Moving home - where to start

Found 2nd Feb
OMG where to start. Me and hubby are moving

Doing my research online and looking for checklist of things to do etc but......what places offer discounts when moving. I thought homebase did a discount card for people who are moving?!?! or some ships did? lol

Any way....if any one has any hints and tips would be great as looks like we are moving in 1 one week.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Look on gumtree for free removal cardboard boxes from others that have moved and no longer needed
If you can afford it, get the full packing service from a reputable removal firm, not necessarily one of the big names. You only need to supply tea/coffee to the workers, sit back and relax. Your biggest problem is going to be the short notice. GL
Make a HUGE list.

Redirecting mail is one thing people tend to forget or leave too late.

Just a few I can think of but a good guide here which.co.uk/mon…ist:

Inform your bank, credit cards, DVSA, utilities, council tax. TV provider (Sky)
Take meter readings, submit and keep safe (taking a photo is a good way to record it).
Stop any deliveries - newspapers, milk, window cleaners & ensure bills paid.
Change ebay, paypal & amazon delivery/billing addresses.
Have a good clear out of all your stuff.
Box your belongings and label the box with a number and room. (Kitchen box 3) and take an inventory of EVERY single item. That way you will be able to find it when you need to without unpacking everything.
Deregister and register with doctor/dentist etc.

The list goes on....and on.....good luck and most of all keep a bottle of wine, two glasses and a corkscrew handy!
We moved 120 miles 3 months ago. Got the boxes from a local place found on Facebook. Hired a van and got totally knackered because we are in a late 50s the the was only the two of us. Two trips it took but saved us about £1500. We printed out some address labels and left some envelopes so things could be posted on.
Tip for boxes, you get them flat so have to tape them. Fold the two sides over and tape them down, then fold the other two side and tape those. Put the content on the box and the room they are going in.
4TheMenyNotTheFew17 h, 21 m ago

We moved 120 miles 3 months ago. Got the boxes from a local place found on …We moved 120 miles 3 months ago. Got the boxes from a local place found on Facebook. Hired a van and got totally knackered because we are in a late 50s the the was only the two of us. Two trips it took but saved us about £1500. We printed out some address labels and left some envelopes so things could be posted on.Tip for boxes, you get them flat so have to tape them. Fold the two sides over and tape them down, then fold the other two side and tape those. Put the content on the box and the room they are going in.

LOL
Original Poster
thanks

tips implemented and we are on the go moving date 9th march
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions