Expired

Mounting 40" TV to plasterboard wall

Found 17th Jul 2011
Good afternoon.

I'm looking to mount my 40" TV to a plasterboard wall.
I've got some metal self-drive wall plugs that are made for plasterboard Walls apparently.

The weight of the TV is 15kg
Do you think the wall will hold it?

Also, does anyone have any tips for me please?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
MiscTV & Video
31 Comments
i researched this the other month for my 32inch lcd tv.

i conluded that i wouldnt bothher as alot of stories end up in disaster.
if theres a professional out there that can advise otherwise im willing to listen!

thanks
Have some on my 26" tv in my bedroom and feels proper solid. As long as you use 6-8 it should hold I reckon. Good luck!
for total piece of mind the bracket would really need to be screwed into the timber frame behind your plasterboard,
15kgs is nothing in terms of weight if the wall is sound.
You'd be better off trying to locate some of the screws into the battens if at all possible.
Is there no brick/stud walling behind?
Thanks for the replies. I bought a pack of 12 fixings from B&Q today so I'll probably use about 8 of them.
Is there no brick/stud walling behind can anyone recommend a place where to buy the fixings from and what to buy?

i have a 32" Toshiba LCD, its 12kg

Thanks
I think there is a few studs (by tapping the wall) but it's just the spacing between them that might be an issue.
djmalone1985

Is there no brick/stud walling behind can anyone recommend a place where … Is there no brick/stud walling behind can anyone recommend a place where to buy the fixings from and what to buy?i have a 32" Toshiba LCD, its 12kgThanks

I've used bracketsrus in the past and came with all necessary screws/wallplugs and it's been fine.

WRXiceman

I think there is a few studs (by tapping the wall) but it's just the … I think there is a few studs (by tapping the wall) but it's just the spacing between them that might be an issue.

I'd be suprised if the studs were too far apart, have you already got a mount? I'd really recommend screwing into the studs if possible, especially with a 40'' tv.
I've got a mount today.
I've started screwing into the wall now. I think I've got the stud on 2 of the screws which is good
You need toggle fixings.
I have done this before. If you have an older house the studs should be 400mm apart and a newer house 600mm apart. I cut a piece of 18mm ply to suit the size of the bracket and fixed it to 2 of the wall studs with 75mm screws. Fix the bracket to the ply and if possible fix into at least 1 of the wall studs. For the rest of the fixing holes of the bracket you will only be using 18mm screws so put in as many as you can. I had my mate who weighs 17 stone swing from the bracket and it was as solid as a rock. It might take a bit of planning to make sure the ply cannot be seen sticking out from behind the tv and you can also paint the ply to match the wall colour.
Word of caution. Think before you drill where any pipes or cables may be in relation to where you are drilling.
There was a section on AV Forums a few years ago with details on fixing TV's to walls . Most folk took down the plasterboard wall to re-inforce the studding and make a special provision for cables .etc. I would never hang a TV onto a plasterboard wall without it first being re-inforced.
ricko

There was a section on AV Forums a few years ago with details on fixing … There was a section on AV Forums a few years ago with details on fixing TV's to walls . Most folk took down the plasterboard wall to re-inforce the studding and make a special provision for cables .etc. I would never hang a TV onto a plasterboard wall without it first being re-inforced.

Have to agree, also do you have any small children or animals? If so i would get better advice, a broken tv is something that can be replaced, a child/animal could get hurt.
Well, I've just finished mounting it to the wall and it does feel very sturdy.
I'm extremely happy with it.

I'll post a pic ASAP!

WRXiceman

Here it is

Did you forget to use a tape measure?
transit

Did you forget to use a tape measure?

What?

You can't see the whole room from that picture, and if you could then you would understand why it's positioned like that.
Plus, the bracket is like a rail so the TV can slide left or right
At least it hasn't got too far to fall when it comes crashing down..(_;)
Inactive

At least it hasn't got too far to fall when it comes crashing down..(_;)

Haha. It does feel surprisingly sturdy so it should be fine
Well done job well done. Put your favourite film on, open a beer or two and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
donaldduck2

Well done job well done. Put your favourite film on, open a beer or two … Well done job well done. Put your favourite film on, open a beer or two and enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Haha. Thanks mate. And you know what, that's exactly what I'm going to do!
Edited by: "WRXiceman" 17th Jul 2011
WRXiceman

What?You can't see the whole room from that picture, and if you could … What?You can't see the whole room from that picture, and if you could then you would understand why it's positioned like that.Plus, the bracket is like a rail so the TV can slide left or right

So thats a no then.
Too late in this thread but I would have advised using hollow wall anchors, I have read that even trade professionals use them to hang radiators on plasterboard wall.

Just buy then to the relevant thickness of your plasterboard and the fixture thickness.

I have used these personally, even for heavy-ish bathroom cabinets and shelving on plasterboard walls, and rear surround speakers that mount via a keyhole screw slot.

http://0.tqn.com/d/homerepair/1/0/A/4/-/-/expandable_3.jpg

These can be expensive at your usual places like B&Q and Wickes, but are very reasonably priced at Screwfix, and that is where I pick mine up from.
WRXiceman

What?You can't see the whole room from that picture, and if you could … What?You can't see the whole room from that picture, and if you could then you would understand why it's positioned like that.Plus, the bracket is like a rail so the TV can slide left or right

The bracket may be "like a rail" because it is a rail!. A lot of wall mounts have those rails, obviously depending on the size of the tv and the positioning on the rail it is more important to get central load across the rail than sliding the tv across due to erroneous measurements!
jellybaby22

I have got a 46 inch mounted on a plasterboard wall... We bought special … I have got a 46 inch mounted on a plasterboard wall... We bought special screws... Really wide ones... I say we... My oh did it:pBut I have a 46 inch on plasterboard in my kids room and it's just up with normal screws (ones that came with the bracket) and holds fine....

I hope that is a typo? Else I have no idea how normal screws in a plasterboard wall are holding up a 46 inch tv with nothing other than say 5mm of plasterboard to bite into, unless you located the wall studs and screwed directly into the wood.
jellybaby22

^^^ yeah it's screwed into the wall studs

Good to know!!
To be honest, I'm pleased with it and it's really sturdy. Think I did a good job for a novice
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants