Expired

moving into my first home.

Found 10th Aug
hi all,

me and my partner are picking the keys up for our first house, super proud of myself as we have been able to save and get on the property ladder at the age of 25!

I just want to ask a couple of questions on what the first things i should do once we open that door?

Should I get on uswitch and change GAS and electricity asap?

we can't switch water company's, but do I have to contact the company and say I have moved in?

those were the main two that were worrying me, thanks for the replys!!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
christen all the rooms
Well done ! Firstly take a note of all your Gas Electric (and water if so) readings! From there onwards that’s what you pay for so it’s important to do that on day one! Other than that enjoy it don’t stress Rome wasn’t built in a day and a chip shop tea tonight is a must!:p
Change all the locks
13 Comments
Change all the locks
Well done ! Firstly take a note of all your Gas Electric (and water if so) readings! From there onwards that’s what you pay for so it’s important to do that on day one! Other than that enjoy it don’t stress Rome wasn’t built in a day and a chip shop tea tonight is a must!:p
Take pictures of the gas and water meetings as soon as you get in, in case of any disputes.
I set up my broadband quite soon aswell as they took quite a while to send the router.
benjammin31627 m ago

Change all the locks

As above and take meter readings (photograph the meters incase someone gives their supplier dodgy reading), if using a phone it will log the time and date you took the photo.

You will normally just continue with their suppliers so switching is not something you need to worry about on day 1.

Check rooms, loft and sheds for any rubbish and photograph anything left of significantce (if the rubbish bin outside is full you can’t really complain about that as it’ll be collected on bin day).

Check water/gas/electric is turned on (some people turn it all off). Make sure there’s no leaks where they have disconnected washing machine/gas coolers etc.

Change code on any alarm system that’s fitted.(google make and model for user guide if needed). As part of the sale the alarm code would be provided to you and the engineers code.

Check window locks and keys/back gate/outbuildings.

Get stuff unpacked and clean the house.

Day 2/3/4/5

Book phone/internet to be installed (once you’ve unpacked).

start to contact the utility suppliers and look at switching if you want to.

If the house has a garage consider treating the floor with floor sealer before unpacking anything in the garage.

PS well done getting on the ladder. I too did that around your age and we now have a larger house and have paid off half the mortgage. House worth around 400k (paid 330k 3 years ago after moving from our first time house) and am mid thirties. All our annual pay rises and extra cash goes into overpaying the mortgage, according to the mortgage calculator we should be mortgage free in 14 years!! :-) plan to then save cash and buy a rental property which will provide income for early retirement until pensions kick in. :-)
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 10th Aug
christen all the rooms
Firstly congratulations on your new home, it’s an exciting time and one you will always remember.

Definitely check out your options on gas and electric etc, a couple of online quotes could save you a lot - also I’m assuming you will need broadband so get quotes on that deals to be had and many compare sites such as compare the market (if you want free cinema tickets and half price)

Check HUKD for offers and see what people are saying about their experience with service provided by the companies (some are better than others)

There are so many things for you to organise as well, hope the list below helps a bit - good luck with the move and hope it all goes well for you 🏠 34672609-laP1B.jpg
Phone your local gas and electric network to find out which supplier the previous owner was with if you don't already know (just Google 'dno' and the post code). The meters will probably say 'property of' on them, this means nothing.
thanks all for you're help!
Also after going through the checklist above . Do think about home security. Alarms and cctvs . Whilst moving in . It's within first few months that burglars do try . As they have seen you moved in and so on .
Keep safe and Congratulations on your first home.
Edited by: "Blusphere" 10th Aug
xbaassassin1 h, 9 m ago

thanks all for you're help!

Check what you paid for on your contents list, if they've put down something is in the sales then it belongs to you. This covers curtains, light shades, carpet, rugs etc. Sounds daft but this can cost you a lot if they've been taken and if it's listed they will have to reimburse you.
Don't forget to change the address on your drivers license and the V5 of any cars that you have.
Congratulations to you and your partner. I hope you'll both be very happy in your new home together.

As others have already stated some excellent 'firsts' - especially checking/reading your meter(s) I would also just like to mention familiarising yourself with where your water stopcock is in the house (usually in kitchen/under sink) and try it to make sure it opens/closes. It may have not been used for quite some time so don't force it if it's tight. Check you know where your meter/cover is outside the property and whether you have been left with the special 'key' you need to operate it. It's only really important in an emergency so don't worry if you haven't got one. You can ask your water supplier for one. They are usually free. Your electricity meter (if outside the property) also sometimes needs a special shaped key. See if you have one. They may have been left in a kitchen drawer. That's where I found mine...

Also, find your electrical consumer box and check fuse/breaker/master switches so you know what's what - just in case something trips and you're left in the black! Spare bulbs and a torch are a must in a new home/environment. There are many more things to consider but these will come with time and experience. Never underestimate the usefulness of having a basic set of tools in the house. Screwdrivers, pliers hammer etc. and a good supply of plasters for all the skinned knuckles! Haha.

Enjoy the ride. I hope it's a smooth one...

Best regards, Phsy.
Wolfout40 m ago

Don't forget to change the address on your drivers license and the V5 of …Don't forget to change the address on your drivers license and the V5 of any cars that you have.

And insurance. Home insurance etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants