MR16 light bulbs - can you replace 20w bulbs with 50w?

Posted 1st Jan 2015
I have a bunch of 20w mr16 spotlights in a room.
The room is a bit dark so I thought maybe I should stick more powerful bulbs in there like in the good old days when you could stick a 100w 'normal' bulb in place of a 60w
So I bought some 50w mr16 bulbs and swapped out the 20w bulbs.
The room does not seem to be any brighter. The new bulbs seem to be putting out the same light as the older weaker ones.

Are these bulbs not interchangeable then? Or is there something else that needs to be done/changed in the ceiling space?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    mutley1
    i can't see why it shouldn't be brighter unless you got dodgy bulbs.

possibly the transformers are low powered.
    justanothercid
    the transformer will not have enough wattage need to see or upgrade it..
    Villa Author
    I just went and put the 50w bulbs back in to check again.
    The room is definitely no brighter.

There are 6 spot lights in 2 rows of 3.
    After leaving the lights on for about 20 minutes with nothing happening other than the lights being as bright as the previous 20w bulbs, suddenly now every minute or two one of the rows of 3 lights goes out for about 20 seconds and comes back on again.

I've changed the bulbs back to 20w again and the room brightness is till the same, but the lights all stay on now.

So given this, should I assume that I am stuck with 20w bulbs? or do you think maybe I might get away with 35w bulbs?
    If I find the transformer, will there be something on it that indicates maximum power or whatever? sorry I'm no good with electrics.

Thanks.
    kash2013
    The problem is looking at the post is the transformer you have might have a maximum rating of 60w, so it wont go higher by putting in 50w bulbs. But if u was to put in led bulbs of a high rating u would still not exceed 60w but would get alot more light as leds are lower power. the only thing i see is that the transformer will also have a min power rating of 20w, so u would 3 bulbs totaling at least 20w. If two bulbs were working and one went and the power levels fell below 20w the bulbs will start to flash.

try these. Just an example.

ebay.co.uk/itm…b23
    ricko
    Villa , are your spots in the kitchen or in a lounge/living room ?

The reason I ask is I want to put up 6 GU10 LED spots in my living room . Argos are selling a nice set for £35 , but reading the reviews all the buyers mention they have put them in the kitchen which is a conventional room for spotlights I know .
    I don't see any pictures of LED's in lounge's or living rooms.

So, if yours arn't in the kitchen , do they look good ........................however darker ?
    mutley1
    ricko

Villa , are your spots in the kitchen or in a lounge/living room ? The … Villa , are your spots in the kitchen or in a lounge/living room ? The reason I ask is I want to put up 6 GU10 LED spots in my living room . Argos are selling a nice set for £35 , but reading the reviews all the buyers mention they have put them in the kitchen which is a conventional room for spotlights I know . I don't see any pictures of LED's in lounge's or living rooms.So, if yours arn't in the kitchen , do they look good ........................however darker ?

i have them in the living room and they look great. they suit modern slick properties so don't do it in a victorian house, it will look out of place.
    Villa Author
    ricko

Villa , are your spots in the kitchen or in a lounge/living room ? The … Villa , are your spots in the kitchen or in a lounge/living room ? The reason I ask is I want to put up 6 GU10 LED spots in my living room . Argos are selling a nice set for £35 , but reading the reviews all the buyers mention they have put them in the kitchen which is a conventional room for spotlights I know . I don't see any pictures of LED's in lounge's or living rooms.So, if yours arn't in the kitchen , do they look good ........................however darker ?

I have MR16 lights in a number of upstairs rooms.
    I have GU10 lights in the kitchen.

Both types of lights look good IMO - the gu10 are a lot brighter - a lot.
    mutley1
    Villa

I just went and put the 50w bulbs back in to check again.The room is … I just went and put the 50w bulbs back in to check again.The room is definitely no brighter.There are 6 spot lights in 2 rows of 3.After leaving the lights on for about 20 minutes with nothing happening other than the lights being as bright as the previous 20w bulbs, suddenly now every minute or two one of the rows of 3 lights goes out for about 20 seconds and comes back on again.I've changed the bulbs back to 20w again and the room brightness is till the same, but the lights all stay on now.So given this, should I assume that I am stuck with 20w bulbs? or do you think maybe I might get away with 35w bulbs?If I find the transformer, will there be something on it that indicates maximum power or whatever? sorry I'm no good with electrics.Thanks.

if you don't understand electrics then best leave it. the transformers will have the power rating written on them and they will be in the ceiling attached to each bulb if they are multiples or it will be somewhere central if it is singular. i would stick to 20W if i were you or get an electrician to install higher rating transformers.

personally, i would get rid of the transformers and go for LEDs which will be brighter and less troublesome.
    ricko
    Cheers for the replys ,chaps .

These are the lights I want :

[image missing]

[/URL][/img]

but hadn't seen them in a lounge etc . I live in a terraced flat built in 1905 ,mutley1 , do you think they'll look carp ?

mutley1
    ricko

Cheers for the replys ,chaps .These are the lights I want … Cheers for the replys ,chaps .These are the lights I want :[/url][/img]but hadn't seen them in a lounge etc . I live in a terraced flat built in 1905 ,mutley1 , do you think they'll look carp ?

definately for the kitchen mate. for lounge, spot lights only works if they are fitted flush into the ceiling and as your flat is victorian, i think spot lights will be out of place.
    ricko
    mutley1

definately for the kitchen mate. for lounge, spot lights only works if … definately for the kitchen mate. for lounge, spot lights only works if they are fitted flush into the ceiling and as your flat is victorian, i think spot lights will be out of place.

cheers , that's what I thought so didn't go head and order them . I'm still stuck for a ceiling light , been on all the sites for days now and cannot see anything to replace my single bulb in a 4 fan motor mount. Any suggestions ? go to be GU10 bulbs
    (edited)
    mutley1
    ricko

cheers , that's what I thought so didn't go head and order them . I'm … cheers , that's what I thought so didn't go head and order them . I'm still stuck for a ceiling light , been on all the sites for days now and cannot see anything to replace my single bulb in a 4 fan motor mount. Any suggestions ? go to be GU10 bulbs

what's your fascination with gu10 bulbs?
    ugly those fan ceiling lights.
    ricko
    mutley1

what's your fascination with gu10 bulbs? ugly those fan ceiling lights.

the GU10's are bright and cheap to run and I'm sick of the big economy light bulbs I've been using for years .
    Yes ,those ceiling fan's are ugly ,very handy in the summer both don't look nice.
    mutley1
    ricko

the GU10's are bright and cheap to run and I'm sick of the big economy … the GU10's are bright and cheap to run and I'm sick of the big economy light bulbs I've been using for years .Yes ,those ceiling fan's are ugly ,very handy in the summer both don't look nice.

what about these? googled spot lights images and this one would be suitable for the lounge

[image missing]

kash2013
    are these the ones u find in the ladies hair salons. and have the landed on this planet yet.
    mutley1
    kash2013

are these the ones u find in the ladies hair salons. and have the landed … are these the ones u find in the ladies hair salons. and have the landed on this planet yet.

they look cool to me.
    ricko
    Cheers , mutley1. I did search for spots but hadn't seen anything like those before . In fact , I like the idea of those fitted onto the fan .

Not to keen on the hair dryers , sinks and large mirrors in the same room though :-)
    mutley1
    ricko

Cheers , mutley1. I did search for spots but hadn't seen anything like … Cheers , mutley1. I did search for spots but hadn't seen anything like those before . In fact , I like the idea of those fitted onto the fan .Not to keen on the hair dryers , sinks and large mirrors in the same room though :-)

they aint cheap mate. i certainly have an eye for quality. (_;)
    was shocked when i clicked on the link to the retailer. oO

shoreditchlighting.co.uk/eye…asp
    Villa Author
    mutley1

they aint cheap mate. i certainly have an eye for quality. (_;)was … they aint cheap mate. i certainly have an eye for quality. (_;)was shocked when i clicked on the link to the retailer. oOhttp://www.shoreditchlighting.co.uk/eyeball-6-retro-spotlights-in-white-1159-p.asp

Oh dear that price is as bad as the lights
    ricko
    mutley1

they aint cheap mate. i certainly have an eye for quality. (_;)was … they aint cheap mate. i certainly have an eye for quality. (_;)was shocked when i clicked on the link to the retailer. oOhttp://www.shoreditchlighting.co.uk/eyeball-6-retro-spotlights-in-white-1159-p.asp

I'm sitting up in hospital typing this , I feel a lot better now . Don't know what happened but I just clicked on your link and found the 'Eyeball 6' Retro Spotlights in Chrome £349.95' and they tell me I had a heart attack.
's avatar
Top Merchants