action from.

In fairness light notifications are only useful if they are multi colour.

As a close, I think that for the money the G4 Plus is a brilliant phone.

I have today set up a new G5 for my mom, and it seems equally good, so I think it will be the one to beat in the price bracket.
Edited by: "hottoast" 26th Mar 2017

Does anyone know, definitively, if the G5 has a compass. Reviews seem to differ.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions