Movies: A child of the 70's, teen of the 80's.

Posted 8th Mar
What films do you remember that you liked back then, especially ones in the 70's as a kid, or early 80's that you watched but have never seen since.

Or maybe like myself sought them out and watched again in recent years, 30 or even 40 years later, and how did they stand up to how you remembered them.
Community Updates
Misc
43 Comments
Flight Of The Navigator - brilliant film for its day and have watched it many times since. Never gets old!
I watched Damnation Alley when I was about 10.

Really liked it. We were one of the first to get a video recorder in our suburb. We were working class but my dad was a film buff and we rented it from Radio Rentals when they first came out in the shop. 1980 we had ours first. Kids in the road came up to watch it, some better off than us and didn't get one until 82 or 83. Yes maybe their parents had better things to spend their money on. But remember them coming and watching films like The Black Hole (never seen since) and Superman, and going home wanting their parents to get one. Anyway that's me gloating, they had better cars than us, so swings and roundabouts.
Edited by: "xenophon" 8th Mar
So Damnation Alley I watched again a few years ago after 35 years. Surprisingly held up quite good. Remember telling all my friends at school and in the park at the time about the cockroach scene.
ArcadeAssassin08/03/2020 02:41

Flight Of The Navigator - brilliant film for its day and have watched it …Flight Of The Navigator - brilliant film for its day and have watched it many times since. Never gets old!

Good call. I haven't seen that since, when was it, 1983.
Dark Night of the Scarecrow, 1981. Frightened and moved me as a 10 year old. Watched it again 30 years later and still did the same, but obviously not to the same extent.

But odd, or maybe not, I was partly transferred back there as a kid, almost watching it through the same 10 year old eyes at times. Love it when that happens. Only happens briefly before your 40 something eyes and mind kicks in again and spoils it.
BMX Bandits and Breakdance.
ArcadeAssassin08/03/2020 02:41

Flight Of The Navigator - brilliant film for its day and have watched it …Flight Of The Navigator - brilliant film for its day and have watched it many times since. Never gets old!

First film I thought to mention. Loved it
I'm a bit younger I think so for me it's stuff like war games, goonies, karate kid, although I haven't seen convoy since I was a nipper for some reason
Convoy, Superman, Condor Man and of course Ghostbusters and the Indiana Jones movies a bit later on.
hubcms08/03/2020 06:02

BMX Bandits and Breakdance.

I thought I was the only person that had ever seen Breakdance. Nobody my age ever seems to recall watching it. The soundtrack was, in part at least, way ahead of its time.
I was still a kid in the 80s but
Ghost busters, short circuit, electric dreams, weird science.
Probably more I haven't seen since.
Jaws, I remember queueing up for ages to see it, then when it died at the end everyone cheered you don't get that atmosphere anymore .
Young Sherlock Holmes.
The wizard with Fred savage
ABBA The movie. Everyone was dancing, cheered and demanded more. It was brilliant
Another one to add to my list is misfits of science
furbars08/03/2020 07:41

Jaws, I remember queueing up for ages to see it, then when it died at the …Jaws, I remember queueing up for ages to see it, then when it died at the end everyone cheered you don't get that atmosphere anymore .

My number 1 film 🦈 my dad took me to see it for my birthday, happy times.
This forgotten classic...

"He seems to be getting stronger as he melts..."

I loved horror films as a kid exorcist,poltergeist,elm street but the only one that really got to me was “the changeling..George C Scott” saw it a few years back...still don’t like it and it’s not really that scary.
I actually saw Jaws 2 before I saw Jaws. Duh. (I'm a kid again; I still use duh or is it der now). Remember your a wally: with a trolley or a brolly.

Jaws 2 I liked and seen it several times. Remember I saw it on video then went to a mate's and it was on TV and talked my head off about what was coming next. His dad finally said we don't need a running commentary, just shut the hell up!

Jaws is brill. One of my favourite films.

Just checked. I thought I saw Joeydeacon above. Thought I was really drifting back and imaging things.
leejay08/03/2020 09:49

I loved horror films as a kid exorcist,poltergeist,elm street but the only …I loved horror films as a kid exorcist,poltergeist,elm street but the only one that really got to me was “the changeling..George C Scott” saw it a few years back...still don’t like it and it’s not really that scary.

My dad never let me see the exorcist, glad he didn't. He was strict on 18 films, and I was always the same with my two. Poltergeist I saw on TV a year or two later, a 15, he was okay with them. One of the best supernatural films ever. The remake was awful.

Agree with you about the Changeling. One of the films I never saw and watched a few years ago. High ratings but meh.

Never took to Elm Street films. They seemed too teenage even when I was one.
IamMT08/03/2020 09:23

This forgotten classic..."He seems to be getting stronger as he …This forgotten classic..."He seems to be getting stronger as he melts..."[Video]

Watched that a few years ago. Remember it in the video library. Really crap but almost so bad it was good.
xenophon08/03/2020 02:59

Good call. I haven't seen that since, when was it, 1983.

1986. This year I was getting ready for a night out just after Christmas and just happened to turn the tv on and it was just starting, called mates and said i would be late and sat down and watched it all, then went out.
Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 8th Mar
I was never in in the 80s I’m catching up with the films to this day
suejb208/03/2020 08:47

ABBA The movie. Everyone was dancing, cheered and demanded more. It was …ABBA The movie. Everyone was dancing, cheered and demanded more. It was brilliant

That's debatable.

I got dragged in to it because my sister wanted to see it, and my mum refused to wait in the very long queues for Star Wars (none of this "New Hope" nonsense). Back in the day when films would be at a cinema for months, rather than the weeks they are now.
I watched pretty much everything back then (and many before I ever should have!) as my best friend's Father owned a video library! Hehe.

Logan's Run (76) - Jenny Agutter. oh how I loved J.A. Superb film too.
Capricorn One (77) - What a fab movie, full of everything.
Saturn 3 (80) - Farrah Fawsett (yum), the late Kirk Douglas (RIP) and the first 'robot' to really scare me.
Outland (81) - Doesn't get better than Sean Connery as an 'outer space' Marshall...
Runaway (84) - Tom Selleck and a killer AI machine.
The Last Starfighter (84) - The scene when Centauri 'passes' still gets me...
Steel Dawn (87) - The late, great Patrick Swayze and I REALLY wanted one of those swords! Kids, eh?

Thing about these movies is how my memory fails me. I remember them differently and if I watch some now, I find myself going "Huh? I don't remember it being like that?"
My brother and I were disaster movies mad. The 70's and early 80's took off with them.

Obviously Towering Inferno, the grandaddy of disaster movies, a classic.

Anyone remember Cassandra Crossing 1976?

(When I looked up the film I put in cass, and it came up with Cassandra Crossing. What are the chances of that. Strange thing is I never typed it in here first, I said it out loud.)

Thrilled me to bits. Stayed in my memory for years. Watched it again a few years ago and still a good film.
I had two older brothers so naturally they delighted in terrifying me at every opportunity by forcing me to watch horrors that I was way to young to be watching! All the classics like the Amityvilles, Exorcist, American Werewolf in London etc.

The one that sticks in my mind though was “Madman”. I must have been 5 or 6 years old when I watched it, but I can still remember the creepy soundtrack and the ubiquitous amounts of blood splatter! Haven’t seen it since, but I’m betting it’s utter garbage when re-watched!
Curlyman8308/03/2020 11:46

I had two older brothers so naturally they delighted in terrifying me at …I had two older brothers so naturally they delighted in terrifying me at every opportunity by forcing me to watch horrors that I was way to young to be watching! All the classics like the Amityvilles, Exorcist, American Werewolf in London etc.The one that sticks in my mind though was “Madman”. I must have been 5 or 6 years old when I watched it, but I can still remember the creepy soundtrack and the ubiquitous amounts of blood splatter! Haven’t seen it since, but I’m betting it’s utter garbage when re-watched!

Hahahahaha! I found the song! I love the internet! Thanks for this topic, Op! Took me back and brought back some good memories!

For me, it’s got to be Party Party, a film about teenage kids planning and having a New Years Eve Party while the parents are out. All star cast of household names as they start off their careers in tv.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 8th Mar
It's a mad mad mad mad world.
Star Wars...hard not to love that theme tune
Diggsy08/03/2020 12:16

Star Wars...hard not to love that theme tune

Never heard of it, is it a rip off battlestar galactica?
“The Thing” 1982 (in fact Dark Star and Assault on Precinct 13 - another 2 John Carpenter films - are also worth a watch.

Lets not forget the original Alien film was 1979...
Porky's
Watcher in the woods...Disney film and quite honestly one of the scariest films I’ve ever seen.... Still trying to summon up the courage to rewatch it!
Krull.
IamMT08/03/2020 09:23

This forgotten classic..."He seems to be getting stronger as he …This forgotten classic..."He seems to be getting stronger as he melts..."[Video]

This was on the Horror Channel a year or so back, so keep an eye on the listings if you want to see it again.
dealpickle08/03/2020 17:05

This was on the Horror Channel a year or so back, so keep an eye on the …This was on the Horror Channel a year or so back, so keep an eye on the listings if you want to see it again.

It's on YouTube in its entirety, it's more the memories of the time than the film itself. Saw it at the cinema with my dad and brother instead of watching the 1978 world cup final on TV.
Phsycronix08/03/2020 11:01

I watched pretty much everything back then (and many before I ever should …I watched pretty much everything back then (and many before I ever should have!) as my best friend's Father owned a video library! Hehe.Logan's Run (76) - Jenny Agutter. oh how I loved J.A. Superb film too.Capricorn One (77) - What a fab movie, full of everything. Saturn 3 (80) - Farrah Fawsett (yum), the late Kirk Douglas (RIP) and the first 'robot' to really scare me.Outland (81) - Doesn't get better than Sean Connery as an 'outer space' Marshall...Runaway (84) - Tom Selleck and a killer AI machine.The Last Starfighter (84) - The scene when Centauri 'passes' still gets me...Steel Dawn (87) - The late, great Patrick Swayze and I REALLY wanted one of those swords! Kids, eh? Thing about these movies is how my memory fails me. I remember them differently and if I watch some now, I find myself going "Huh? I don't remember it being like that?"

Just recently watched Logans Run again. Understand it better than when I was 8.

Capricorn One I have on Blu-ray. Excellent film.

Watched Outland on video. Then watched it again in the late 80's on ITV on the Night Zone, about 2.00am. I've picked it up for £3 on DVD Still a good film. High Noon in space.

Runaway I have refused to watch again. I liked it back then. But it was built around futuristic tech for its time that I loved as kid but nothing else. Okay maybe I'll give it a watch again.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants