MP3: 320kbps or VBR V0?

Found 18th Jan 2013
Hi guys

I'm very confused with which to go for, the highest possible constant bit rate mp3 or the best variable bit rate one? Is there any difference in sound quality? I have heard that the VBR at a lower bit rate uses a different compression method and sounds just as good or even better than 320 CBR..

The vast majority of my music on my NAS is in FLAC, but my Cowon J3 MP3 player only has 64GB + 8GB internal space, so I need to put a lossy format on it. Ideally I wanted to put AAC, but there was a problem with trying to get them to scrobble to Last.fm via the Cowon, so I'm gunna go for MP3.

Is there any difference in sound quality?

Thanks.
Community Updates
Misc
3 Comments
If you're going to be using a portable device use V2, you can't tell the difference.

I download V0 though, its essentially the same as 320 but at a variable bit rate so any silence in tracks won't be at the same bit rate as a full orchestral sound.
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply

The Cowon is very powerful though and combined with a decent pair of headphones it might be a bit of a waste and noticeable lowering the quality?
Original Poster
On a similar note, is VBR likely to affect battery life much? I have heard that it uses slightly more processing power.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions