Groups

"Mr T Snickers ad pulled for being offensive to gay people" Guardian. (Reactions invited)

So here it is - either an opportunity for the usual suspects to make comments like: "What is this country coming to?", "This is PC gone mad!", or even "The country is being run by lunatics! * OR * will there be more reflective posts, discussing the issues this raises in a fair and balanced way? Indeed, how many will try to see things from both sides of the argument instead of taking the lazy route and confidently asserting their prejudices? Time will tell. I'm staying out of this one and just watching.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr T Snickers ad pulled for being offensive to gay people

* Mark Sweney, guardian.co.uk, Monday July 28 2008

Mars has pulled a UK TV ad for Snickers featuring Mr T harassing a speed walker for being a "disgrace to the man race" after US complaints that it was offensive to gay people.

The American confectionary giant pulled the Snickers ad even though it was never shown on TV in the US - as happened last month with the Heinz Deli Mayo ad featuring two men kissing.

The Snickers ad, made by the same agency that caused an international furore with the Heinz male kiss commercial, was first broadcast in the UK on July 13.

The commercial, by ad agency AMV BBDO, features Mr T in full-on BA Baracus mode, the character he played in The A-Team.

It opens with Mr T crashing through a building on the back of a flatbed truck mounted with a Snickers-firing machine gun.

Mr T pulls alongside a man in tight yellow shorts who is speed walking and growls: "Speed walking. I pity you fool. You a disgrace to the man race. It's time to run like a real man."

He then opens fire, peppering the man with Snickers bars and forcing him to break into a run.

In the UK the TV ad barely ruffled feathers, the Advertising Standards Authority said.

The ASA received just two complaints and did not investigate the commercial for a possible breach of the advertising code.

However, the ad caused a storm overseas. A US advertising industry title published an open letter challenging Omnicom, AMV BBDO's American parent company.

The Human Rights Campaign criticised Mars for perpetuating "the notion that the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community is a group of second class citizens and that violence against GLBT people is not only acceptable, but humorous".

Mars said that the ad was meant to be "fun", that it never intended to cause offence and has pulled the campaign.

"This ad is the second in a series of UK Snickers Ads featuring Mr T, which are meant to be fun and have been positively received in the UK," said a spokeswoman for Mars.

"However, we understand that humour is highly subjective, and it is never our intention to cause offense. Accordingly, we have pulled the Mr T Speedwalker ad globally."

33 Comments

What is this country coming to?, this is PC gone mad!

The country is being run by lunatics!

Sweet living jebus. What a joke.

It's getting beyond a joke now.

This is PC gone mad!

I actually despise Political Correctness, it's the minority of the majority not wanting to offend the minorities who don't actually care...

if it is on youtube could someone post a link so I can comment on it, I dont watch TV much so have not seen it yet..

These crazy fools need to quit their jibba jabber!

The "offending" advert:
    youtube.com/wat…7ko

I kinda don't get how it can offend gay people? At no point is the man pointed out to be gay. Surely the only way someone might come to such a conclusion is by the way he is walking at the beginning and, furthermore, drawing a conclusion based on the fact that the man is a bit "camp" would be offensive in its own right?

Hmm.

does that mean all power walkers are gay?

the way he is walking "stereotypes" how we would think gay people would walk or speed walking is the type of activity they would do. , the end of the advert says "get some nuts" don't help its cause.

Yea.. that is not offensive. Might be offensive to speed walkers but thats a different matter hehe

ctuk;2619387

does that mean all power walkers are gay?

and does it mean all gays are power walkers :?

As above, are the complainers implying all speed walkers are gay? Having looked at the ad I would say the message is more be a man (army stylee) not a wimp. Don't really see where gay comes into it tbh:?

Yet Yorkie still say "IT'S NOT FOR GIRLS" surely that's more of a problem than this advert (Not that i find either of them to be a problem)

Seems it's only the US moaning anyway, only two complaints from UK people

I pity the ****wits who complained about this ad. How could anyone possibly get 'offensive to gay people' from that? These pathetic, worthless little creeps must sit around 24/7 looking for ANYTHING to apply offence to. I highly doubt whoever got this ad pulled is even gay - no gay person with the slightest hint of a life would take offence to this.

Mr. T needs to **** these mind-numbing PC idiots right up.

peodude;2619482

only two complaints from UK people

Probably some speed walkers

Banned

duckmagicuk2;2619382

The "offending" advert:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2tz5LfH7koI kinda … The "offending" advert:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2tz5LfH7koI kinda don't get how it can offend gay people? At no point is the man pointed out to be gay. Surely the only way someone might come to such a conclusion is by the way he is walking at the beginning and, furthermore, drawing a conclusion based on the fact that the man is a bit "camp" would be offensive in its own right?Hmm.

BINGO Ducky!

In fact the notion that all gay people dress like Richard Simmons and go speed walking is surely more offensive in itself!

Lock these PC fools up!!

ctuk;2619514

Probably some speed walkers

There's a lot of speed wa*kers on this forum :giggle:

I PITY THE FOOLS that complained

oh no, cant have real men now can we ...

Karim786;2619738

oh no, cant have real men now can we ...

real men are just a myth

This is stupid!

What is this country coming to?, this is PC gone mad!

The country is being run by lunatics!

There is still a fair part of America that is uptight. They don't mind gay comedies as long as that actors playing the role are straight in real life. They like to call themselves the land of the free, but they're not. They get far too offended at things us Brits don't even raise an eyelid to. They have not evolved to be as open minded as we are yet.
    And why do Americans think they have better comedies/humour than we do, they clearly have no sense of humour if they banned this!
    and they say we have a stiff upper lip.....

If the speed walker was fat then the Americans wouldn't of found it so offensive.

Do you think we need to complain to Mars to see if we can get the ad back? On the basis that it isn't actually offensive to gay people?

As mentioned, I do believe that the "shame to the man race" is saying he's a wimp and should be more tough, rather than anything else and think it's probably more offensive to gay people for the PC brigade to sterotype them and suggest that the person in this clip MUST be gay because of the way he is acting? Hmm.

Where did all the complaints come from? Someone must have started a hate campaign/controversy about the ad in the US given that it wasn't shown on TV there.

Should have a majority rules vote before they pull ads. This is gone beyond a joke. I hate all this PC madness........

Let's start brainstorming....oops.....now i've offended those with epilepsy.......

Lets have a mindshower :whistling:

choc1969;2620220

Should have a majority rules vote before they pull ads. This is gone … Should have a majority rules vote before they pull ads. This is gone beyond a joke. I hate all this PC madness........Let's start brainstorming....oops.....now i've offended those with epilepsy.......Lets have a mindshower :whistling:

Do you listen to Radio 4's "The Now Show" by any chance?

duckmagicuk2;2621557

Do you listen to Radio 4's "The Now Show" by any chance?

No, I work with adolescents and have been given a list of words by Social Services that I can't use.......:x

Just showed the video to the wife and asked why it was pulled. No idea she said so I told her it was because it was anti gay. What did she say?

"So they assume he's gay just because he's got yellow shorts on????"

So Liddle, yeah it is madness, says more about the complainers reading stuff that isn't there than the rest of us really :thumbsup:

Banned

uk.youtube.com/wat…6fU

all the links above have been removed so here's a new link
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just an thought regarding Paypal22
      2. Best Custom ROM for XIaomi Redmi Note 234
      3. Finally got a Xbox one s11
      4. Rain effect window. The one from FRIENDS! Please help!56

See more discussions