Groups

M&S to close dozens of stores and have a huge shakeup! Large numbers of jobs possibly at risk?

Editor
    Apparently M&S CEO Steve Rowe has decided to shake things up by reorganising or closing dozens of stores. some stores may also be relocated!

On top of that there are reports that clothing will take a bit of a back seat and therefore be sold in less stores overall, as their food dept seems to be storming it and becomingever popular.

There doesn't seem to be anything set in stone just yet, although the closure of so many stores could indeed mean huge job losses over the next few years. Official announcements on the changes should follow as soon as next week.

This "Seismic shift" is all in aid of bringing the M&S performance up, after recent uninspiring results. Time will tell and I'll try and update with any more info as and when I see anything. Hopefully the job losses will be kept to a minimum, although according to Sky news " Mr Rowe has proposed axing more than 500 head office jobs in an attempt to exert a tighter grip on its cost-base."

News source Here

27 Comments

This has been coming for a while but the tough economic conditions we could be facing put M&S in an even more precarious position. I'm not sure if moving further towards groceries is a great idea to be honest. Fingers crossed for them because they're a massive employer and a good store.

The outlet and main store by myself are awful...It seems like they don't want to cater for the younger generation. Hate going in to the store it's like the walking dead in there oh and the smell of pee and nivea tops it off as well.

no doubt they will blame "Brexit" for it

PS Brexit hasnt actually happend yet

I'm surprised that the clothing section hasn't done so well - I've always found the quality of their suits very good and reasonably priced. I've noticed that their food section usually markets to whatever is popular at the moment so I'm not surprised it is doing well.

Hopefully there will be very minimal cuts.

psmith1958

no doubt they will blame "Brexit" for itPS Brexit hasnt actually happend … no doubt they will blame "Brexit" for itPS Brexit hasnt actually happend yet

They'll likely point to the fall in the value of the Pound making groceries more expensive which has two effects - firstly it means people have less disposable income to spend on discretionary purchases like clothes but what could be worse is that people turn to cheaper food retailers.

M&S exists in a very awkward position in the market so they need a strong economy.

ThugBasher

The smell of pee and nivea tops it off as well.

You're not one of those funny people that go to M&S to get a whiff of pee and Nivea are you?

ThugBasher

The outlet and main store by myself are awful... The smell of pee and … The outlet and main store by myself are awful... The smell of pee and nivea tops it off as well.

Predikuesi

You're not one of those funny people that go to M&S to get a whiff of pee … You're not one of those funny people that go to M&S to get a whiff of pee and Nivea are you?

Sounds very much like a personal hygiene problem.

psmith1958

no doubt they will blame "Brexit" for itPS Brexit hasnt actually happend … no doubt they will blame "Brexit" for itPS Brexit hasnt actually happend yet

I doubt it, jobs got nothing to do with IN or OUT of Europe over a long term. If IN creates jobs then the whole world would be just all IN. And since IN from 1973, where is the evidence for creation of jobs?! Just look at USA, Canada , Australia, how does one think they create jobs?
    Edited by: "splender" 4th Nov 2016

When i was a young lad, i did a bit of temping work, i worked in various factories for a few months and one of them was Park Cakes..

anyhoo, I always remember they had a contract for Tesco & M&S and it was about September and we were making Mince Pies in prep for Xmas, I found it funny that the same pies went in the different stores boxes, no difference at all, except the final price of course.

haritori

When i was a young lad, i did a bit of temping work, i worked in various … When i was a young lad, i did a bit of temping work, i worked in various factories for a few months and one of them was Park Cakes..anyhoo, I always remember they had a contract for Tesco & M&S and it was about September and we were making Mince Pies in prep for Xmas, I found it funny that the same pies went in the different stores boxes, no difference at all, except the final price of course.

Me too

M&S has moved away from its roots of selling quality basics and that's what's hurt its business.
    They haven't kept in touch with what their customers want and now they're suffering.

haritori

When i was a young lad, i did a bit of temping work, i worked in various … When i was a young lad, i did a bit of temping work, i worked in various factories for a few months and one of them was Park Cakes..anyhoo, I always remember they had a contract for Tesco & M&S and it was about September and we were making Mince Pies in prep for Xmas, I found it funny that the same pies went in the different stores boxes, no difference at all, except the final price of course.

That happens a lot. I worked for 2 days in an office supplies company, manufacturing screen wipes, floor cleaner, hand wash etc and everything came out of the same giant chemical vat.

haritori

I found it funny that the same pies went in the different stores boxes, … I found it funny that the same pies went in the different stores boxes, no difference at all, except the final price of course.

Same happens in many factories - including handbags! Same product, different label - vastly different price!

I need some new bedroom furniture.... wonder if now is a great time to buy?

#bargainvulture

listeners invited to email/text/phone in to `you and yours` - bbc radio 4 - in order to discuss M&S.

programme on air 12.15 hours today.

bbc.co.uk/pro…825

i've never seen bedroom furniture in M&S.

RCUK - why not help people down on their luck and see if emmaus can help you?

emmaus.org.uk/rec…ure

The food and wine sections are OK, something happened to their underwear though, the trunks went tight, they were up the crack of my bum and felt like a jock strap at the front end, I was walking around like john Inman, not good for site work getting wolf whistles from blokes

Some of their stuff is still high quality but the highstreet has changed so much and people seem to want cheaper stuff (unsurprisingly). So they're in a weird position where they can't compete on price with stuff like Primark but they don't have the cache of the slightly more expensive brands.

Personally I think they make great shirts but that's about it. You can get some nice trousers and they went through a period of having some nice tweeds in but apart from that they're probably lacking.

Food wise they're ok but nothing special. If you're at the station then they're usually the best option and that's about it.

Banned

Crikey.

Didn't blame Brexit!!! oO

ICBMiss

Crikey.Didn't blame Brexit!!! oO

Apart from the falling value of the pound, comment #5.... C'mon

stuarthanley

Apart from the falling value of the pound, comment #5.... C'mon

Actually that's a comment on how changing market conditions could impact them going forward rather than the position they find themselves in now.

Obviously you agree with the points in the post though.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Actually that's a comment on how changing market conditions could impact … Actually that's a comment on how changing market conditions could impact them going forward rather than the position they find themselves in now. Obviously you agree with the points in the post though.

Why is it obvious? I'd have another think about that if I were you.
    Edited by: "SJHan" 8th Nov 2016

stuarthanley

Why is it obvious? I'd have another think about that if I were you.

Feel free to point out where you don't agree and I'll happily help you out.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Feel free to point out where you don't agree and I'll happily help you … Feel free to point out where you don't agree and I'll happily help you out.

See my other comments and we'll leave it at that, shall we? Can't be bothered with your trolling BS.

M&S have been in a right state for far to long, the new problem is the guy in charge has been there for so long he cant even see whats wrong. I often go into the M&S café in our local, standing in the queue for 10 minutes talking / over hearing customers and its clear what is wrong, everyone says the same thing. Shows are to grey who ever decided that grey was a good colour, the newer food markets are to dark, the last 2 years their Christmas decorations looked so bad it was unbelievable, poor quality cardboard reindeers. Prices are to high, and most products are still aimed at the older generations. In my 40s and if I want a pair of work trousers at a sensible price you just cant get them from there. One that often enrages the women is the difference in sizes, recently found a 3 pair of dress trousers all the same size on the ticket but an inch and a half different in size.

If management started to think about customers rather than their wage packet, and actually talked to them I am sure the stores would be doing a lot better and jobs would be safe.

They've been struggling along the same path for a while so although I regret job losses, I think it's worth a try for the health of overall company.
    If my local gets downgraded to food only I can live with that, assuming you can still get web merchandise orders delivered there!

just like bhs without the food. they were good when they sold tv's.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767497
      2. Bearded chat815
      3. What would be HELL to you?3358
      4. One for the mathmaticians2948

See more discussions