Moving Light Switch / Wireless options

Found 18th Sep 2017
Hi All,

Bedrooms in our new place have the light switch behind the
doors as they were re-hung this way by the previous owner. We like the way the
doors open but need to do something about the location of light switches.

I’ve thought about getting in the loft and checking the
wiring to see if I can use a junction box or something similar to extend the
wire and then trunk/chase down the wall to new location.

Is this the best option? Any inexpensive
wireless approaches or a simple remote control bulb approach?

Thanks,
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments
Philips Hue, Lutron to name a couple - lots of wireless options available now.

Re-routing lights is generally straght forwards especially if you have loft access as you should be able to see a lot of the wiring.

It all depends on how long you are planning on being in the house? Are the walls stud? If so you can probably run the cable between the walls to avoid using trunking.

Personally, get a sparky out for a quote for the rewire and you can also look at wireless options.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 18th Sep 2017
Anything wireless would have to be with smart bulbs rather than smart switches as you need both a live and a neutral at the switch - and most (nearly all) light switch sockets only have a switchable live.

I disagree with ipswich78 (I still remember the final well - but not as well as the 1973 one!) about how easy it is to reroute wires for sockets. Very difficult to do without creating a lot of mess and needed redecoration. Even stud walls will have a head plate you will have to find and drill through and possibly horizontal noggins in the wall that could obstruct the new cable route - requiring you to cut the plasterboard and repatch. If going to redecorate each bedroom then perhaps not too bad.

If you are going to do it there is generally one cable from the ceiling rose to the switch (on single light fitting rooms) on the live side, you just need to identify this (will run from the live supply to the rose, down to the switch then back up to the live side of the bulb fitting), remove it and replace with a similar cable to the new switch location. You may be able to pull the existing switch cable back and reuse to the new location.

If not 100% certain on what to do employ an electrician!
You can leave the light switch where it is and get the Phillips Hue option that Ipswich has suggested.

The new Hue packs come with a switch (was available separately) which is completely wireless and has a housing which sticks to the wall very neatly and allows the remote to fit in via magnet. Very good design and great if you're looking to have mood lighting and your switch in a more convenient location.

You can also run the lights of your phone/tablet. Very easy to use and allows you to select an array of different whites or colours.
I'd get it done properly so you don't have to mess about with it later. Not sure on price but will probably cost the same as buying hue products.
Original Poster
Thanks all,

Looks like another tech I need to research!

Quick searches and the Philips hue is a great option as a short/medium term solution. I can’t find much on Lutron, but searching the deals threads will help build up my understanding as to what bulb & controller combo suits me best.

I’d like to sort the wiring out LT, however having moved in recently and baby 2 on the way both time and money are tight atm.

I need this combo for two bedrooms, one bulb and cone controller per room. Saw the remote & bulb Philips deal at £30 most stores, but the bulb is 9.5kw, not sure this is bright enough to light a double room?

I think I’ve seen other stronger bulbs available, just need to look around now at deals.
The lights in my living room are recessed in the ceiling and we have never found that they give enough light. The solution I found was to use a mother and daughter type floor lamp - a 300w bulb and we have more than adequate lighting. Couple it with a Status remote control and you can control the lights without getting up from your chair.

I know this is not the solution you are thinking of but it would probably be a less expensive and certainly a trouble free solution for you. Technical knowledge required - NIL.
Pandray27 m ago

The lights in my living room are recessed in the ceiling and we have never …The lights in my living room are recessed in the ceiling and we have never found that they give enough light. The solution I found was to use a mother and daughter type floor lamp - a 300w bulb and we have more than adequate lighting. Couple it with a Status remote control and you can control the lights without getting up from your chair.I know this is not the solution you are thinking of but it would probably be a less expensive and certainly a trouble free solution for you. Technical knowledge required - NIL.

Assuming you have a 300W halogen bulb on for an average of 6 hours per day over a year this will cost you approximately £88/year.

I had one of those lamps once I got rid and replaced it with a 9W LED bulb! I saw the savings immediately in my electricity bill!

Further - from September 2018 most halogen bulbs will no longer be available for sale - lightinginsight.com/the…ow/
Edited by: "Van1973" 19th Sep 2017
Yes, thanks, I did realise how expensive it is to run a 300w lamp and the point you make is a very valid one although I don't use it for 6 hours a day! However, the point remains that a mother and daughter lamp could be an economic solution for the OP and depending on the wattage he selects, it need not be any more expensive to run than his present lights. I doubt if they still sell lamps with a 300w bulb - mine must be at least 10 or 15 years old.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants