Groups

Moving to a new place on Feb 1st. (Renting) - Cashback etc

-Things that need to be sorted.
    Advice needed and cheapest place to go for all.

House insurance
    Electric
    Gas
    Broadband/Line Rental

I am going to be moving to Oswestry. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

37 Comments

Banned

far to close - lol

Banned

on a serious note, the bottom two dont do deals, the others try the switch sites, comaprision sites, cahsback sites

House insurance
    Electric
    Gas
    Broadband/Line Rental
    Water
    TV License

TV License

dont pay

black gerbil1;7624991

dont pay

and risk prosecution.......?

Some Landlords wont let you change the electric and gas suppliers so check that in your tenancy. For BB - look online. O2 are cheap adn they have a great deal but that not start to March on phone line

Original Poster

sassie;7624957

far to close - lol

Easy Tiger.

sassie;7624978

on a serious note, the bottom two dont do deals, the others try the … on a serious note, the bottom two dont do deals, the others try the switch sites, comaprision sites, cahsback sitesHouse insurance Electric GasBroadband/Line RentalWaterTV License

Removed from the list.

black gerbil1;7624991

dont pay

Cheeky.

bargainhunter2009;7625009

Some Landlords wont let you change the electric and gas suppliers so … Some Landlords wont let you change the electric and gas suppliers so check that in your tenancy. For BB - look online. O2 are cheap adn they have a great deal but that not start to March on phone line

Ahh will look into that didn't think was the case, not mentioned anywhere, don't want them sticking me on a tarrif thats useless as I work at home.:)

Banned

adam where are you moving from? do you know shropshire

Original Poster

sassie;7625100

adam where are you moving from? do you know shropshire

Rhyl, N.Wales

Not much just getting used to Oswestry. The missus works there and I work at home.

Banned

Adam2050;7625116

Rhyl, N.WalesNot much just getting used to Oswestry. The missus works … Rhyl, N.WalesNot much just getting used to Oswestry. The missus works there and I work at home.

not much to get used to is there, pretty small isnt it?

Original Poster

sassie;7625121

not much to get used to is there, pretty small isnt it?

I feel that. Like an old market town. Feels small.

Banned

Adam2050;7625142

I feel that. Like an old market town. Feels small.

dont shrewsbury is much bigger, just not as rough :w00t:

Original Poster

sassie;7625151

Haven't heard anyone sayings its rough, it looks run down. What areas are rough?

Banned

Good luck in your new home :thumbsup:

Original Poster

DLM;7626757

Good luck in your new home :thumbsup:

Cheers:)

Original Poster

Looking at £15k cover @ £80 a year. Quite reasonable I thought with the Co-Op

Adam2050;7625167

Haven't heard anyone sayings its rough, it looks run down. What areas are … Haven't heard anyone sayings its rough, it looks run down. What areas are rough?

I lived in Oswestry up until a year or so ago...

Avoid places like College road, unless it's going into the new estate near it.. Also area at the bottom of side near Woodside school is a little rough...

Tbh Oswestry is a nice place, i wouldnt say any area is to rough and the people are nice... Just on a saturday night can be a bit like a war zone... Small pub town with all its late night pubs in one bit of town.. Can kick off a bit and everyone tends to know everyone..

Oswestry has a bit of a bad rep because you'll found people from oswestry will mostly fight with people in the neighbouring towns, bit of rivalry goes on.. Dunno why.. I mean even when i was in a club there years ago, someone came upto me and kicked off just because he thought i knew someone from oswestry.. Because he was from chirk lol.

Good places to drink are the iron works and the kings head.. The oak is a good place for a beer aswell.

Scottish Power - Dual Fuel do good rates in oswestry i found..

Original Poster

spritey;7641159

I lived in Oswestry up until a year or so ago...Avoid places like College … I lived in Oswestry up until a year or so ago...Avoid places like College road, unless it's going into the new estate near it.. Also area at the bottom of side near Woodside school is a little rough...Tbh Oswestry is a nice place, i wouldnt say any area is to rough and the people are nice... Just on a saturday night can be a bit like a war zone... Small pub town with all its late night pubs in one bit of town.. Can kick off a bit and everyone tends to know everyone..Oswestry has a bit of a bad rep because you'll found people from oswestry will mostly fight with people in the neighbouring towns, bit of rivalry goes on.. Dunno why.. I mean even when i was in a club there years ago, someone came upto me and kicked off just because he thought i knew someone from oswestry.. Because he was from chirk lol.Good places to drink are the iron works and the kings head.. The oak is a good place for a beer aswell.Scottish Power - Dual Fuel do good rates in oswestry i found..

Cheers for the advice. the place we are moving into is a cul-de-sac. Llys close.

Which isn't far from there.

]View map

Good luck with the move mate, and hope you save yourself some cash. The place me and the partner rented last year we ideally werent allowed to change the gas/electric unless it was changed back before we moved out. Which caused problems when we moved in as the idiots before us hadn't cancelled theirs and thus they tried charging us 250 units worth of electric.

Unless your heavy water users id try and ensure the water is metered as otherwise can be expensive.

For BB, TV and phone we went with Sky purely as there was a good cashback deal, and they worked out the cheapest per month with half decent customer service.

House insurance we got from barclays direct and charged us i believe it was £6.50 per month, and we were ground floor.

Adam2050;7641250

Cheers for the advice. the place we are moving into is a cul-de-sac. Llys … Cheers for the advice. the place we are moving into is a cul-de-sac. Llys close.Which isn't far from there.

cheers for the address...im coming over with a bottle to celebrate you moving in, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it now as i know where you live! :whistling:

awoodhall2003;7641287

cheers for the address...im coming over with a bottle to celebrate you … cheers for the address...im coming over with a bottle to celebrate you moving in, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it now as i know where you live! :whistling:

+1 party at adams anyone :?

micoo;7641334

+1 party at adams anyone :?

its 80miles from where i am in coventry...not too far...:whistling:

awoodhall2003;7641362

its 80miles from where i am in coventry...not too far...:whistling:

340 miles from me :lol:

micoo;7641397

340 miles from me :lol:

Adam will have to make it worth your while then ;-)
    Whole Weekend Party then! :-D

Banned

ok from the OH who rents..

when the landlord or agents should provide you with a inventory or conditions of the property list. make sure you go round the house and check the information on the list with a FINE tooth comb and make notes about marks or damage, to items, making sure you make precise notes on the inventory given to you, take a copy of this to give to the landlord and a copy for you, but be perhaps vague on damage so that after you mad party when we wreck your home you wont get penalised..

Things like bulbs broken in the oven etc make note about so you cant get blamed, perhaps the odd picture of marks etc, so that your deposit wont be kept by the landlord for spurious damage.

check on time of when the cash is being taken for rent so that its towards the end of the month so you dont go overdrawn before you get paid..

find out if the landlord is using an agent rather than some happ hazzard way of renting.

Adam2050;7641250

Cheers for the advice. the place we are moving into is a cul-de-sac. Llys … Cheers for the advice. the place we are moving into is a cul-de-sac. Llys close.Which isn't far from there.]View map

ROFL

I used to live on Llys close.. Just before we moved to Burton Upon Trent.

Nice little area yeah - a couple who are bikers are really cool people... Presume they still live there, you'll hear them weekend when they go off for a trip. Old lady across from number 12 (our old house) sits out when its sunny, if you've got any cats be prepared to lose them.. She tends to let them into her house.. At least did with ours, we'd wonder where they hell one of used to go when we first moved there.

Small world huh

Original Poster

awoodhall2003;7641275

Good luck with the move mate, and hope you save yourself some cash. The … Good luck with the move mate, and hope you save yourself some cash. The place me and the partner rented last year we ideally werent allowed to change the gas/electric unless it was changed back before we moved out. Which caused problems when we moved in as the idiots before us hadn't cancelled theirs and thus they tried charging us 250 units worth of electric.Unless your heavy water users id try and ensure the water is metered as otherwise can be expensive.For BB, TV and phone we went with Sky purely as there was a good cashback deal, and they worked out the cheapest per month with half decent customer service.House insurance we got from barclays direct and charged us i believe it was £6.50 per month, and we were ground floor.

Cheers will keep an eye on it. I am going through an estate agent that are pro active by the sounds of things with little details.

dog_cop;7641656

ok from the OH who rents..when the landlord or agents should provide you … ok from the OH who rents..when the landlord or agents should provide you with a inventory or conditions of the property list. make sure you go round the house and check the information on the list with a FINE tooth comb and make notes about marks or damage, to items, making sure you make precise notes on the inventory given to you, take a copy of this to give to the landlord and a copy for you, but be perhaps vague on damage so that after you mad party when we wreck your home you wont get penalised.. Things like bulbs broken in the oven etc make note about so you cant get blamed, perhaps the odd picture of marks etc, so that your deposit wont be kept by the landlord for spurious damage.check on time of when the cash is being taken for rent so that its towards the end of the month so you dont go overdrawn before you get paid..find out if the landlord is using an agent rather than some happ hazzard way of renting.

Same as the other statement, though thats good advice I will check it knowning me.

spritey;7642812

ROFLI used to live on Llys close.. Just before we moved to Burton Upon … ROFLI used to live on Llys close.. Just before we moved to Burton Upon Trent.Nice little area yeah - a couple who are bikers are really cool people... Presume they still live there, you'll hear them weekend when they go off for a trip. Old lady across from number 12 (our old house) sits out when its sunny, if you've got any cats be prepared to lose them.. She tends to let them into her house.. At least did with ours, we'd wonder where they hell one of used to go when we first moved there.Small world huh

Yeh its close to there. Are going to see if we can get a cat though I doubt will have a word.:thumbsup:

It's definitely a small world. Welcome to Shropshire

Original Poster

imafish2002;7644752

It's definitely a small world. Welcome to Shropshire

Cheers:thumbsup:

Nothing to add other than good luck with the move for you and your good lady. Moving is a pain in the ass so try and stay calm. lol

Original Poster

Syzable;7648673

Nothing to add other than good luck with the move for you and your good … Nothing to add other than good luck with the move for you and your good lady. Moving is a pain in the ass so try and stay calm. lol

I we have done it with a bit of spice, wedding plans at the same time. I'm going to do it in pieces due to a work line not being in place. So I will try not to stress, I am moving in first.:w00t:

bargainhunter2009;7625009

Some Landlords wont let you change the electric and gas suppliers so … Some Landlords wont let you change the electric and gas suppliers so check that in your tenancy.

They can't stop you.

Original Poster

thesaint;7649035

They can't stop you.

Explain:)

Adam2050;7649067

Explain:)

Only time you'll ever run into a problem of wanting to change gas / electricity supplier and landlord not allowing you, is if you're paying a fixed price rent which includes utilities.

Otherwise they can't make you stay on one provider, even if it had provisions in the tenancy agreement you signed.. It would be an unreasonable term of contract, so would not be enforceable..

Then again i’ve never heard that of happening before (Mainly as it's illegal), but more obviously at the end of the day why would the landlord care.. It affects him / her in no way what provider is billing the tenant, and if the landlord eventually lives in the property again.. They just switch providers back with a short 10 minute phone call.

Original Poster

spritey;7649100

Only time you'll ever run into a problem of wanting to change gas / … Only time you'll ever run into a problem of wanting to change gas / electricity supplier and landlord not allowing you, is if you're paying a fixed price rent which includes utilities.Otherwise they can't make you stay on one provider, even if it had provisions in the tenancy agreement you signed.. It would be an unreasonable term of contract, so would not be enforceable.. Then again i’ve never heard that of happening before (Mainly as it's illegal), but more obviously at the end of the day why would the landlord care.. It affects him / her in no way what provider is billing the tenant, and if the landlord eventually lives in the property again.. They just switch providers back with a short 10 minute phone call.

ahh okay.

Banned

sassie;7625151

Are you joking? Shrewsbury used to be nice, now its as rough as anywhere else. Was very surprised on my last few visits - really has gone down rapidly.

Also (to Adam)... Shropshire is a VERY backwards place. It's a bit like remote areas of Scotland or Wales really - very old school, most people don't know what a TV is etc. Thats why I got out early doors!

Odd mix of people who want to be Welsh, and others that want to be brummies.

Original Poster

vibeone;7659070

Are you joking? Shrewsbury used to be nice, now its as rough as anywhere … Are you joking? Shrewsbury used to be nice, now its as rough as anywhere else. Was very surprised on my last few visits - really has gone down rapidly.Also (to Adam)... Shropshire is a VERY backwards place. It's a bit like remote areas of Scotland or Wales really - very old school, most people don't know what a TV is etc. Thats why I got out early doors!Odd mix of people who want to be Welsh, and others that want to be brummies.

Like everywhere in this country my dear fellow. Left out to dry unless it's a money maker.

Been there done that.

Ahh will look out for mixed accents.

Banned

Adam2050;7659224

Like everywhere in this country my dear fellow. Left out to dry unless … Like everywhere in this country my dear fellow. Left out to dry unless it's a money maker.Been there done that.Ahh will look out for mixed accents.

When I get angry, occasionally my past accent comes out :P
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word survey11
      2. What would be HELL to you?2227
      3. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …813
      4. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710953

See more discussions