MSE Cheap Energy Club Big Switch 9 £25 cashback - collective gas/ elec switch deal - best on market for 2 year fix - but can it be beaten on a 12 month fix? Yes it can: Avro, tonik or OneSelect are all cheaper

Found 23rd JanEdited by:"luvsadealdealdeal"
The MSE 9th Big Switch is busy gathering names/ switches. I checked out whether it's better than my current deal, and it's not. My current supplier is Bulb and they only have one tariff, variable not fixed, but it IS the cheapest gas/ elec deal on the market, well at least for my postcode, YMMV
clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/che…f1b

Now, I'm wanting to fix and of course the MSE £25 cashback looks good. You can't beat them on their 24 month fix when cashback is taken into account. However, the annual cost of the 2 year fix is quite high compared to 12 month fixes.

BUT on a 12 month fix, all 3 I mentioned - Avro, tonik or OneSelect - are all cheaper (for my postcode). Check it out yourself on uSwitch.com - you'll need to click the button at the end of your comparison, that shows other deals uSwitch can't switch you to.

All 3 - Avro, tonik or OneSelect - allow early exit with no penalty fees, whereas the MSE 2 year fix would charge £35/ fuel - to be fair, their 12 month fix is early exit fee-free as well.

So I switched to Avro for 12 months' peace of mind plus the flexibility to switch at any time fee-free if a better deal comes up. No cashback for me - but I'm saving more money over the year. Switching to Avro took about 60 seconds on the computer.

Fair play to Bulb, my ex-supplier - they have been excellent in every respect, they refunded my early exit fees from a previous supplier (and I got £25 cashback from MSE for switching) and I would thoroughly recommend them as the cheapest variable supplier. But they don't offer a 12 month fix.
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
10 Comments
I joined MSE last year to change my energy supplier, found it really easy and the cash back was a bonus especially as I picked John Lewis for my vouchers but there was a problem with supplying them so we were given cash instead. About to switch again but I cannot remember how many weeks I need left in my account before I can switch as I have no wish to pay an exit fee....
Thanks for the post .
Original Poster
fleurdecosse2 m ago

I joined MSE last year to change my energy supplier, found it really easy …I joined MSE last year to change my energy supplier, found it really easy and the cash back was a bonus especially as I picked John Lewis for my vouchers but there was a problem with supplying them so we were given cash instead. About to switch again but I cannot remember how many weeks I need left in my account before I can switch as I have no wish to pay an exit fee....Thanks for the post .

49 days
mod
Hi @luvsadealdealdeal , thanks for posting. I've moved this to Misc though.
Original Poster
andywedge5 m ago

Hi @luvsadealdealdeal , thanks for posting. I've moved this to Misc though.

thanks on behalf of all the many thousands of HUKD users who now won't see it & save money

what a great service you provide
mod
luvsadealdealdeal4 m ago

thanks on behalf of all the many thousands of HUKD users who now won't see …thanks on behalf of all the many thousands of HUKD users who now won't see it & save moneywhat a great service you provide

If you disagree with a moderator decision, please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forum to send a brief description.
We don't however allow deals for third party affiliate sites
Tried it several times - The MSE "big switch" always works out much more expensive than doing your own comparison then after finding a few of the best deals ,check TCB /Quidco for current cashbacks then switch to the nett cheapest - takes 10 mins max and always saves an extra 10% (at least ) over the MSE deal . However it can be a good thing for those who never bother to compare their current deal .
Edited by: "rogparki" 23rd Jan
Original Poster
rogparki10 m ago

Tried it several times - The MSE "big switch" always works out much more …Tried it several times - The MSE "big switch" always works out much more expensive than doing your own comparison then after finding a few of the best deals ,check TCB /Quidco for current cashbacks then switch to the nett cheapest - takes 10 mins max and always saves an extra 10% (at least ) over the MSE deal .

my saving is not 10% but more like 5% - still worth having on a £1200 bill
luvsadealdealdeal4 m ago

my saving is not 10% but more like 5% - still worth having on a £1200 bill …my saving is not 10% but more like 5% - still worth having on a £1200 bill

To be fair to MSE they do state that they take half the cashback to help fund their site . Which unless you are a bit slow ,flags up that you can get a better deal doing it yourself with some minor effort .
Edited by: "rogparki" 23rd Jan
Original Poster
rogparki24 m ago

To be fair to MSE they do state that they take half the cashback to help …To be fair to MSE they do state that they take half the cashback to help fund their site . Which unless you are a bit slow ,flags up that you can get a better deal doing it yourself with some minor effort .

exactly - my search on uSwitch was about 60 seconds, my fiddling about to see if Avro are OK was a couple more minutes, then my switch was 60 seconds
As you allude to in the OP, different postcodes will garner different results.

One things for certain though, if you do it yourself you'll save the £25 (ish) per fuel commission fee.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions