MP3 Large Storage iPod Classic Alternative?

Found 26th May 2012
Hi

Was just wondering if there are any alternatives to the 160GB iPod Classic? After searching around it would appear they have the market share in 100GB + sized MP3 players. But I'm quite reluctant to buy an MP3 player with a hard drive due to the failure rate of the old 3rd, 4th and 5th gen ones where basically everyone I know had the hard drive fail within 2 or 3 years.

If I spend that much, I'd prefer something different to an iPod and with flash memory. Also something where the manufactures don't make you jump through hoops to replace the battery.

Any thoughts on any decent large capacity MP3 players? It's strange to me how no other manufactures appear to be trying to challenge the 160GB iPod Classic. Also, if anyone can shed some light on the longevity of the 6th gen iPod Classics, it would be much appreciated?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

P.S. no comments about whether I need that much storage space. The fact of the matter is I want all my music on it and, given the choice, I'd prefer more storage space than 160GB
Community Updates
MiscAppleiPodStorage
3 Comments
You wont find any devices with more than 64gb of SSD storage. Hard disk wise the only other options I am aware of are the Archos models which go up to 500gb. See here but then again you have a trade off in size as it's a large device. Looking at recent phones and their screens seems to suggest people are not that bothered about size of a device any more however.

The only other alternative is the Wolverine which among other things is pug ugly and very much a device that you wont want to be showing off other than to geekier friends. I'm not even aware of it being available to the UK market but I'm sure a google will help find that out.

reviews.cnet.com/por…nfo
Thanks for the suggestions..

I think you'll find though that hard drives are generally more likely to fail due to the moving parts within them. I've also heard the battery is very hard to change in the iPod Classics. It looks like that might be my only option though.

I wonder why no one has released an MP3 player or Phone with a dual micro sd slot. It would really solve a lot of problems in regards to storage
chris2010uk

Thanks for the suggestions.. I think you'll find though that hard drives … Thanks for the suggestions.. I think you'll find though that hard drives are generally more likely to fail due to the moving parts within them. I've also heard the battery is very hard to change in the iPod Classics. It looks like that might be my only option though.I wonder why no one has released an MP3 player or Phone with a dual micro sd slot. It would really solve a lot of problems in regards to storage

I've had my 40gb iRiver player for 8 years now and still going strong. They are more susceptible to damage that is certain but a bit of careful handling will prevent that by just thinking about what you do with the player.
Edited by: "Astec123" 27th May 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants