Multi region DVD player

Found 9th Dec 2017
My multi region dvd player has just stopped working. I only have 1 multi region dvd, but it's a favourite of ours, so I need to sort something out. We use the player to play this one disc and also music cd's, so it's not the main dvd/blue ray player in the house.

I looked into copying the disc while removing the region coding, but that doesn't seem to be very straight forward, and my laptop won't play it or allow me to copy the files, nor will VLC play it.

Looking out there, it seems multi region players are not as popular as they were and there is limited choice. THIS ONE seems to be about the best I can find, it appears to be decent quality, but it's a somewhat dear solution for just 1 dvd and some cd's.

Any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
I would recommend searching the model of your main dvd blu ray player along with region free code e.g. Sony 100 region free code.

You may find that you can set your device to be region free.
param8433 m ago

I would recommend searching the model of your main dvd blu ray player …I would recommend searching the model of your main dvd blu ray player along with region free code e.g. Sony 100 region free code.You may find that you can set your device to be region free.

Thanks very much. Looks like I'm out of luck though - Sony BDP-S5500
I've not ripped a DVD in years but you should take a look at "DVDFab HD Decrypter" and "WinX DVD Ripper"

From what I've read both free versions of that software should allow you to rip the full disc to your hard drive.

You could use Imgburn to burn a new disc.

m.dvdfab.cn/free

winxdvd.com/dvd…er/
whathifi.com/for…ack

Read comment #2

Says it doesn't work for USA region but will work for other regions. Not sure what region your dvd is. Otherwise you may be better off trying 4Real2016 solution. Goodluck.

Ps just spotted model number is different to the one you mentioned.
Edited by: "param84" 9th Dec 2017
Like 4Real2016 says, just rip it as an ISO to burn or use the software to convert it to a mp4.

dvdfab.cn/tip…htm
Stick the program Anydvd on your laptop it will play the dvd then .
4Real201613 h, 1 m ago

I've not ripped a DVD in years but you should take a look at "DVDFab HD …I've not ripped a DVD in years but you should take a look at "DVDFab HD Decrypter" and "WinX DVD Ripper"From what I've read both free versions of that software should allow you to rip the full disc to your hard drive.You could use Imgburn to burn a new disc.https://m.dvdfab.cn/freehttps://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper/

I tried both but to no avail.
DVDfab put a very intrusive watermark throughout the whole film and Winxdvd Ripper would only do a max of 5 minutes.
I tried Handbrake, but it couldn't break the copyright protection and Freemake put a watermark every 5 mins.
I'll keep searching, but thanks for your help.
kester7611 h, 43 m ago

Like 4Real2016 says, just rip it as an ISO to burn or use the software to …Like 4Real2016 says, just rip it as an ISO to burn or use the software to convert it to a mp4.https://www.dvdfab.cn/tips/how-to-convert-dvd-to-mp4-with-dvd-to-mp4-ripper.htm

I tried it, but it put an intrusive watermark throughout the whole film.
Thanks for your help though.
KemCol9th Dec 2017

Stick the program Anydvd on your laptop it will play the dvd then .

Thanks for that. I can now play it on the laptop, which is a great start, but I also would like to be able to watch on the TV. Appreciate your help.
Pandamansays4 m ago

I tried it, but it put an intrusive watermark throughout the whole …I tried it, but it put an intrusive watermark throughout the whole film.Thanks for your help though.

You can use DVDFAB to rip it and handbrake to convert it to MP4. A little more effort needed in learning how to do it but wont leave a watermark.
OK, I'll look into it. Thanks
Pandamansays12 h, 9 m ago

I tried both but to no avail.DVDfab put a very intrusive watermark …I tried both but to no avail.DVDfab put a very intrusive watermark throughout the whole film and Winxdvd Ripper would only do a max of 5 minutes.I tried Handbrake, but it couldn't break the copyright protection and Freemake put a watermark every 5 mins.I'll keep searching, but thanks for your help.

Your not using them correctly, you need to do a straight rip/copy of the DVD, no encoding of the video/audio at all, the only way you would get a watermark with DVD Fab is if you have encoded the video, its impossible to get a watermark with a straight rip/copy.

When you do a straight rip/copy it simply copies the files off the disc onto your hard drive exactly as they are but with all copy protection removed, it only takes as long as it takes to copy the files from the disc to your hard drive, which isn't that long, nowhere near as long as when you encode the video.

Both of those software have many features including encoding, but some functions aren't fully enabled as its trial software, however doing a straight rip/copy on both is fully enabled.

Once done you can then play them on your PC or media device, or burn them back to disc region free with no protection, then you can play them on your DVD player, which is what I thought you wanted to do.

If its only ever going to be played on a PC or media device then you could also use "Make MKV" this will also do a straight rip/copy but will use an mkv container, of course you wont have any menu's like the original DVD.

makemkv.com/

Forget handbrake your just encoding the video again, which you don't need/want to do.

There are guides for both software on their sites for 1.1 copies, you either rip to ISO, or to folder, VIDEO_TS.

You need to click guide in the first link below (choose Full Disc if you want the entire DVD)

dvdfab.cn/dvd…htm

winxdvd.com/res…htm
Edited by: "4Real2016" 10th Dec 2017
OK, thank's for that.

I had another try, before I read your reply.

I found the straight copy feature on DVDfab and made a copy. I then converted it to MP4 using handbrake and loaded the resulting file onto a usb drive, which the main dvd player accepted and played with no watermark.

I'll try burning it to a Dvd, as you suggest, as this would be the most convenient solution.

Which way provides the best quality as the usb version has the sound slighlty ofset to the video and the picture isn't quite as crisp as the original.
You always lose some quality when you encode, even more so if your not familiar with encoding.

I checked you DVD player manual to see what it supports in the way of file types from USB, best thing for you to do is use Make MKV, you will need to select just the main video and audio track, Dolby Digital (AC3) if its available, if there's no Dolby Digital track then it will have to be one of the following, LPCM, AAC, MP3 or Vorbis.

There is another option, if there's a DTS audio track available, do the same thing as above but select DTS audio, when its finished your have to run it through "tsMuxeR" and choose the output as M2TS muxing, because your player doesn't support DTS in a MKV container but it does in a M2TS container, you could actually have both DD and DTS with M2TS.

You won't lose any quality as your simply putting the original MPEG-2 video in either an MKV container or M2TS container.

videohelp.com/sof…xeR

Easiest option though is rip to ISO then burn to disc.

Your giving my brain a workout, I haven't ripped anything in a long time, but the above should work though.

From the Sony BDP-S5500 manual, I highlighted what is relevant to the above, but you can also see your other options available.

32698086-oxaL2.jpg
Edited by: "4Real2016" 11th Dec 2017
Pandamansays12 h, 35 m ago

OK, thank's for that.I had another try, before I read your reply.I found …OK, thank's for that.I had another try, before I read your reply.I found the straight copy feature on DVDfab and made a copy. I then converted it to MP4 using handbrake and loaded the resulting file onto a usb drive, which the main dvd player accepted and played with no watermark.I'll try burning it to a Dvd, as you suggest, as this would be the most convenient solution.Which way provides the best quality as the usb version has the sound slighlty ofset to the video and the picture isn't quite as crisp as the original.

You can tweek the settings to improve quality and help with lipsyncing. it's the re-encoding process that normally drops the quality, increasing the quality will increase the file size but you should be able to get a 8GB DVD down to about 3GB without any loss of quality. Practice a bit with the PQ settings to see if you can sort the issue out.

As for lip syncing I think there's an option for tweaking this in handbrake.
I really appreciate all your help. I'm away on my annual visiting friends & relatives for Christmas now, but I'll try your suggestions when I get back. Thanks very much indeed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants