Groups
    EXPIRED

mountain bike advice please budget £600

Banned
    My employer is running the cycle to work scheme through Halfords.
    I am hoping to get myself a good bike and spread the cost and am looking for advice as to the best Hardtail mtb available for my budget.
    Halfords say they can source the majority of bikes, i am a bit naive when it comes to spec. People have differing opinions on frames, brakes, gears, etc.
    I want to use the bike for on and off road, but nothing too mental like extreme downhill!
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

7 Comments

My OH's work were going to do this. . . until he got knocked over riding home from work!! i think he spoiled it for every one now lol

thing is your after 2 very different types a road bike has thin tyres and a DH bike has big thick ones which really dont help with road riding!

My advice would be to get a hardtail mountain bike and then get some semi slick tyres for riding it on the road. Try looking at magazines such as mbuk for bike reviews.

Think you want a "hybrid" tyre.

To be honest this is the site you want to be asking the questions, nothing these lads don't know! (see you there !)
    bikeradar.com/

rangermastiffs;2888616

Think you want a "hybrid" tyre.To be honest this is the site you want to … Think you want a "hybrid" tyre.To be honest this is the site you want to be asking the questions, nothing these lads don't know! (see you there !)http://www.bikeradar.com/

i second that. fantastic website! helped me make my decision

Just go for a "£500 bike" from any of the big manufacturers ( i use inverted commas as everybody's £500 bike has now risen to £575-£600 for the coming year )

Most hardtails around this price-range now have a good quality lockout fork fitted as standard, so you can make the bike completely rigid when riding on the road, and not be limited when riding off-road.

Hybrids are much less practical imo; theres nothing you can do on a hybrid that you can't do on a mountain-bike, but not the other way round.

Bikeradar and their community of rear-mech weighing bores don't interest me even remotely, some of the questions on there are unbelievably inane.

For proper advice, look no further than your local independent bike-shop

Carrera Fury

Yeah, when buying a bike, don't get "this year's" model - get the previous years. it'll save around £100 - £200, and for he only difference being a new shade or pedal manufacturer (or something)

speaking of which - I have a 06/07 specialized hardrock pro I don't use!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Free JackpotJoy Plate56
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717

See more discussions