Posted 30th Dec 2021
The in laws are having sky glass delivered today, the 55" Version and want it up on the wall, they have bought the bracket from wilko, it fits up to 70" screen and holds upto 40kg on weight, I just don't trust the screws that came with it, any advice would be grateful
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
16 Comments
  1. Avatar
    I've put up a number of tv's and none have fallen down yet. The biggest consideration is what type of wall are you fixing the bracket to? I've had a lot of success with fischer wall plug/bolts - amazon.co.uk/dp/…c=1

I've also used expanding anchor bolts - they are overkill these days for tv's imo but I did put up a few heavy plasma tv's that are going nowhere with them - amazon.co.uk/dp/…24P

You can get both from a variety of places including b&q, Homebase and screwfix. Just make sure you have the right sized drill bit and buy the right sized bolts for the frame (too small and they will pass through the fixing holes) - I think I went for 8-10mm on the majority.

If you aren't fixing to concrete/a solid wall I'm not entirely sure as I'd imagine you need to find a wooden stud and screw directly into that but I'm not an expert so no idea tbh.

edit - one final thing, please don't mount the tv too high, I have no idea why people do that, it's literally a pain to watch for long periods of time.
    Edited by: "AndrewRoss" 30th Dec 2021
  2. Avatar
    I've mounted several large TV's into just plasterboard for myself & relatives using these - none have fallen off the wall yet

amazon.co.uk/Gri…1-3
  3. Avatar
    It should be mounted with the centre of the screen at head height when sat in a normal chair or sofa. That way the possibility of neck ache is minimised.
  4. Avatar
    I thought the TV comes with built in mount and the installers should be doing this as part of the install?
    Edited by: "bally12345" 30th Dec 2021
  5. Avatar
    bally1234530/12/2021 13:54

I thought the TV comes with built in mount and the installers should be …I thought the TV comes with built in mount and the installers should be doing this as part of the install?

I'm not sure about that, it must be a separate option as the document on Sky says that it 'must be installed by a professional'. It's possibly something to consider as the TV is essentially rented isn't it, rather than bought? If anything goes wrong and you've mounted it yourself I'd imagine they won't be too happy lol

Edit - apparently it comes with its own special mounting bracket too from reading about it online, so you might not even be able to use the bracket from wilko @Paul_Stephens
    Edited by: "AndrewRoss" 30th Dec 2021
  6. Avatar
    Author
    AndrewRoss30/12/2021 14:01

I'm not sure about that, it must be a separate option as the document on …I'm not sure about that, it must be a separate option as the document on Sky says that it 'must be installed by a professional'. It's possibly something to consider as the TV is essentially rented isn't it, rather than bought? If anything goes wrong and you've mounted it yourself I'd imagine they won't be too happy lolEdit - apparently it comes with its own special mounting bracket too from reading about it online, so you might not even be able to use the bracket from wilko @Paul_Stephens

After a bit of googling it has vesa fittings on the back, I can't use the bracket it comes on, they have sockets on the wall behind it and the sky bracket goes flush to the wall
  7. Avatar
    JamalFatty30/12/2021 13:41

I've mounted several large TV's into just plasterboard for myself & …I've mounted several large TV's into just plasterboard for myself & relatives using these - none have fallen off the wall yethttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Grip-Bracket-Mounting-Plasterboard-Kit/dp/B08D3YHF6Q/ref=sr_1_3_mod_primary_new?crid=1ZBX3E7QBOJXD&keywords=grip+it&qid=1640871632&s=diy&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sprefix=grip+it,diy,73&sr=1-3

Can confirm these plugs are really good for mounting a big TV on to plasterboard with a large cavity behind. Have a 55" hanging on plaster with these plugs, it's very solid.
  8. Avatar
    sky glass might break be careful
  9. Avatar
    Author
    I have had a quick look at the sky glass in person and I may be able to move the socket lower so i can use the sky bracket that came with it, it doesn't come with any wall fixings but on the instructions it reccomends 70mm coach screws and 40mm wall plugs so picking some up from toolstation in the morning, thanks to all for your suggestions
  10. Avatar
    The Sky Glass bracket is a very awkward install. It brings the TV very tight to the back of the wall. It is ok if you have no points of connections behind the TV and like it to be tight to the wall.
    I have mounted a few Sky Glass and always find installing it onto a separate wall mount is better then using the sky bracket. As you can lift it off easier and get connections to the rear like a wall mounted plug.
    Anyone that has installated sky glass using the only the bracket provided would understand. As it takes a few goes to be sure to get it to slot in and be sure.
    Good luck.
  11. Avatar
    Author
    ifixit31/12/2021 00:26

The Sky Glass bracket is a very awkward install. It brings the TV very …The Sky Glass bracket is a very awkward install. It brings the TV very tight to the back of the wall. It is ok if you have no points of connections behind the TV and like it to be tight to the wall. I have mounted a few Sky Glass and always find installing it onto a separate wall mount is better then using the sky bracket. As you can lift it off easier and get connections to the rear like a wall mounted plug. Anyone that has installated sky glass using the only the bracket provided would understand. As it takes a few goes to be sure to get it to slot in and be sure. Good luck.

I fitted it yesterday morning, to be fair I found the paper template really good and easy to follow, I ended up using the black spacers that come with the bracket. The tv ended up 20mm from the wall but it looks good and the in-laws were happy with it.
  12. Avatar
    46813817-k2jxw.jpg46813817-xxs36.jpg46813817-bM0p1.jpgOur 65 ball ache to get it mounted, but worth the effort I think.
  13. Avatar
    Author
    Stetec01/02/2022 15:17

[Image] [Image] [Image] Our 65 ball ache to get it mounted, but worth …[Image] [Image] [Image] Our 65 ball ache to get it mounted, but worth the effort I think.

Looks really good, my in-laws ended up sending the tv back, they couldn't get on with it
  14. Avatar
    46816636-DIMf4.jpgLove ours so far tbh
  15. Avatar
    Stetec01/02/2022 21:31

[Image] Love ours so far tbh

Better now you have hidden the plug socket with a plant
  16. Avatar
    Yeah exactly, the wife insisted
Post a comment
Top Merchants