Groups

Motorpoint and spam letters

A neighbour bought a new car recently from Motorpoint. Today I received a letter from Motorpoint with my address and 'Neighbour' as addressee.

They told me that one of my neighbours just bought a car from them (and stated car brand, model and its colour) and invited me to follow his example.

I understand that they need to sell their cars, but is it OK for them to send letters like that? Honestly, it is none of my business to know what car was bought by neighbours and where. No private information (names, car registration or address) was disclosed though.

5 Comments

Clever marketing

Not sure if they have breached any rules as this would depend on whether your neighbour opted in or out of marketing.

The details are hardly personal as well as you will be able to plainly see the brand model, make and colour simply by looking on his drive
    Might be different if they told you how much they paid for it and whether it was cash or credit:roll:

Original Poster

No they didn't gave any truly personal info I knew exactly what he bought, how much he paid and where it came from (he told me when we had a chat the other day), but still I feel a bit uneasy about this letter.
    I pretty sure I am not going to buy a car from them.

Maybe he's on a referral bonus and gave them your address ? :whistling:

stora

Its a marketing ploy.

Quite clever really - unless you live at the last house on the road :-D

I bet the neighbour the other side got a letter as well (if there is a neighbour the other side)

There is lots of Postcode software available nowadays to companies who want to use it for marketing purposes. So long as your neighbour ticked the box ( or ticked it to opt out) then I dont think they have done anything wrong. And if they had done something wrong I believe only the neighbour could make a complaint.

Original Poster

]stora

Nah, don't think so I've got no money for new car right now.

]pluves1

And if they had done something wrong I believe only the neighbour could … And if they had done something wrong I believe only the neighbour could make a complaint.

Well.. I spoke to him about it and he wasn't happy to see the letter at all. Not sure is he's going to complain but I won't be surprised if he did.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …12
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047124
      3. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2461
      4. Online order Packaging - Share your best or worst1931

See more discussions