Expired

Mountain Bike for £200 to £250

Found 9th Jun 2009
Hi I'm looking to buy my boyfriend a mountain bike for his birthday. Would like to get a cheap one but with reasonable components etc if possible as he's just getting back into biking and his old bike is just... old.

Have seen this
chainreactioncycles.com/Mod…442
and this
rutlandcycling.com/814…tml

But don't know enough about bikes to know which is the better bike.

Please could someone help?

6 Comments

That Chainreactions bike, you got to assemble it yourself from what is said in the reviews.

Can you go up to £300ish? I personally think you cannot beat GT Avalanches.

Original Poster

Thank you. But I can't stretch past £250

Hmm.

I would suggest you really post on the forums I post below, I did when looking for a bike and these guys are regular, many posters, and they know so much stuff.

mtbe.co.uk/

An english bike forum, just post up!

Original Poster

Ok. Thanks for your help

rutlandcycling.com/108…tml

as much as i like kona, the spec is a bit poor in your link. has a freewheel (kids bikes have freewheels!) whilst the giant at least has a cassette. (basically the way the cogs on the back wheel fit on, cassette is preferrable over freewheel.)
The giant seems a good price, as good a spec you'll get for the money and is a decent brand too.

Hi,

I am big into my bikes and i find that the best place to get one from is ebay! You can get a much better price for a fraction of the price from ebay!

If he wants a mountain bike then i would recommend any of the following brands;

Kona, Giant, Specialzes, GT,

Or you could get yourself or your partner to enqurie at work about the "ride to work scheme" great incentive put out by the governemnt - evanscycles.com/rid…ork
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. £15 topcashback this weekend when you spend £15 at Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa…510
    2. PlayStation VR is the number 1 selling product on Amazon right now11
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771752
    4. Sky VIP free tickets alert77

See more discussions