Groups

MP4 vs MKV

For storing ripped DVD encoded in h.264.

Which is the best format? what advatages does one have over the other?

7 Comments

wont make any difference to a dvd

MP4 more compatibility, MKV better quality, have you tried google?

Original Poster

Ommid;5318116

Well yes i have, but it prefer to get things off of people i can talk to who can explain things as well.
    and besides there is a lot of conflicting/unclear information.

For one you are wrong. The quality of either MKV or MP4 is of no consequence as they are just containers holding the video encoded in h.264 (the settings of which determine quality). Thank you for demonstrating why i ask questions rather than taking my interpretations of what i read on Google as be all, end all verbatim.

My question relates to capabilities of the containers.

Why is it people always seem to ask whether or not you have used Google, its pretty damn condescending.

You should probably ask the folks over at afterdawn.com or doom9 for the real nitty gritty.
    As far as can remember mkv supports practically every codec i think mp4 is restricted, audio in particular. MKV supports trueHD audio and all that jazz whereas mp4 doesn't.

But if you're going to play them on a ps3 or xbox go for mp4 and keep in mind the xbox can only handle 2 channel stereo when converting. Though it is relatively quick and easy to convert mkv to mp4 anyway.... afterdawn.com/gui…cfm.

Jetpac;5318235

Well yes i have, but it prefer to get things off of people i can talk to … Well yes i have, but it prefer to get things off of people i can talk to who can explain things as well.and besides there is a lot of conflicting/unclear information.For one you are wrong. The quality of either MKV or MP4 is of no consequence as they are just containers holding the video encoded in h.264 (the settings of which determine quality). Thank you for demonstrating why i ask questions rather than taking my interpretations of what i read on Google as be all, end all verbatim.My question relates to capabilities of the containers.Why is it people always seem to ask whether or not you have used Google, its pretty damn condescending.

I am not wrong at all, even though the video quality is like for like, MKV files can carry 5.1 audio as standard, where is it isn't that simple with MP4, hence overall better quality (even if it is only sound quality)

Why not do two samples and compare them?

Ommid

Interesting, indeedy. Talking about "quality" in the sense of a container. As far as I'm concerned, MKV is better all the way. The support for ISO-standardized MP4/ISOM is actually quite limited on stand-alones, and just about every device that can handle .mp4 can also handle Matroska. Thing is, I believe MKV is the future, it's an all-round container that is getting recognition worldwide. It simply suit everyone's needs.
    deathtrap3000

Why not do two samples and compare them?

Like I said, we're discussion a media container, not an encoder. The main concern is compatibility versus support for a wide range of formats. Major consumer products (eg. LG/Samsung LCD television sets) have implemented native MKV support in their media centers, which is a good thing really. There are most definitely more to come.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4542123
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp1122
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546

See more discussions