Moved home. How to find the best broadband deal?

Found 19th Jul
Hello all. Just moved in and really don't know how to go about finding the best deal on broadband.
The flat has an open reach box inside and I understand that it's for the fibre link.
Which websites to use to find the best deal? Is there such thing as WiFi without phone line?
Thanks
2990353-s4zWQ.jpg

Community Updates
AskBroadband
19 Comments
I thought that box is for when it is fibre to the home and not just to the cabinet, if so I would stick with BT if you can get a deal, had my BT fibre to the home for 2 years now and not let me down once unlike my previous slow broadband connections. I pay £29.99 including phone line, weekend calls and 76mb fibre to the home, you will know if it is fibre to the home as you will have 2 separate phone lines coming into your property.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 19th Jul
Wi-fi is a technology to allow computers around your home to share resources, like an internet connection. Wi-fi is provided solely by the box in your house (which many ISPs throw in as part of the bundle) and has no bearing on the connection itself.

As Southwales says that appears to be an FTTP box given the optical input. Only around 0.5-1 Million premises are connected to the faster FTTP network at the moment so it's not a big product.

Because of this it's hidden away on many ISP's sites so broadband comparison sites are going to even more useless than normal. You probably won't see the big up front discounts offered on more widespread connection types. You just have to look around.

I'm not sure what the phone service situation is with FTTP providers, likely they just go for a VOIP-based service that uses your normal broadband connection.
EndlessWaves1 h, 8 m ago

Wi-fi is provided solely by the box in your house (which many ISPs throw …Wi-fi is provided solely by the box in your house (which many ISPs throw in as part of the bundle) and has no bearing on the connection itself....

Can equally have wifi from cellular source. I have buddies that have no landline nor cable and just hammer VM / 3 cellular data connection, feeding the connection to router for both ethernet & wifi. Think the guy using 3 also shares celular data via bluetooth.
Lol, I'm none the wiser. Which providers should I contact other than BT?
Something to consider before you purchase that I have experienced.
I had virgin 200,000,000mb or whatever it is these days. Great download speeds etc no issues.
I moved to sky. Asked for their fastest speed, obviously this was the highest price. The online sales rep asked if I was local to an exchange as when they checked my speed it was excellent with hardly any loss. My exchange is (fortunately for me) a few streets away. Sky rep recommended I tried The lowest speed (and cheapest) as it would suffice my needs. If not just upgrade after a month. 14mnth in I'm still on slowest speed. My house has mine and partners phone, my tablet her laptop, 3 kids kindles, hive, echo and 1 sonos speaker. Downloads (music) are virtually unnoticeably slower. I now longer download films so can't comment. I stream movies while the missus scans faceache and twotter. Kids play games and stream films. Max I've had is roughly 4/5 devices at once and no concerns.

I'm not advertising sky (the WiFi range is garbage from the router) but definitely check where your exchange is if you don't know and don't pay for super fast (super expensive) if you don't need it.
I sure all companies would let you start low with a view to upgrade.

Good luck.

Just a guess but I'd have though cable (virgin) would be your only option without a phone line but they still charge a line rental fee.
Edited by: "BFCsider" 20th Jul
BFCsider20th Jul

Something to consider before you purchase that I have experienced.I had …Something to consider before you purchase that I have experienced.I had virgin 200,000,000mb or whatever it is these days. Great download speeds etc no issues.I moved to sky. Asked for their fastest speed, obviously this was the highest price. The online sales rep asked if I was local to an exchange as when they checked my speed it was excellent with hardly any loss. My exchange is (fortunately for me) a few streets away. Sky rep recommended I tried The lowest speed (and cheapest) as it would suffice my needs. If not just upgrade after a month. 14mnth in I'm still on slowest speed. My house has mine and partners phone, my tablet her laptop, 3 kids kindles, hive, echo and 1 sonos speaker. Downloads (music) are virtually unnoticeably slower. I now longer download films so can't comment. I stream movies while the missus scans faceache and twotter. Kids play games and stream films. Max I've had is roughly 4/5 devices at once and no concerns.I'm not advertising sky (the WiFi range is garbage from the router) but definitely check where your exchange is if you don't know and don't pay for super fast (super expensive) if you don't need it.I sure all companies would let you start low with a view to upgrade.Good luck.Just a guess but I'd have though cable (virgin) would be your only option without a phone line but they still charge a line rental fee.

Not sure how would I find out where the exchange is. Can I ask what speeds do you have? It looks like the main speeds are 11, 36, 66, 100. Only Virgin offers 100 and I am tempted...
Ashan8545 m ago

Not sure how would I find out where the exchange is. Can I ask what speeds …Not sure how would I find out where the exchange is. Can I ask what speeds do you have? It looks like the main speeds are 11, 36, 66, 100. Only Virgin offers 100 and I am tempted...

I'm not sure how you would find out where your telephone exchange is. I just know they are biggish, ugly looking, pebble dashed buildings with few windows. The 2 nearest me are not in obvious open places, they're in the middle of rural areas.
I presume it would also depend on how congested an area you live in. There is usually 1 or 2 BT vans their every other day which is a giveaway.

I would definitely recommend you buy the lowest therefore cheapest broadband speed of whichever company you decide. If it's not enough just ring them, pay the extra and upgrade it. All companies will do this at the drop of a hat.

Minus line rental I'm paying sky £11.01 a mth as part of my tv package for broadband unlimited. When I do a speed check on my mobile I usually average 23mb during peak. (I have that as I write this). Its plenty for what I need with no issues.
Edited by: "BFCsider" 21st Jul
Also take advantage of cooling down periods (usually 14days).
If it's not good enough, cancel it.
Edited by: "BFCsider" 21st Jul
Ashan851 h, 13 m ago

Not sure how would I find out where the exchange is. Can I ask what speeds …Not sure how would I find out where the exchange is. Can I ask what speeds do you have? It looks like the main speeds are 11, 36, 66, 100. Only Virgin offers 100 and I am tempted...

availability.samknows.com/bro…rch

But a more pertenant question is where is the greenbox that services your home, because that distance is the one that wipes off the most speed if you go for the cheaper 'standard' broadband options and not FTTP options
Edited by: "eset12345" 21st Jul
Thanks guys. That fttp didn't show up anywhere on uswitch search. Spotted a great deal on here, the nowtv broadband 35Mbps for £20 for 12 months with potential topcashback.
Really want the best mix of speed and affordability, new flat means a lot of expenses and suddenly I'm budgeting carefully. I don't play games, just browse stream video and music and would like to upload videos in YouTube. That's it. Single person. Would 35Mbps be enough? The next step down would be 11 Mbps
Edited by: "Ashan85" 21st Jul
Ashan8556 m ago

Thanks guys. That fttp didn't show up anywhere on uswitch search. Spotted …Thanks guys. That fttp didn't show up anywhere on uswitch search. Spotted a great deal on here, the nowtv broadband 35Mbps for £20 for 12 months with potential topcashback.Really want the best mix of speed and affordability, new flat means a lot of expenses and suddenly I'm budgeting carefully. I don't play games, just browse stream video and music and would like to upload videos in YouTube. That's it. Single person. Would 35Mbps be enough? The next step down would be 11 Mbps

11 Mps will do most of what you want, but if you're uploading videos while streaming an HD movie it's going to take a while. Not sure if streaming 4k will be any good at that speed, but if you're not 4k yet that's irrelevant.
Went for Now Broadband 36 at £20 a month. Have to wait until the 6th of August... Arghh...
And it didn't go well. They told me to call them back as my address wasn't in their open reach database. The adress was present for the post code but incomplete without flat number. Was messed about advising to cancel and then reorder, they lied saying that this won't delay my instalation and today was told that even if I reorder after cancellation they can't guarantee the service will be provided... I'm drained... Most likely will tru other providers at 11mbps. Funny how I can get BT and my postcode and adress is recognised but other providers are not seeing it because it's a new built property.
sorry to revive this but I still haven't got a clear head.
The issue is that I moved into a new built block. Most of the providers won't find my address (flat, street etc) when adding the postcode. Now Broadband have declined my order exactly for that and they blame openreach systems and what not. The addresses look like drafts (example: "the landlord, name of the court, name of the street, town, postcode'' or just the name of the court and street but without flat numbers). Although I was encouraged to cancel my order and reorder on the phone, the next day a different operator said that they won't be able to guarantee installation.
BT website finds all the addresses in the block and actually confirms that the fastest speed of 145Mbs is available. Should I cave in and go with BT or wait until the databases are updated for other providers?
Pretty sure that BT won't have a monopoly over this but as it stands they have the upper hand.
Plusnet mobile also says that fibre is not available for my area.
Talk talk picks up the addresses but CS says that ''Due to the high demand of services in your area, the exchange is currently full.''
Sky picks up the wrong addresses exactly like Now Broadband
Edited by: "Ashan85" 27th Jul
You're wired up for fttp, I'm not sure if anyone other than bt offers this currently, other companies do locally (like talk talk in York). But you might be fairly limited.
Bt infinity 3/4 is what you need
Ashan8527th Jul

BT website finds all the addresses in the block and actually confirms that …BT website finds all the addresses in the block and actually confirms that the fastest speed of 145Mbs is available.

That's likely the FTTP package. They do also offer it over a technology called G.Fast (they advertise both under the 'Ultrafast' banner) but you probably won't have both available.

In terms of other ISPs offering openreach FTTP most of the top quality ISPs do (Zen, IDNet, AAISP etc.) but I'm not sure any of the big barebones ISPs (Sky, TalkTalk, Plusnet etc.) have made it available yet.

There are barebones ISPs like DirectSaveTelecom that are offering FTTP but I don't think they're offering it on the fibre network you're on:
directsavetelecom.co.uk/ftt…php

Have you tried the openreach checker directly?
openreach.co.uk/orp…x.d
There's also a BT Wholesale one that provides more details on exactly what services are available:
btwholesale.com/inc…htm

If you can only get FTTP and not the slower, older but more widespread FTTC then you just have to accept a lot of packages are unavailable to you. If BT are willing to offer you 'superfast' prices which are normally for their FTTC packages then that could be your main option for that sort of big upfront discounting offer you're after.
Fttp is then. A nice guy from plusnet told me. He mentioned other providers like Zen etc. But none available. I got tired of wasting time and ordered bt and it went so smooth. In 2 days I had the router delivered, there was absolutely no need for engineer, everything was connected, all I had to do was plug and play. Got tcb plus will apply for that mastercard so the deal (if they don't increase the price) will be about 23.5 a month. Speed and strength of the signal is crazy considering the router sits in the utility cupboard. Good upload speed as well. Good to start with. Later on maybe I will have options. Thank you all for the explanations. Wish I knew from day one that BT was the only choice :)) off to surf the best deal in furniture now! Ta
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions