Expired

Moved House - Need sky tv, broadband and phone (non cable area)

Found 6th May 2009
Hello all

Just moved house to one which has been renovated but previously empty for many years. Has phone line installed (presume BT) but not connected and don't know number.

Can't install sky dish onto roof (must be mounted onto a pole/stake at back of house).

Must have sky sports for the boys in the house !

I need broadband but don't download movies or anything... just browsing, ebay etc.
I'd also like the horsey channel that I believe is on sky.... not previously had it on my cable set up at last house.

land line phone won't really get used much but understand is needed for internet.

Would like HD to get ready for digital but not an absolute must.

Would also like sky channels in other rooms but quite a big house and no so easy to just pop cable through to next room.

Not sure what I need to do next really....

Do I need to call BT and get line installed before I do anything else?
Am I best to go with Sky TV... or will BT vision give me these things?

Was going to go with Sky variety pack, childrens pack & knowledge pack plus Sports Pack.

22 Comments

If you are a new customer and you don't have a BT compatible line, please call Sky on 08442 411 076 to see if Sky can arrange to install one for you.

Info found on sky web site

Checked prices on sky for the packages you say you want to add:

Sky variety pack, childrens pack & knowledge pack plus Sports Pack £37.50 a month + £15.00 one off cost
plus sky talk phone line (replaces your BT one) and broadband costs then brings it up to

£47.50 a month + 15.00 one off cost

]http//pa…ild

Original Poster

Brill, thanks

Is there any other fancy box I could buy for the other rooms or do I need to subscribe to Multiroom?

christophersmum;5133393

Brill, thanksIs there any other fancy box I could buy for the other rooms … Brill, thanksIs there any other fancy box I could buy for the other rooms or do I need to subscribe to Multiroom?

You'll need an extra Sky box and the Multiroom subscription for each room, just £9.75 extra a month for each extra box.

+ each additional box costs £49.00

All this info is on the link i enclosed earlier

Banned

christophersmum;5133393

Brill, thanksIs there any other fancy box I could buy for the other rooms … Brill, thanksIs there any other fancy box I could buy for the other rooms or do I need to subscribe to Multiroom?

bt is currently installing lines for free. any help u need , send me a pm

gR8_mUndA;5133486

bt is currently installing lines for free. any help u need , send me a pm

she says she already has an existing BT phone line installed, its just not switched on

Banned

Wenchybev;5133512

she says she already has an existing BT phone line installed, its just … she says she already has an existing BT phone line installed, its just not switched on

if it is a stopped line, even then it is free

Banned

think u should be able to manage a sky+ for free with free installation and paying £49 for a standard box isnt wortth imo

Original Poster

yeah, i think it's BT although not certain. I guess I'll find out for sure when I try & connect it !! lol
Tesco currently offering free sky + HD boxes with tv's, but i guess if i did that i'd still have the £9.75 per month to pay on top. is that per room? How would they know how many I've got... would I need to tell them ?

Banned

christophersmum;5133592

yeah, i think it's BT although not certain. I guess I'll find out for … yeah, i think it's BT although not certain. I guess I'll find out for sure when I try & connect it !! lolTesco currently offering free sky + HD boxes with tv's, but i guess if i did that i'd still have the £9.75 per month to pay on top. is that per room? How would they know how many I've got... would I need to tell them ?

when it was fiver a month, it was worth. now at 10 pounds a month per room. it simply isnt worth it. id rather amplify it myself and wont pay them a penny

Well if you ran a cable from one room to another they wouldnt know but then both rooms would have to watch the same channel , if both rooms wanted different channels on then youd need an extra box in each room and thats where the £9.75 comes in

Original Poster

gR8_mUndA;5133639

when it was fiver a month, it was worth. now at 10 pounds a month per … when it was fiver a month, it was worth. now at 10 pounds a month per room. it simply isnt worth it. id rather amplify it myself and wont pay them a penny

ahaaa. How do I do this??

Banned

Wenchybev;5133655

Well if you ran a cable from one room to another they wouldnt know but … Well if you ran a cable from one room to another they wouldnt know but then both rooms would have to watch the same channel , if both rooms wanted different channels on then youd need an extra box in each room and thats where the £9.75 comes in

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5027/82502164.png

this diagram i made should give u an idea on how it will work

ive worked with sky so i know some loopholes

hey i work for bt if i can help you i will

Original Poster

gR8_mUndA;5133741

this diagram i made should give u an idea on how it will workive worked … this diagram i made should give u an idea on how it will workive worked with sky so i know some loopholes

no pic showing :?

can you PM picture??

Original Poster

grahamh1981;5133748

hey i work for bt if i can help you i will

fab. how do I check if a phone socket in a new house is BT or not? Do I just give BT a call and give them the address?

Banned

christophersmum;5133796

fab. how do I check if a phone socket in a new house is BT or not? Do I … fab. how do I check if a phone socket in a new house is BT or not? Do I just give BT a call and give them the address?

put a pic here and we can possibly tell. it should say openreach and/or BT on the box

christophersmum;5133796

fab. how do I check if a phone socket in a new house is BT or not? Do I … fab. how do I check if a phone socket in a new house is BT or not? Do I just give BT a call and give them the address?

yeah to get the number if you have a dial tone dial 17070 it should give a recorded message with the number on

gR8_mUndA;5133871

put a pic here and we can possibly tell. it should say openreach and/or … put a pic here and we can possibly tell. it should say openreach and/or BT on the box

they dont anymore i dont think but if it has two screws on the front and looks like it can be taken off i think that is one of ours lol

Original Poster

grahamh1981;5134321

yeah to get the number if you have a dial tone dial 17070 it should give … yeah to get the number if you have a dial tone dial 17070 it should give a recorded message with the number on

that's really useful, thanks.

at work at the mo but i'll try tonight & report back tomorrow...:thumbsup:

christophersmum;5136220

that's really useful, thanks.at work at the mo but i'll try tonight & … that's really useful, thanks.at work at the mo but i'll try tonight & report back tomorrow...:thumbsup:

ok you can always pm me your details and i will check for you at work now so no worries

Original Poster

hi.

tried 17070 but sadly no dialing tone so didn't work.

have requested BT line. they said will connect by tomorrow night. They also said if they find no line connected it'd be £125 !! I said if that's the case to call me as I'm not paying that !!

We'll see what happens......

Original Poster

Flippin BT !!!

So much for connecting on Friday. Got a text Friday to say connecting on 15th May. Called to ask what happened but got put through to call centre somewhere half way round the world & couldn't understand what the fella was saying. So still don't know what's happening or why
Post a comment
@
    Text