Mountain bike help, dirt, jump bikes.

Found 7th Jul 2009
Ok i used to bmx a lot , recently fancy getting a dirt/jump style mtb for messing about in the woods on the odd sunday afternoon (like a little kid :p), whats some good cheapish bikes to look for on ebay and more importantly what to avoid??? cheers.

12 Comments

if you're going mtb in the woods i would avoid trees

Original Poster

Scream;5689350

if you're going mtb in the woods i would avoid trees

very good :thumbsup:

bump

I'd look at the DMR trailstar on Ebay, It's 4130 cro-moly frame which is strong & not too heavy, the alloy dirt jump bike frames are normally heavily welded around the head tube for strength, but they can still fail and crack due to the metal properties aluminium being a more brittle than steel. However saying that alloy frames have improved a hell of a lot since I were jumping around on trials bikes.

GT Chucker to start with. should be able to get one cheap enough, and they good bikes.

Banned

I have a barely used GT chucker 3.0 if you're interested OP I paid £350 down from £400

I Would sell new but because it's not disc brakes the black on the wheel rims has worn off a bit, but condition wise BRAND NEW

edit: Should add never been jumped, I took up downhill MTB instead

mtbr.com/cat…spx

Have a go at a Trials(no seat) ..I've got a FLEA 3 with powerful Magura HS33 rim brakes ..the bike has the smaller 24" wheels & a shorter wheel base so I can use it bmx-like at the skate park for clearing the spine & climbing/ dropping into half pipes . Also suitable as a pure trials bike when I want to to do street furniture ... the bikes up to that too. I'm 41 by the way ...going on 14!

Original Poster

cheers for bump gerb and cheers for info everyone, any more reliable names of bikes? , and want some names to avoid, cheers few gt chuckers on ebay seems like could get one under 200 quid not bad! lumoruk how much you thinking for yours?

Banned

kungfu;5692352

cheers for bump gerb and cheers for info everyone, any more reliable … cheers for bump gerb and cheers for info everyone, any more reliable names of bikes? , and want some names to avoid, cheers few gt chuckers on ebay seems like could get one under 200 quid not bad! lumoruk how much you thinking for yours?

I guess £200 :oops: I would poke myself in the eyes to take more than £150 hit you'll get more for your money on ebay for the bikes under £200 but they aren't in as good nick as mine. Weigh it up though because most will be collection only, if you're not in the Oxford area there's not much point.

I was spitting when my mate offered me his downhill for £250 straight after I had bought the chucker for £350 :-(

My girlfriend (fiancée) won't ride it because it's blue :roll:

Banned

the suspension on the downhill is higher than that, its just been locked out

http://www.lumor.co.uk/bikes.JPG

Original Poster

lumoruk;5693758

I guess £200 :oops: I would poke myself in the eyes to take more than … I guess £200 :oops: I would poke myself in the eyes to take more than £150 hit you'll get more for your money on ebay for the bikes under £200 but they aren't in as good nick as mine. Weigh it up though because most will be collection only, if you're not in the Oxford area there's not much point.I was spitting when my mate offered me his downhill for £250 straight after I had bought the chucker for £350 :-(My girlfriend (fiancée) won't ride it because it's blue :roll:

im up in teesside, shame i reckon we could of done a deal :-(

Banned

kungfu;5694387

im up in teesside, shame i reckon we could of done a deal :-(

oh well, I'll have to spray it pink or something :?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771845
    2. Without saying how old you are, Name one thing from your childhood someone …5384
    3. 10% quidco cashback at eBay Sunday 19th November only22
    4. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?1013345

See more discussions