Mountain Bike Upgrade or New

Posted 14th Jul
I’m looking to improve my biking experience over the next few months. Have a 17 year old Gary Fisher Tassajara that I’ve slowly tweaked over the years. Things like added XT Shifter/Brake combo levers, XT rear mech and XT V-Brakes.

My front shock is pretty much shot and at least needs rebuilt or replaced. Rock Shox Pilot XC, never been serviced.

Now the kids are cycling and I’m not an adrenaline junky. I don’t feel I need a full suspension. Though I’m looking to move to a simpler 1xX drive train and better front fork.

If I was to just move to a new bike, £600-£100 potentially. Have drive trains improved in the last 15 years where Deore is comparable to older XT kit and Discs vastly better than a decent V-Brake?
If so any recommendations on a decent Hardtail that will be fine for light off roading and fine for family strolls.

A new improved fork and 1xX drive train is going to skin me minimum £400. While my frame isn’t amazing it does the job.

Sorry for the ramble. I seem to be too set on component specs and can’t see the whole picture.
Community Updates
Misc
6 Comments
Supply of new Bikes is limited at present because everyone wants one. Disc brakes streets ahead of v brakes not least because they 100% work in the wet. Mechanical discs simpler and cheaper to buy and service. Try a cyclocross bike such as Trek Crossrip. Cross between road and MTB. When my roadified MTB got nicked I bought one and it's great. Three hand positions instead of one. Lighter. Faster. More versatile. You're welcome!
StudentGrant14/07/2020 11:07

Supply of new Bikes is limited at present because everyone wants one. Disc …Supply of new Bikes is limited at present because everyone wants one. Disc brakes streets ahead of v brakes not least because they 100% work in the wet. Mechanical discs simpler and cheaper to buy and service. Try a cyclocross bike such as Trek Crossrip. Cross between road and MTB. When my roadified MTB got nicked I bought one and it's great. Three hand positions instead of one. Lighter. Faster. More versatile. You're welcome!

Thanks, had that feeling about the brakes. Mechanical or hydraulic doesn’t phase me.

Thanks fo the tip on the Trek but need some suspension. The routes round here need it. Even though they are paved. Plus would need more durable wheels.
I looked into disk brakes a year or two ago and the conclusion of the testing I saw was that the primarily advantage was that they gave you better control, so that you could hit the point of maximum braking more reliably (just before the wheels locked up).

At a cost of requiring setup to tighter tolerances and more maintenance.

At that point hydraulic seemed to be preferable - cable ones had a reputation for not quite working well enough (rubbing etc.)
Disc brakes are infinitely better than VBrakes, they work no matter what, even if the disc is covered in mud, it will stop. Go as high as you can though, I had 2pot Shimano M315 hydraulic disc brakes on my bike when I bough it and they were crap. Not sure if it was the 29” wheel but I had to ram them on to stop downhill and they gave no confidence. Luckily I managed to have them swapped out due to an advertising error, they put me some 4pot Deore brakes on and wow, what a difference. I can literally lock the wheels with one finger if needed which is a godsend on red routes!

I was unsure with the 1x11 gearing, coming from a 3x9 setup. Again, it’s a amazing, no thinking of which combination to use and worrying about crossing the chain, if it’s too easy, drop it one, if it’s too hard, knock it up one, so much easier. It’s also easier to maintain. The only downside is the top end speed, my Strava times show that there has been a drop in the road sections as you spin out too soon, but it’s a small downside.

My bike is the Voodoo Bizango btw, I’d wholly recommend it, its so much fun and feels great to ride. I managed to get mine for about £380 due to a ridiculous discount stacking error, they also did the free brake upgrade which was about £200 so I was chuffed. I would have been happy to pay the £550 asking price at the time though, it’s worth it! All I’ve done is change to tubeless as the inner tubes are durex thin and I kept getting punctures. A year in, I’ve had no flats, so I’d say that was £40well spent.
I do like the look of the Carbon Bizango. Will need to see if I can find any in stock to look at in person(lol) .
Looks like going disc is the way forward. My wife’s bike has generic Clark V-brakes while mine with the XT levers and V-Brakes, there is a noticeable difference. Sounds like Disc takes that further.
Now to decide to bide my time or get shopping. Wonder if there will be market flood in a few weeks/months.
They really are a different world! I would hold back at the moment as the prices are very high due to demand, when things calm down, they will drop. When I started looking at my bike, it was £700, it dropped and rose multiple times before I had to jump on it so just keep your eyes peeled for deals
Post a comment
@
    Text