Move to Amd??

Posted 15th Nov
I currently have a intel i5 8400, I use mainly photoshop and lightroom, I want to upgrade but not sure if i should upgrade to a i7 9700F or move to a amd ryzen which means I would have to change my motherboard....What should I do? thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
What is your thinking behind switching to Ryzen (knowing that it would mean changing the mobo) rather than sticking with Intel?
Intel is normally better but also more expensive. I’d personally stick with intel if you could.
Edited by: "Mechtup" 15th Nov
There isn't much of an upgrade available from your current CPU. Those applications aren't particularly highly threaded so they top out at utilising about 6-8 cores.

The 9700 is exactly the same CPU design as your current model, but running at four point mumble Ghz instead of 3.8Ghz and with 8 cores instead of 6 cores.

So if we say it's 1.2x faster in clockspeed and you'd get a 10% speed boost in some tasks from the extra cores we're only talking about 1.32x the performance. A 10 second task now takes 7.5 seconds.

It's the sort of upgrade you'd do if the program's processing is seriously holding you up and even small improvements are worthwhile but I'd consider it far too small an improvement for a general upgrade.
EndlessWaves15/11/2019 22:38

There isn't much of an upgrade available from your current CPU. Those …There isn't much of an upgrade available from your current CPU. Those applications aren't particularly highly threaded so they top out at utilising about 6-8 cores.The 9700 is exactly the same CPU design as your current model, but running at four point mumble Ghz instead of 3.8Ghz and with 8 cores instead of 6 cores. So if we say it's 1.2x faster in clockspeed and you'd get a 10% speed boost in some tasks from the extra cores we're only talking about 1.32x the performance. A 10 second task now takes 7.5 seconds. It's the sort of upgrade you'd do if the program's processing is seriously holding you up and even small improvements are worthwhile but I'd consider it far too small an improvement for a general upgrade.

Was just gonna say exactly the same thing.
EndlessWaves15/11/2019 22:38

There isn't much of an upgrade available from your current CPU. Those …There isn't much of an upgrade available from your current CPU. Those applications aren't particularly highly threaded so they top out at utilising about 6-8 cores.The 9700 is exactly the same CPU design as your current model, but running at four point mumble Ghz instead of 3.8Ghz and with 8 cores instead of 6 cores. So if we say it's 1.2x faster in clockspeed and you'd get a 10% speed boost in some tasks from the extra cores we're only talking about 1.32x the performance. A 10 second task now takes 7.5 seconds. It's the sort of upgrade you'd do if the program's processing is seriously holding you up and even small improvements are worthwhile but I'd consider it far too small an improvement for a general upgrade.

Thanks, So hold out for now
What is full spec of your pc
Cisco06060616/11/2019 00:04

What is full spec of your pc

Intel i5 8400,

32gb ddr4

Geforce 1070

1tb SSD
deleted1471098
Save your money and wait till it’s actually worth upgrading.
fedorfan7716/11/2019 00:08

Intel i5 8400, 32gb ddr4 Geforce 10701tb SSD

Upgrade to i7 if you really want to.
But I agree with other, the difference may not be significant.
deeky15/11/2019 22:50

Was just gonna say exactly the same thing.

Yep, me too.
Dunno about you all, but I am moving to AMD. Excellent hardware, they are back in force. Also if you value security, intel is not the answer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions