Moving from Sky -> Now Broadband

Posted 3rd Dec
Do I need to do anything to make sure we keep our phone number?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
deleted1471098
Nowtv is owned by sky
deleted147109803/12/2019 19:44

Nowtv is owned by sky

Sure but now is cheaper and I heard there was issues with keeping phone numbers from going between the 2
deleted1471098
I wouldn’t have thought it would be an issue

help.nowtv.com/art…and
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 3rd Dec
Shouldn't be an issue if going from fibre to fibre, but NowTV often decline an ADSL inherit from Sky. Tel number portability is stated during signup.
Or just port the tel number to a VOIP service and enjoy the flexibility that brings; Sipgate charge one-off £25 (or similar) then no further fees unless you make outgoing calls; certainly no line rental rubbish. Check continuity of bb service options if going down that route.
AndyRoyd03/12/2019 20:28

Shouldn't be an issue if going from fibre to fibre, but NowTV often …Shouldn't be an issue if going from fibre to fibre, but NowTV often decline an ADSL inherit from Sky. Tel number portability is stated during signup.

What about if it was done in a different name perhaps? 💭
AndyRoyd03/12/2019 20:32

Or just port the tel number to a VOIP service and enjoy the flexibility …Or just port the tel number to a VOIP service and enjoy the flexibility that brings; Sipgate charge one-off £25 (or similar) then no further fees unless you make outgoing calls; certainly no line rental rubbish. Check continuity of bb service options if going down that route.

This is a very interesting proposition! There's a new gigabit provider called gigaclear moved in to our area but the phone thing with them is a bit of a nightmare to manage. Would this work with existing handset landline phones or?
ck1211103/12/2019 20:40

This is a very interesting proposition! There's a new gigabit provider …This is a very interesting proposition! There's a new gigabit provider called gigaclear moved in to our area but the phone thing with them is a bit of a nightmare to manage. Would this work with existing handset landline phones or?

The suggested Sipgate solution will work with your existing landline handsets via a £10 - £20 adapter, or just install a VOIP app to as many smart devices as you wish and bin the landline handsets.
To clarify: your incoming calls & voicemail-to-email will be zero cost (subject to any optional cellular data fees if away from wifi), but you may still need to consider the cost of outgoing calls from 1p/min, although if you have ample outgoing mobile allowance you may not need any outgoing VOIP allowance.
ck1211103/12/2019 20:40

This is a very interesting proposition! There's a new gigabit provider …This is a very interesting proposition! There's a new gigabit provider called gigaclear moved in to our area but the phone thing with them is a bit of a nightmare to manage.

basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/…sic
ck1211103/12/2019 20:38

What about if it was done in a different name perhaps? 💭

I don't think a decline of ADSL Sky to ADSL NowBB is anything other than not worthwhile for parent co, so Now chooses not to compete, regardless of customer name. If going from Sky ADSL to NowBB fibre it will / should not be an issue.
AndyRoyd03/12/2019 23:19

I don't think a decline of ADSL Sky to ADSL NowBB is anything other than …I don't think a decline of ADSL Sky to ADSL NowBB is anything other than not worthwhile for parent co, so Now chooses not to compete, regardless of customer name. If going from Sky ADSL to NowBB fibre it will / should not be an issue.

Sadly we don't have fibre in our area so ADSL - ADSL is the only option we have
ck1211104/12/2019 07:34

Sadly we don't have fibre in our area so ADSL - ADSL is the only option we …Sadly we don't have fibre in our area so ADSL - ADSL is the only option we have

Maybe a more beneficial service could be temporarily / permanently obtained via cellular network(s)? How is the Voda signal in your area? Voxi's unlimited everything £10/m no-contract plan may suit until Voxi learns to count. Shuv the Voxi SIM in that old battered 4G Voda / unlocked Android handset kicking around the back of your come-in-handy drawer and either activate its hotspot or USB tether it to router for potential gigabit network connectivity plus dual wifi, preceded by the £30 landline number port to Sipgate or similar.
Same concept as hotukdeals.com/com…674
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions