multi millionaire celebrities asking us to support charity really makes me mad

Found 23rd Mar 2012
I have made a donation to sport relief tonight as it is a good cause
Community Updates
Misc
138 Comments
David Beckham was on asking us to support this Charity, I would be much more impressed if he said he was giving one years salary to this cause, £50m,

Paul McCartney is the same, he is worth £800m he could give £100m and not even miss it but they come on TV, "giving their time" - more like raising their profile further
Edited by: "miles136" 23rd Mar 2012
http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/1952861/81511145.jpg
Sorry just had too, Ive done my bit i raised about 200+ last year for comic relief, which only about 150 probably got to the kids etc
Which multi millionaire celebrities do you mean exactly?
They do donate however as sad as it is it is them that make more people donate

I personally havent donated to Sports Relief as I think Footballers get paid enough already
I look at it this way, just because others don't do it, doesn't mean that I won't. Someone has to help. Just hope that one day in heaven or wherever it's recognised that you did your bit.
There are 62m people in the UK. If everyone gave £1, they would double the current total. £1. Just £1.

Or are you suggesting all the millionaire celebrities you speak of, who no doubt give more to charity that you could ever earn in a lifetime, give more money whilst you the viewers get free entertainment?

Glad you have given a donation, but you should have left it there.

Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 23rd Mar 2012
I always support these things, and some celebs really do a lot of work, but other think its ok to do a piece to camara and we all have to give just cos they say, most of them are greedy bar!"£$%
miles136

I always support these things, and some celebs really do a lot of work, … I always support these things, and some celebs really do a lot of work, but other think its ok to do a piece to camara and we all have to give just cos they say, most of them are greedy bar!"£$%

Like who?
JTT, celebrities etc are grossly overpaid though. If they had 100m then could give 95m of that and still live like a king/queen. People like Bill Gates are doing the right thing though, I think he's giving like 90% or something away to good causes.
miles136

David Beckham was on asking us to support this Charity, I would be much … David Beckham was on asking us to support this Charity, I would be much more impressed if he said he was giving one years salary to this cause, £50m,Paul McCartney is the same, he is worth £800m he could give £100m and not even miss it but they come on TV, "giving their time" - more like raising their profile further

How much money do David Beckham and Paul McCartney give to charity each year?
Plus people give just cos they like the celebrity etc. There's no way I'd raise over 1m by swimming the Thames, so it's an unfair comparison.
This thread is moronic.
greatest666

How much money do David Beckham and Paul McCartney give to charity each … How much money do David Beckham and Paul McCartney give to charity each year?

Nowhere near as much as they should!!

Does David deserve to be rich? Ok so he's pretty good at football, but that's not helping anyone, surely not worth millions?
JonnyTwoToes

There are 62m people in the UK. If everyone gave £1, they would double … There are 62m people in the UK. If everyone gave £1, they would double the current total. £1. Just £1.Or are you suggesting all the millionaire celebrities you speak of, who no doubt give more to charity that you could ever earn in a lifetime, give more money whilst you the viewers get free entertainment?Glad you have given a donation, but you should have left it there.

I always think of the £1 per person donation thing it is correct, and even if I do not watch I still give, but if I were in the position of giving loads more I would, I have a portfolio of charities I give to every month.

Think of it this way if I ear £100 per year and give £10 I am infact giving in real terms the same as person on £50m per year giving £5m

There is far too much greed in this world
Benjimoron

Nowhere near as much as they should!!Does David deserve to be rich? Ok so … Nowhere near as much as they should!!Does David deserve to be rich? Ok so he's pretty good at football, but that's not helping anyone, surely not worth millions?

How much should they give?
miles136

I always think of the £1 per person donation thing it is correct, and … I always think of the £1 per person donation thing it is correct, and even if I do not watch I still give, but if I were in the position of giving loads more I would, I have a portfolio of charities I give to every month. Think of it this way if I ear £100 per year and give £10 I am infact giving in real terms the same as person on £50m per year giving £5mThere is far too much greed in this world

Yep, expect if you had £100 then chances are you wouldn't realisticly have spare money to help others. I'm sure someone with £50m has quite a bit of spare money!!
Benjimoron

Plus people give just cos they like the celebrity etc. There's no way I'd … Plus people give just cos they like the celebrity etc. There's no way I'd raise over 1m by swimming the Thames, so it's an unfair comparison.

true but at least david welliams did something more than just saying why dont you give some money, well done him
greatest666

Enough to leave them with say a couple of million. He could have a nice house or two, not have to work, eat nice food, have nice holidays, drive nice cars. There's no need for anymore than that.
greatest666

well like was said above if you have £100m how much do you really need? I would live very very well on £10m for the rest of my life, I already have a nice home, car, and job,
Miles spunking over pictures of David Beckham doesnt count as making a donation to Sport Relief!

miles136

true but at least david welliams did something more than just saying why … true but at least david welliams did something more than just saying why dont you give some money, well done him

Yeah, I like him and enjoyed watching what he did. But is what he did worth over £1m when Eddie Izzard's efforts were worth much less IIRC.
to make matters worse i beleive these celebs get paid for there time doing these shows they dont do it for free
miles136

well like was said above if you have £100m how much do you really need? I … well like was said above if you have £100m how much do you really need? I would live very very well on £10m for the rest of my life, I already have a nice home, car, and job,

If you have done well for yourself and earned 100 million quid, why should you give the majority away?
markq

Miles spunking over pictures of David Beckham doesnt count as making a … Miles spunking over pictures of David Beckham doesnt count as making a donation to Sport Relief!:p

he is not my type
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0wsx5rzqU1qg08eu.jpg
miles136

well like was said above if you have £100m how much do you really need? I … well like was said above if you have £100m how much do you really need? I would live very very well on £10m for the rest of my life, I already have a nice home, car, and job,

Who are you talking about?
Elton John has raised £70m through his aids foundation and given £25m of his own personal wealth in one year alone.

I think you need to rethink who you're having a go at.

Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 23rd Mar 2012
teaonshirt

to make matters worse i beleive these celebs get paid for there time … to make matters worse i beleive these celebs get paid for there time doing these shows they dont do it for free

I'm not sure about that, there was a big uproar when it turned out that Terry Wogan was technically being paid to do the shows. They raise their profile and in turn make more money from it anyway.
Benjimoron

JTT, celebrities etc are grossly overpaid though. If they had 100m then … JTT, celebrities etc are grossly overpaid though. If they had 100m then could give 95m of that and still live like a king/queen. People like Bill Gates are doing the right thing though, I think he's giving like 90% or something away to good causes.

It's actually 95%.
greatest666

If you have done well for yourself and earned 100 million quid, why … If you have done well for yourself and earned 100 million quid, why should you give the majority away?

#if you do not know the answer to that question by now you never will.
teaonshirt

to make matters worse i beleive these celebs get paid for there time … to make matters worse i beleive these celebs get paid for there time doing these shows they dont do it for free

Just Terry Wogan
Did any of use watch that thing on tv yesterday about it...Forgot the comedians name but over a week or something he rode his bike from france / oared across the channel and ran something like 2 or 3 marathons to london or somewhere. £666,000 was close to the value he rose. Quite impressive fitness levels for him to do it. He was in pain tho the last days
JonnyTwoToes

Who are you talking about?Elton John has raised £70m through his aids … Who are you talking about?Elton John has raised £70m through his aids foundation and given £25m of his own personal wealth in one year alone.I think you need to rethink who you're having a go at.

!!!!!!!! who was having a go at Elton? he is one of the ones that does get off his bum and do something and gives his own money
miles136

#if you do not know the answer to that question by now you never will.

Do you give away 90% of your income?

I'll wager Paul McCartney has done considerably more than you for charitable causes
looktothestars.org/cel…ney
greatest666

If you have done well for yourself and earned 100 million quid, why … If you have done well for yourself and earned 100 million quid, why should you give the majority away?

That's my point, was David Beckham ever worth all that money, sure he could kick a football, but he probably enjoyed it and would've played for free like many of us do! I doubt he works harder than many people on min wage. Technically I don't think he's worth much money, so he should probably give it away.
dylanjb100

Did any of use watch that thing on tv yesterday about it...Forgot the … Did any of use watch that thing on tv yesterday about it...Forgot the comedians name but over a week or something he rode his bike from france / oared across the channel and ran something like 2 or 3 marathons to london or somewhere. £666,000 was close to the value he rose. Quite impressive fitness levels for him to do it. He was in pain tho the last days

John Bishop, plus add £1m to that figure and you're close!!
dylanjb100

Did any of use watch that thing on tv yesterday about it...Forgot the … Did any of use watch that thing on tv yesterday about it...Forgot the comedians name but over a week or something he rode his bike from france / oared across the channel and ran something like 2 or 3 marathons to london or somewhere. £666,000 was close to the value he rose. Quite impressive fitness levels for him to do it. He was in pain tho the last days

John Bishop, he is not even rich, yet has done more than his bit
greatest666

Do you give away 90% of your income?I'll wager Paul McCartney has done … Do you give away 90% of your income?I'll wager Paul McCartney has done considerably more than you for charitable causeshttp://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/176-paul-mccartney

Someone who earns millions has much more oppourtunity to give without it affecting their ability to house and feed their family.
Benjimoron

John Bishop, plus add £1m to that figure and you're close!!

Thanks, thought it was only in the 600ks
miles136

John Bishop, he is not even rich, yet has done more than his bit

Thats the one
dxx

It's actually 95%.

Ah, even better then. Exactly my point though, he recognises that he can give so much away and still lead a nice life. I hope he's rewarded for his generosity one day.
Benjimoron

Someone who earns millions has much more oppourtunity to give without it … Someone who earns millions has much more oppourtunity to give without it affecting their ability to house and feed their family.

So where do you want to cap peoples earnings?
How much should someone be allowed to earn before they have to give the vast majority away?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants