Mountain bike help

Found 23rd May
Hi I haven't been on a bike in about 20 years so don't know what am looking for need one now for work travel about 100 miles a week, looking at spending upto £250 any advise thanks.
Community Updates
6 Comments
Could try second hand and get more for ur money.. I prefer trigger gears to grip changers as well so just find things you like bout different bikes and look for one with most
Go look at Decathlon. Some models are brilliant
If you are on roads I wouldn't get a mountain bike, maybe a hybrid or road bike.
MIDURIX2 h, 13 m ago

If you are on roads I wouldn't get a mountain bike, maybe a hybrid or road …If you are on roads I wouldn't get a mountain bike, maybe a hybrid or road bike.

This. Unless you are cycling through the woods to get to work, a mountain bike would not be the most efficient bike to get. I would get a road bike. £250 is quite low for a new bike so look at second hand ones as you can then pick up good quality road or hybrid bikes.
100 miles a week is a lot if you haven't been on a bike in 20 years. You want a hybrid or, better yet, a road bike that'll take wider tyres (say around 32mm or so), rather than an outright racing bike. £250 is not a lot of money, I'd try and up your budget to £400 or so. You can pick up a secondhand bike, but unless the previous owner was absolutely fastidious about maintenance then it may be harbouring problems.

The plan seems rather ambitious, bordering on the impossible (you will probably be knackered unless you are already super fit). Is there no way to combine bike travel with train or bus travel? You would probably need a Brompton folding bike for this and they will set you back £500 secondhand.
20 miles a day is ambitious considering you haven’t been on a bike in 20 years 😳😳😳
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants