Groups

Mounting projector screen ?

Hi

I am looking to mount my 100'' projector screen to the wall on the ground floor, as I think the ceiling might not be strong enough, plus I can't lift the carpet on the 1st floor to see where the joists are to attach the screen. Unfortunately for wall brackets the only suitable points are more or less above main wall plugs on each side

I will buy a stud / electrics detector to see where the wiring is, but I assume it goes straight up the wall, i.e. exactly where I would need to drill.

Is anyone aware of any smart DIY solution how I could mount the screen while avoiding electrical wiring - i.e. maybe have the brackets somehow mounted at a narrower (or wider) width than the screen hooks , so I can ensure I am not drilling into any wires etc ?

Thanks

7 Comments

you could put up a few shelves and mount onto them.

Will your stud detector not locate the ceiling joists?

badasschris

As above, what is to stop you mounting onto a batten and sharing the load across the wall rather than two mounting points. You paint the batten a nice colour so it looks part of the room.

Original Poster

Many thanks for the responses !

Pls excuse my ignorance, but is a batten two vertical smallish pieces of wood sitting between bracket and wall, or one long horizontal shelf-like piece across the wall, with the projector screen mounted to it ?

Maybe you can link to a google image , so it will make better sense to me. Sorry I'm not great at DIY, still learning

Original Poster

badasschris

so the screen would just be mounted to the shelves, and the shelves to the wall, correct ? I guess that would be solid enough, given the screen only weighs around 3-4kg. Though it's a manual pull down screen, so don't know how much force will be applied to the shelves when pulling it downwards

If its only 3-4kg, just mount it on the ceiling with some good fixings. you may even be lucky and hit a joist.

Original Poster

craigstephens

If its only 3-4kg, just mount it on the ceiling with some good fixings. … If its only 3-4kg, just mount it on the ceiling with some good fixings. you may even be lucky and hit a joist.

Actually it's 6kg, so I'll see if i can find the joist to attach to. Otherwise a batten across the wall as was suggested above is probably the best idea.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?714
      2. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value610
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767191
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424014478

See more discussions